IGNORED

Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

You are not about to try and emulate that anytime soon. Massively complex. Looks like only the basic tub remains. Oh, and if it doesn't work, back to the other car we go....

1 hour ago, Sidewaysbob said:

regarding the mercs new cooling. this helps explain it

It looks like they've moved it all up.

merc.jpeg

It actually looks like the bodywork is designed to funnel air into the hole, so the cross-section of airflow that's heading for the intake isn't as small as it first appears? Just the ducting is exposed rather than inside the hole if that makes sense?

21 minutes ago, McFly said:

Is it due to increasing aerodynamic flow that the new sidepods are dodgy? Or could someone explain what the issue is please

The issue is Red Bull Racing didn't think of it themselves.

They appear to be rattled by it because in theory, by reducing the frontal cross-section that the car presents to the wind, it could give a big aerodynamic advantage (= lap time) that's hard to copy without fundamentally redesigning your car - which is expensive, and possibly actually impossible in this cost-cap era. 

Horner appears to have run his mouth off about it to the main German motoring press, before trying to row back with all the "I never said that" stuff. Which could (probably should) be interpreted as RBR being genuinely worried about it. 

It didn't translate to lap time today, but again, if you're Mercedes you're not exactly going to show off. Just cruise around making sure that everything (a) works and (b) matches up to your simulator predictions. 

Edit: also what @RFT said below.

37 minutes ago, McFly said:

Is it due to increasing aerodynamic flow that the new sidepods are dodgy? Or could someone explain what the issue is please

If by "dodgy" you mean in terms of legalities (Red Bull's objection), I think the issue is with the mandatory crash structure / mirror mount. This is a deformable cone about a a foot (I think) long and a few inches in diameter that's supposed to protect the driver in a side impact.

In most cars, this part is hidden inside the sidepod, usually at the leading edge.

On the new Merc, this structure is sticking out on its own, and it's shrouded in a load of aerodynamic bodywork - I think in an area where bodywork (that isn't smooth with a certain radius) is banned under the new regs (the new regs are a bit odd to explain but they've been written to stop cars spouting wings and bargeboards via mandating minimum curvatures), with an exception for the mirror mount.

So Red Bull's objection, as I understand it, is that "this assembly isn;t a mirror mount, it's an extra wing by other means". Merc's counter-argument is, "of course it;s the mirror mount, there's a mirror mounted to it."

(Worth saying that the barca-spec Red Bull had some fancy mirror mounts of its own, looking to be designed to clean up the flow over the corner of the sidepod, but not this kind of interpretation)

The sidepods themselves look fine, I think all that's happening isn this pic is the team trying to find out just how much of the outlet they can get away with blanking off and getting the answer "not quite this much".

image.png.109eea535f287dac473a86595e747619.png

Thanks @jonathanhoey and  @RFT very comprehensive, and yes i meant legally/rules dodgy. 

There was a brief bit about mclaren on Tales from the transport museum iirc where an F1 car had a front wing on pylons above the nose, which looked crazy

images.jpeg-1.jpg

Mirrors diverting air flow has been something that's been experimented with for a few seasons. Ferrari had a design in 2018 iirc that they had to alter whilst Williams had to scrap their 2019 mirrors in favour of a more standardised design

2 hours ago, morcs said:

It actually looks like the bodywork is designed to funnel air into the hole, so the cross-section of airflow that's heading for the intake isn't as small as it first appears? Just the ducting is exposed rather than inside the hole if that makes sense?

Actually, looking at that pic, the sidepods probably have the same volume of airflow, it's just the shape that's a bit unusual.

I mean the wing mirror thing is a bit more iffy, but merc have run this by the fia and I'm certain that Horners tears are just salty because again, Adrian didn't fucking think of it.

Wah, etc.

Good point by Davidson there that it's nice to see the drivers having to fight the cars a bit this year. Thought Ted's interview with Pat Simmons was fascinating this morning. 

Now we just need the teams to start showing something close to what they can do. 

Is it still possible to just get single channel Sky Sports F1 with a Sky package?  If so, might that be cheaper somehow if people also want to watch the other entertainment stuff?

I've still got just F1 anyways but I signed up ages ago.  And of course in December I was convinced I would cancel and I was done with the sport, and here I find myself signed up to F1 Fantasy League and looking forward to it coming back.  D'oh.

I think I just really wanna see Lewis take it to RB this year.

5 minutes ago, Sidewaysbob said:

You used to be able to bolt on f1 HD for a tenner back in the day. But these days I think you have to buy the F1 channel, for a small fortune 

Yeah that's what I did.  They said it was for life but it turns out that just meant for 2 years :lol: As it is now I get F1 and movies for £20 or something.

It's incredible how much these cars are having to tip toe around medium to slow corners. Like driving on ice. 

Merc look to have sorted out their porpoising with simple bracing rods at the back of the floor. 

34 minutes ago, mexos said:

F for Williams design team.

image.thumb.png.90e098da904446e3c7b598db1c7a96d1.png

14 minutes ago, Blue said:

Why? Looking on my phone so things are a bit small. 

F as in 'pay respects'. 

They won't be pleased about a photographer being able to get right under their brand new car and publish hi-def photos of it dangling under a crane. 

The shitting bullshit of the way drive to survive is edited is so fucking irritated. there are good stories they could be telling... but instead they make mountains out of molehills and ignore the mountains.

(I am 10 minutes into the new series... more hot takes to come I am sure :D )