IGNORED

Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

So there are some memes already going around about RBPT and their poached Merc staff…

And it got me thinking, this must have happened before in F1. Spygate was ludicrous, bad ITV drama level plot line but it happened. I can imagine Flav pulling this shit.

16 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Fanatsy F1. Why do I have zero points?   Did I miss the deadline for the race. I think I created the team after qualifying.

Yes, the gameweek is locked down prior to the start of qualifying.

I was on for a nice haul of points until my constructor choice fell apart - Red Bull. 😐

1 minute ago, djbhammer said:

Yes, the gameweek is locked down prior to the start of qualifying.

I was on for a nice haul of points until my constructor choice fell apart - Red Bull. Facepalm.

Aww maan. I had such a good selection too!!

Two DNFs for me and I didn’t pick a Ferrari driver :lol: Think mine’s fucked. 

Happy for a lot of drivers though. KMag, Zhou, Mick almost getting in there. A bit for Bottas maybe. Gutted for the McLaren team. 

Maybe I'm getting old but I spent an awful lot of time shouting at the broadcast director for things like looking at a car in the pitlane instead of a fight on track, and crofty for getting names wrong so many times on commentary.

Excellent first race of the season in terms of close racing and battles happening, although a slight shame that DRS seems to still be required at Bahrain at least. Also gutted for McLaren 😔

Ah no I did the same re; the television* director. Yesterday they missed plenty of things, and often cut away from moves/battles that were actually clearly happening on-screen to show stuff that didn't matter.

One thing they still have not learned is that whilst watching a solid two-minute block of start replays is interesting and informative enough, the time not to do it is on lap three when DRS has just been activated and all the cars are still reasonably close.

* edited as per @jonathanhoey's excellent point below!

5 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

Can we make a distinction between the TV director, who was a bit wack this weekend, and the race director, who as far as I can tell didn’t get anything wrong?

Should we congratulate the FIA on a job well done too? :hat:

The TV direction was, as always awful, and not helped by the broken graphics meaning that following what was actually happening was difficult without live timing or whatever.

That being said, if you were only shouting at the TV direction and not Crofty (or Ted...) then that's not too bad.  I was already shouting at both of them about 2 minutes after I turned the coverage on, when they were talking about how Russell would be so disappointed to be off the pace compared to Hamilton qualifying down in 9th, and completely disregarding all of the other qualifying sessions where he was within 0.1 of Hamilton.  They seem to confuse generating faux-excitement with confusing viewers and looking like idiots..

As usual I was watching the Sky pictures with BBC commentary (this year it's Jack Nicholls again, but with Sam Bird replacing Jolyon Palmer). They were very good on the whole. 

I might have mentioned it already in a earlier post but Bird's very quick and switched on. For example he was all over Russell's Q3 mistake the instant it happened. Before Russell had even made it to T2, Bird had said "he's gone too deep into T1 and lost a lot of time there, this lap will be a write-off". Sure enough it was.

So they never got sucked into the "he's so much slower than Hamilton already" trap - they recognised that, apart from that particular error, Russell was generally acquitting himself well so far. 

In truth I don't think many people, even the most ardent Anyone But Lewis viewers, can be expecting Russell to outscore Hamilton this season. I do want Lewis to get WDC8 but I'm hoping he runs him pretty close, though. Assuming the team can give them a car, obviously. 

With the TV director, even when they were focussing on the fight (i.e. Perez vs Hamilton at the end) they insisted on doing mad zooms on one car! It was crazy! You'd get a glimpse of Perez and then it'd zoom right in so the Merc was the only thing on screen. 

Is it the same TV director for every track?

1 minute ago, Geo said:

With the TV director, even when they were focussing on the fight (i.e. Perez vs Hamilton at the end) they insisted on doing mad zooms on one car! It was crazy! You'd get a glimpse of Perez and then it'd zoom right in so the Merc was the only thing on screen. 

Is it the same TV director for every track?

Yeah we didn't actually get to see Perez's spin live because they were too busy being zoomed in on the front wing of the Merc. Infuriating.

2 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

As usual I was watching the Sky pictures with BBC commentary (this year it's Jack Nicholls again, but with Sam Bird replacing Jolyon Palmer).

Ah - has JP gone off to pastures new? Real shame as I very much enjoyed the dynamic between him and Jack Nicholls.

Just been listening to the Autosport post-race podcast in which they happened to mention this. Apparently Jolyon Palmer and Ben Edwards are now doing commentary for F1TV.

In previous seasons I think F1TV used the BBC audio (there’s an option in the iOS F1 timings app to turn on radio commentary, although I normally use the player on the BBC website instead).

However bad you think the sky commentary squad are, try watching the redbull appreciation society on channel 4.  Everything is squarly in term of what Max thinks and does. And then there's Mark Webber stumbling his way through a commentary, it's just awful. 

Am I right in thinking the C4 show is actually contracted out to the TV production company that DC owns?

I know a few of the C4F1 shows last year were hosted in-studio at the Red Bull HQ.  I think it was when Channel 4 had had that server fire that knocked out its broadcast centre. 

I still generally like DC (RBR affiliation notwithstanding) and I have time for Webber too. And I don't mind Jones or Monger. Having said that, I don't often watch much of the C4 coverage, really only if I've had to miss the live race for some reason. 

I thought Naomi Schiff did ok when she was actually talking to drivers, TPs etc but when it was just her and Ted etc she struggled a bit. It much be pretty full on to slot into a team like that doing complex live broadcast on a complex sport when everyone else there has been doing it for years. I wonder if she's going to rotate in an out - like JB? I assume she's still doing a race series this year?

1 hour ago, Sidewaysbob said:

However bad you think the sky commentary squad are, try watching the redbull appreciation society on channel 4.  Everything is squarly in term of what Max thinks and does. And then there's Mark Webber stumbling his way through a commentary, it's just awful. 

They are very biased, much in the same way Sky are towards Hamilton (and Russell) though I don't feel Sky are as extreme. However their presentation style isn't as "OMG ITS A CAR!!! OH LOOK ITS A DRIVER11111!!!! ISNT ALL OF THIS INCREDIBLY EXCITING???????" from a bunch of middle aged men.

Sky F1 are replaying the race tonight at 7pm with ad breaks and the time behind the safety car probably edited down if anyone want to laugh at Red Bull celebrate Ferrari returning to the top again