Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

20 minutes ago, layten said:

I wonder how much longer the FIA are going to take to sweep Red Bull's financial doping under the rug.

We’ll find out in the next 14 days apparently but Marko knows the FIA aren’t going to do anything (these are comments from  

an F1 Insider interview)

16 minutes ago, layten said:

I wonder how much longer the FIA are going to take to sweep Red Bull's financial doping under the rug.

I honestly don't know why they bother. You know you are not going to penalise the team in any meaningful way. So just accept their bullshit accounts and let's move on. Why go through all this. No one will be happy at the end of it.

48 minutes ago, wev said:

Im really surprised it wasn't lit up like a Christmas Tree, seems to be a massive and easily resolved oversight

Paul di Resta commented on that from the Sky Pad. The point he made was that the FIA could mandate all recovery vehicles being brightly lit up for use in conditions of poor visibility, but they can't put lights on every marshal. It wasn't only dangerous for Gasly (who, in his radio tirade, was understandably preoccupied with the possibility he could have suffered a fatal injury like Bianchi's). 

I don't love PdR but I do believe he knows his stuff - after all he does have extensive experience across F1, touring cars and WEC. 

Jack Nichols on the BBC made the point that there's nothing inherently unusual about a recovery vehicle being on a live racetrack - it happens every weekend at every course. That's what the Safety Car is there for, so you don't have to bring out the red flag every time a car needs lifted.

The difference that the FIA doesn't seem to have acknowledged at this event is the severe weather. That trackside camera is quite flattering to the conditions - if that was all you'd seen, you wouldn't think the visibility was all that bad compared to the horrendous onboards. 

3 hours ago, ryodi said:

We’ll find out in the next 14 days apparently but Marko knows the FIA aren’t going to do anything (these are comments from  

an F1 Insider interview)

I don't think they'll strip titles but if they want the budget cap to stick then the punishment has to be meaningful. There's already some story circulating that Wolff has said that Mercedes will overspend next year if Red Bull get away with a fine.

Annoyingly it's another one of those stories that just seems to have appeared out of nowhere. I can't even find where the rumour started. 

That Marko quote should set alarm bells riniging at the FIA (yeah, I know lol) - if the teams think they lack teeth, and they won't punish infringements in any meaningful way, then the risk is well worth the reward every single time.

They have to do something to make teams think [at least] twice.

3 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

Paul di Resta commented on that from the Sky Pad. The point he made was that the FIA could mandate all recovery vehicles being brightly lit up for use in conditions of poor visibility, but they can't put lights on every marshal. It wasn't only dangerous for Gasly (who, in his radio tirade, was understandably preoccupied with the possibility he could have suffered a fatal injury like Bianchi's). 

I don't love PdR but I do believe he knows his stuff - after all he does have extensive experience across F1, touring cars and WEC. 

Jack Nichols on the BBC made the point that there's nothing inherently unusual about a recovery vehicle being on a live racetrack - it happens every weekend at every course. That's what the Safety Car is there for, so you don't have to bring out the red flag every time a car needs lifted.

The difference that the FIA doesn't seem to have acknowledged at this event is the severe weather. That trackside camera is quite flattering to the conditions - if that was all you'd seen, you wouldn't think the visibility was all that bad compared to the horrendous onboards. 

All perfectly valid, and I agree completely.

I think they really need to look at procedure. Lights on recovery vehicles need to be better, but also I think the delta needs to be looked at. We know they can apply lots of mini sectors to a circuit so I do t see why they can't have an adaptive delta that moves with the recovery team and forces the drivers to literally crawl through that sector because at the moment it seems the delta is there to say "we want you to slow down but also go fast to catch up to the safety car".

Obviously they also need to stamp out the drivers pressuring the safety car too and really drive home the Safety part of its name

Agreed. I‘ll also repeat what I’ve been saying for years. The F1 race director (or an appropriate deputy) needs to have a Voice Of God button that cuts over the entire radio net. It wouldn’t be used all the time/for mundane directions, but it should be available for time-critical safety information. 

“All personnel, slow vehicle at turn 12. Sector 2 is a slow zone.” That kind of thing. 

56 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

Agreed. I‘ll also repeat what I’ve been saying for years. The F1 race director (or an appropriate deputy) needs to have a Voice Of God button that cuts over the entire radio net. It wouldn’t be used all the time/for mundane directions, but it should be available for time-critical safety information. 

“All personnel, slow vehicle at turn 12. Sector 2 is a slow zone.” That kind of thing. 

What, like they do in all forms of endurance racing? I even read that in Freitas voice.

17 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

I think you've mixed us up with the UK politics thread.

God I wish someone would stick tractors in front of the Tories in the wet.

13 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

What’s the alternative? Watch the World Cup!? 😂🤣

Absolutely not, are you kidding

The vehicle on the track was some class of loader. It might have been a telehandler or a wheel loader but it wasn't a tractor. 

I know this doesn't matter a jot in the grand scheme of things but it's the trivial thing my shitty brain has decided to be annoyed by this week. 

23 hours ago, SMD said:

I mean this in the nicest, most respectful way possible but: you guys still watching this corrupt shit?

No, I keep a watching brief. It's the best way to be, you get to point and laugh without having to actually watch it.

Zak :sealclap: we are aligned:

He writes: "The overspend breach, and possibly the procedural breaches, constitute cheating by offering a significant advantage across technical, sporting and financial regulations.

"The FIA has run an extremely thorough, collaborative and open process. We have even been given a one-year dress rehearsal (in 2020), with ample opportunity to seek any clarification if details were unclear. So, there is no reason for any team to now say they are surprised.

"The bottom line is any team who has overspent has gained an unfair advantage both in the current and following year's car development.

"We don't feel a financial penalty alone would be a suitable penalty for an overspend breach or a serious procedural breach. There clearly needs to be a sporting penalty in these instances, as determined by the FIA.

"We suggest that the overspend should be penalised by way of a reduction to the team's cost cap in the year following the ruling, and the penalty should be equal to the overspend plus a further fine - ie an overspend of $2m in 2021, which is identified in 2022, would result in a $4m deduction in 2023 ($2m to offset the overspend plus $2m fine). 

"For context, $2m is (a) 25-50% upgrade to (an) annual car-development budget and hence would have a significant positive and long-lasting benefit. 

"In addition, we believe there should be minor overspend sporting penalties of a 20% reduction in CFD and wind tunnel time. These should be enforced in the following year, to mitigate against the unfair advantage the team has and will continue to benefit from."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/63256734

Where as I said: 

The fine comes from their 2023 budget. For a minor overspend make the fine £10m + whatever theyoverspent from their next year's budget (increasing on a sliding scale for repeated offences) and that is apretty good deterrent.

A cost cap reduction feels pointless as well. Imagine the Red Bull is rubbish this year but the cost cap breach allowed them to win the 2021 title. What team would stick to the cap if as the season nears the end they know an overspend will win then the title that the FIA won’t take away from them. I can’t see an easy way for the FIA to do this, imagine they dock 5 points from both drivers and 10 constructors points from 2021 as the punishment teams can budget that loss into their planning and it also wouldn’t make any difference to the standings this year so what’s to stop Red Bull doing it again.

They'll do nothing.

Probably fine Mclaren for daring to speak out about it.

How have we gone from talking about Masi gifting redbulls title, and them winning it because they spent too much money? I expect a legal team to be working on that budget loophole right now 'you said dollars and not Ugandan rupees, which when converted at that exchange rate brings us bob on budget...'