IGNORED

How easily can you name your top 5 games of all time?

Jamie John

There's been some chat in the gaming abstinence thread about Backloggd, a website that lets you keep track of your gaming collection in an attractive way with various lists. I'm a big fan of lists, so I immediately made an account when I saw the site and logged my games. One of the things you can do when you sign up is choose your five favourite games of all time to display on your profile. Easy, I thought, and immediately added Breath of the Wild and Dark Souls. After that, however, it wasn't so easy, and I really struggled to pin down what are, definitively, my top 5 favourite games ever, no quibbles, caveats, disclaimers or nuanced contextual explanations. I felt a bit like that knight in the Holy Grail when the weird bloke asks him his favourite colour and he gets it wrong.

Anyway, I eventually settled on the following, but I'm still not entirely happy with them:

Breath of the Wild

Dark Souls

Shadow of the Colossus

Mario Odyssey

The Last of Us Remastered

Those are five utterly fantastic games, obviously, but are they really, truly, definitely my favourite games ever? Did I, in fact, prefer TLOU part 2 to part 1? Dark Souls gets a bit naff towards the end - is it genuinely deserving of a place in this list? Shadow of the Colossus is absolutely an important game, and a formative one for me personally (the original, anyway, not the remaster), but is it truly one my top 5 favourite ever games? And what about the games I've missed out, like Final Fantasy 7, Half Life 2, Resident Evil 4, Ocarina of Time, Return of the Obra Dinn? Should they be there instead? And, ultimately, when you stop and consider it, what even is a game, really? Makes you think.

Hmm.

What are your top five favourite games ever? And how certain are you that they truly are your favourites?

I can’t pick 5, but I keep a list of my top 20 or so on my phone and swap them about every so often,

Spoiler

Top Games Of All Time

Fallout 3 / NV (360)

Skyrim (360)

Final Fantasy 7&9 (PS1)

Mass Effect Trilogy (360)

Bioshock 1&2 (360)

Borderlands 2 (360)

Monster Hunter World (XBO)

Pokemon (GB)

Animal Crossing New Leaf (3DS)

The Witcher 3 (XBO)

Breath Of The Wild (Switch)

Diablo 3 (Switch)

Tomb Raider 2 (PS1)

Far Cry 3 (360)

Fable 1-3 (360)

Red Dead Redemption (360)

Stardew Valley (Switch)

The Last Of Us (PS3)

Alex Kidd In Miracle World (MS)

Football Manager (PC)

Xenoblade Chronicles (Switch)

Turtles In Time (NES)

Wild Arms (PS1)

Alan Wake (360)

Broken Sword (PS1)

Mickey Mouse - Castle Of Illusion (MS)

Left 4 Dead (360)

Resident Evil 4 (GC)

Shenmue 1&2 (DC)

Dragon Quest 11 (Switch)

My top 2 are always going to be Skyrim and Fallout 3, the other 3 of my top 5 would change daily 

1 minute ago, CovisGod said:

I can’t pick 5, but I keep a list of my top 20 or so on my phone and swap them about every so often,

Reveal hidden contents

Top Games Of All Time

Fallout 3 / NV (360)

Skyrim (360)

Final Fantasy 7&9 (PS1)

Mass Effect Trilogy (360)

Bioshock 1&2 (360)

Borderlands 2 (360)

Monster Hunter World (XBO)

Pokemon (GB)

Animal Crossing New Leaf (3DS)

The Witcher 3 (XBO)

Breath Of The Wild (Switch)

Diablo 3 (Switch)

Tomb Raider 2 (PS1)

Far Cry 3 (360)

Fable 1-3 (360)

Red Dead Redemption (360)

Stardew Valley (Switch)

The Last Of Us (PS3)

Alex Kidd In Miracle World (MS)

Football Manager (PC)

Xenoblade Chronicles (Switch)

Turtles In Time (NES)

Wild Arms (PS1)

Alan Wake (360)

Broken Sword (PS1)

Mickey Mouse - Castle Of Illusion (MS)

Left 4 Dead (360)

Resident Evil 4 (GC)

Shenmue 1&2 (DC)

Dragon Quest 11 (Switch)

My top 2 are always going to be Skyrim and Fallout 3, the other 3 of my top 5 would change daily 

Nope, you've got to choose 5. Sorry.

Easy, because I maintain a Top N Games of All Time lost (currently at 196 entries). 

These are my top 5 (though 1&2 occasionally trade places):

Rez Infinite

Deus Ex

Halo

Day of the Tentacle

Rock Band 3

(I only allow myself one entry per series,* but that wouldn't affect the top 5 at all)

* except where games wildly diverge in genre/developer/aren't really a series — so Dunes 1 & 2 are both in the list

easy. They’ll be the games I keep going back to. Probably ingrained on me at an early age, or the absolute pinnacle of the genre:

R-Type

Outrun

ISS Pro 98

AC odyssey

Unreal Tournament ‘99

PGR2/4 are bubbling under.

This is what I said in '17:

On 02/09/2017 at 09:46, Qazimod said:

1. Iridis Alpha
2. Persona 4 Golden
3. Rhythm Tengoku
4. Wario Ware Inc
5. Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike 

In hindsight, having RT and WWI in there seems a little greedy. And as good as 3rd Strike is, ArcSys has been producing some awesome fighters lately. It's tricky.

(Oh, and Bloodborne is number 6. It'll be interesting to see how Elden Ring compares...)

Spelunky and Dwarf Fortress vie for the top two - you'd get a different answer on different days. Probably Spelunky top, because I haven't played DF in so long (but only because I cannot commit the time).

Robotron is probably third. I rarely play it these days, but I adore it as being possibly the most pure and pefect arcade game that has ever existed. If anyone mentions the word "arcade" I hear Robotron's chirps and bleeps and warbles. It has the very best sound of any game ever. (This isn't a hill I'm prepared to die on, it's a simple statement of fact.) After that is harder.

Rez at 4 (whatever the best version is currently).

Now I've had to look at a list I've had for a long while of a top 20, and I think I'd plump for number 9 from there for number 5 now. Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2.

So:

Spelunky

Dwarf Fortress

Robotron

Rez

THPS 2

1. Streets of Rage 2 - Loved it from the moment I first played it. Must have played it through hundreds of times over the years. It’s the perfect beat em up.

2. Deathsmiles - My favourite shooter of all time, and the game that opened my eyes to the bullet hell genre. Possibly helped by the fact I expected so little when I bought it.

3. Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir - Not everyone’s cup of tea, but certainly mine. I love the atmosphere, the animation, the sound, the combat, literally everything about it is amazing to me. It truly absorbed me with its story of sadness.

4. Yakuza 0 - My favourite game in my favourite game series. It has hours and hours of stuff to do and no game has ever made me laugh like this. 

5. Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike - Hands down my favourite 1 on 1 fighter of all time. It’s absolute perfection for its genre.

I’m dead certain on the first 4, the only one I had to think about was 3rd Strike. I think I could be convinced to replace that with the right game. The other 4 would be considerably more difficult to displace.

Naming my personal best is easy but don't ask me to put them in order. So, in no particular order:

Dark Souls

Disco Elysium

Thief II: The Metal Age

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

Halo: Combat Evolved

I do love a lot of shmups but they can be bloody horrible an hard, i.e. Gradius V.   I have a huge soft spot for Tenchu Z, which I loved playing through several times... but its objectively a janky mess :D 

Bayonetta

Sega Rally

Monster Hunter Generations

Dark Souls

Halo

It's hard to reel off much beyond my first two as well, but I fairly quickly arrived at:

Bloodborne 

Breath of the Wild 

Slay the Spire 

Obra Dinn 

Oxygen Not Included 

Easy top 4!

Zelda Breath of the Wild

Halo

Rocket League

Slay the Spire

Impossible to pick the fifth from these

Spoiler

Dark Souls

Streets of Rage 4

World of Warcraft

The Witness

Mario 3D World

Resident Evil 4

Rallisport Challenge

Wave Race

Championship Manager 01/02

PES 2018

Run Baby Run is at number 1.

These are the next 4 but I don’t know how to order them:

Mega-lo-Mania

Mario 64

New Super Mario Bros U

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

The first three were an instant thought.

Phantasy Star Online - Dreamcast, Gamecube, Xbox.

Star Wars Galaxies - PC

Zelda OoT - N64

The Elder Scrolls Skyrim - PC

Ninja Gaiden Black - Xbox

I sometimes swap a title or two in or out of this list, but generally it looks like:

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Super Mario World

Street Fighter II

Final Fantasy Tactics

Sonic The Hedgehog

And the nearlys:

Gunstar Heroes

Super Metroid

OutRun

Dark Souls

Dragon Quest V

1. Link’s Awakening

2. Halo

3. Super Mario World

4. GoldenEye

5. Ocarina of Time

Not necessarily the games I’d take to a desert island, but the ones that had the most impact the first time I played them

Breath of the Wild

Overwatch

Titanfall

Sekiro

Halo 3

I’ve certainly had my fun with much older games but they are a product of their time and rarely stand up today in modern terms. It will be infesting to see what my list is like in another 10 years.

I'm in the club with a list on my phone, but always have the debate with myself when this sort of thing comes up about what 'best' means

My current top 5 is this

1. Zelda BOTW
  2. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  3. Super Mario 64
  4. Clash Royale
  5. Modnation Racers

My dilemma is how I think of best, in my mind BotW is the most innovative and crafted game I've ever seen, other devs still haven't caught up with it. That said though I never finished it, and whilst I'd not classify Clash Royale as the same pinnacle of development I've played it every day for almost 6 years. Many things Clash Royale has done have been just as influential (or utterly ripped off by some games like Golf Clash), as Zelda has, across the mobile gaming world. 

It feels odd to me that my best game of all time is one I've never finished and probably only have 50-60h registered with it, I'm also not going with the flow when you need to answer these questions with the 'correct' answer - i think Sgt Peppers is shit and don't like most films that top those lists. 

Halo CE

GoldenEye

Metal Gear Solid 3

Sonic 3 and Knuckles

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2

This is largely based on the extent of my fond memories of how much impact they had on my when I first played them, how addicted to them I was at their peak, and how much enjoyment I've got out of them over the years. It's not necessarily based on which one I'd most like to play right now.

For example, I played all through MGS3 (vanilla Snake Eater, not Subsistence!) several times on the PS2, on several difficulties - and yet I got the HD version for Xbox 360 probably about 8 years ago now, but I still haven't finished my first playthrough of that. (Left it on hold somewhere around The Fear, I think.) And yet I'd still class it as one of my favourite ever games, because of how impactful I found that first PS2 playthrough, and how impressed I was with all the little touches and bits of polish throughout the game.

Similar for Halo: I still think the first is the best campaign, but if I want a quick blast of Halo these days, I'm more likely to zip through a Halo Reach mission or Firefight session.

21 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Dark Souls 

Vagrant Story

Ys VIII or Felghana or Celceta

Devil May Cry 3 SE

Front Mission 3

Possibly. 

Vagrant Story was probably my number 6, so thank you for listing it. It was such a hard choice between it and THPS 2. The fact that it doesn't feature more often is a little disappointing.