Formula One - 2022 - Rllmuk League is live

T Pot

He's (Palou) Going to the McLaren indycar team.

Zak Brown's quote from the press release: 

“We have always said that we want the best talent at McLaren, and it’s exciting to be able to include Alex on that list. I’m also looking forward to seeing him get behind the wheel of a Formula 1 car as part of our Testing of Previous Cars (TPC) programme alongside Pato O’Ward and Colton Herta as we continue to build our driver talent. Alex is an incredibly talented driver who has won in every series he has raced in, and I’m happy to welcome him to the McLaren family.”

So, only driving a Mclaren F1 car as a test. So, for 2023, Danny Ricc is likely staying with McLaren F1. but after that, well it gives them two solid options if Ricc doesn't improve (And/Or Lando moves on.).

However, it's all an almighty mess as the Ganassi indycar team have announced they're taking up an option for a third year on Palou's contract so this is going to be a clash of lawyers....

1 hour ago, RFT said:

So, for 2023, Danny Ricc is likely staying with McLaren F1.

I'd be amazed, unless he has a miracle 2nd half of the season. If he gets a 2nd half of the season.

There has been a clarification on the rules for overtaking this year as Jonathan Noble points out in his Motorsports.com article. At the start of the year, race director Niels Wittich offered clarity on the matter to teams.

Although not binding, stewards will consider the following when deciding if a driver deserves punishment for forcing another car off track. A car overtaking on the outside must be ahead of the car on the inside after the apex to earn the right to the corner, otherwise the inside car has the right to squeeze them off the track as long as they stay within track limits. 

Cars overtaking on the inside must have their front tyres "alongside" the outside car no later than the apex in order to earn the right to not have to leave the outside car room on the exit. 

So essentially, there is no requirement to leave space for the outside car if you are deemed to have fulfilled the relevant criteria. 

"The racing rules may appear to encourage drivers being a bit more ruthless with their rivals on the way out of corners than they may have been in the past, but for now that's the way that both the FIA and F1 drivers are happy to accept." 

They should just have a basic rule that says, if either car spins or crashes during or after an overtake, both cars will have a drive through. That way everyone has to play nice, no blame gets apportioned and everyone would be looking out for each other. 

Great that they can write all these complex rules, and yet they still have quotes around alongside, don’t really quantify what that means (are we talking front wheels by rear wheels? Are they saying it’s ok to drive over the car behinds rear wing?) and of course quite how they think a driver can do all of this at 170mph in a split second with tiny mirrors that vibrate like they are on a washing machine, who knows..

49 minutes ago, Corranga said:

and yet they still have quotes around alongside, don’t really quantify what that means (are we talking front wheels by rear wheels? 

Those are my quotation marks to highlight that exact stupidity.

That's talking about cars overtaking down the inside of a corner. 

What about when someone overtakes you around the outside, then turns sharply across you, hits you and takes themselves out? Why is that still a penalty to the inside car? 

It's nice they've actually made an effort to write it down and apply it, this is genuinely a huge improvement on the Who's Line Is It Anyway approach of last couple of seasons already.

My question now is, at the point at which you're at the apex, is there actually a lot you can do to avoid a collision? Seems like by the apex you've already made the vast majority of commitment to your line and speed.

But yeah, I'd take a stupid rule that's written down and applied consistently over nothing at all.

It should just be named the Max lunge rule… how stupid is it that its the front tyres by the apex with no mention of being in control, able to make the corner or compromising the car taking the non V approach.

Its taking the rules below the standard of karting, utterly mental.

1 hour ago, John0 said:

It's nice they've actually made an effort to write it down and apply it, this is genuinely a huge improvement on the Who's Line Is It Anyway approach of last couple of seasons already.

My question now is, at the point at which you're at the apex, is there actually a lot you can do to avoid a collision? Seems like by the apex you've already made the vast majority of commitment to your line and speed.

But yeah, I'd take a stupid rule that's written down and applied over nothing at all.

I think a lot of stuff is written down that we simply never get to see..

On your question though, I'm going to do that annoying thing where someone replies with a question, because I think there is something pretty integral missing from their text.

Where is the apex?

So, the apex is defined as the point on the inside edge of a corner that the car passes closest to.

It's not marked, and it can change.  In fact, if an overtake attempt is occurring, we know for absolute certainty that there are 2 apexes, as the cars are travelling on different arcs, so must apex at different points.  There could even be more as a defensive car might enter the corner at such a narrow angle, they double apex it.

To actually answer your question, in theory, according to physics, the apex is the point at which you should start accelerating to maximise corner speed, so is there something you can do?  Well, the car on the inside can accelerate less, and thus not run the car on the outside off the track, or the car on the outside can do the same (back out) to avoid collision.

In practice, well, we're back to split seconds, and views from mirrors and how do you decide who deserves that piece of track...

23 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Yeah, I should have been clearer - making the corner not at the expense of the driver who has the quicker line but has to give it up because of a stupid rule

So no overtaking someone who is on the quickest line through any given corner then? Should be exciting.

42 minutes ago, Corranga said:

Where is the apex?

It's a crucial point and you're not the only one asking it. I think it's important to understand that these are not binding rules, only considerations to assist the stewards in making their decisions. So, back to inconsistencies then. I think the biggest thing they need to get consistent is the steward line-up. Pay them, make them permanent, every race positions.

14 minutes ago, Blue said:

So no overtaking someone who is on the quickest line through any given corner then? Should be exciting.

It encourages the ‘get out of my way or we are having a crash and it will be your fault’ approach - its a mad rule clarification that goes again the one that knob led Max last year - if the car on the outside gets pushed off the track or there is any contact but the car inside is ahead its an auto penalty as there would be no way to prove the ‘attacking’ car was nt going to make the corner and remember all that means is staying within the white lines.

Crucially the dive bomb prevents under speed in and over speed out for the defending car (switcharoo) because its too late to change your approach mid corner when you have a car parking there at speed.

Im all for overtaking of course but it should be fair for both parties and not encourage a technique recently banned.