Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredders Revenge (Xbox Gamepass) - 19/06/22

Deliver Us The Moon (PC) - 21/06/22

Outriders Worldslayer (PC) - 03/07/22

Stray (PS5) - 24/07/22 

As Dusk Falls (Xbox Gamepass) - 26/07/22

In Progress:

Elden Ring (PS5)

Horizon Forbidden West (PS5)

1. 01/01 - PS5 - Guardians of the Galaxy - 8.5/10 - Really enjoyed myself over the 17hrs, great writing and enjoyable gameplay.

2. 16/01 - PS5 - Hades - 9.5/10 - Fantastic game that I haven’t been able to put down for the past 2 weeks, played for 50hrs and saw credits however might dip back in every once in a while as I still enjoy each run.

3. 05/02 - PS5 - Life Is Strange: True Colors - 8/10 - After really enjoying the original Life is Strange I haven't played the others however I decided to grab this in the Christmas PSN sale last year and I am glad I did. I enjoyed the story, characters, settings and music, I also really like the sensing Emotions mechanic. Not sure if I enjoyed as much as the original but would still recommend for anyone who has enjoyed the previous games before.

First game done. A nice enough little narrative short that gently subverts expectations and then ends. Nothing too exciting but it's about half an hour long and free on Itch.

01/01 - How We Know We're Alive (Mac)

scrshot-hwnwa-gp1.thumb.jpeg.bcd9a6665527197a651fed96218dd418.jpeg

1. Return of the Obra Dinn (01/01)

Lots written about this but after feeling a bit overwhelmed and not sure for the first couple of hours, got a couple of useful hints off the thread here then I was off. Brilliantly told story, really clever puzzles and the sound is incredible. And I’ve started ‘22 well, one day, one game finished. 

9/10

Next up is finishing Halo Infinite hopefully

1. Halo Infinite (2020) - XSX via Game Pass

Halo.thumb.jpg.3e1a84864802aa3ac3cc25bb19fefe29.jpg

Kicking off 2022 with one of the most uneven games I've played in a very long time. To reiterate what others have said many times over, the first two thirds of this, when you're in the open world, is repetitive and often quite choppy, but fantastic fun all the same. The movement, weapons, grapple hook, vehicles and blast coils (possibly my favourite addition to the game) combine with great effect to give you Halo's patented '30 seconds of fun' on tap, and I took full advantage of this, clearing every enemy stronghold, capturing every base, rescuing every stranded squad and finding every upgrade core. The world itself is pretty uninteresting with very little in the way of anything emergent or spontaneous, but the core gameplay loop was good enough that I didn't really care.

Unfortunately, the final third of the game sees you forced with little warning into what felt at times like a never-ending series of purple corridors, bosses, mini-bosses and interminable cutscenes (ones which, by the final stretch, I was just skipping straight through). Some of the encounters in this section of the game can be frustrating to the point of being miserable: the animation becomes sluggish, the deaths from unseen enemies feel resoundingly unfair and the flaws in the checkpointing become agonisingly apparent. I managed to finish the game on Heroic, but I probably should have just dropped the difficulty late on to save my blood pressure. I admit to heaving a big sigh of relief once the credits finally rolled.

An odd experience, overall, quite obviously unfinished and not the game the developers wanted to ship, but the one they were forced to. Hopefully some DLC later this year will even things out a bit and introduce some variety. As it is, I played this for 25 hours and had a great time for about 15 of those hours, but there were definitely several sections I could have done without.

7/10

Jan

02/01 Katamari Damacy REROLL (PC) One of the things I love about GamePass is that the achievements give me an excuse to replay a game I've already done and dusted. This is still one of my favourite games ever and the best thing about this rerelease is that it allowed me to play it outside of playing it in a museum (the PS2 version was never released in Oz.) A bright colourful apocalypse with amazing music, the only downside is that long sessions give me incredible motion sickness. Will Namco ever rerelease We Love Katamari? I hope so. It's still on GamePass so there's no excuse for anyone who hasn't played it to try it out.

461038-katamari-damacy-reroll-screenshot

Abandoned games

04/01 YIIK: A Postmodern RPG Progress halted by a weird bug I can't seem to bypass. Pity.

2. Bowser's Fury (2021) - Switch

467440499_BowsersFury.thumb.jpg.8ffa3acd903255d11306112ee0d31d58.jpg

I'm mopping up some of the stuff I started last year and didn't finish, and today it was Bowser's Fury's turn to be ticked off, which I've been chipping away at here and there since about February. It's another one where lots has been written about it already, so I won't go on. I thought it was good, but it definitely does feel like a tarted up tech demo or proof of concept piece. Horses for courses, but I prefer the richer, deeper and more thematically varied levels of something like Odyssey or Galaxy to this more open-world Mario. Personally, I hope this isn't the route that Nintendo go down with the next 3D Mario game, especially when you consider that even the relatively empty world in this chugs a bit on the Switch.

That said, I'm never going to turn my nose up at more Mario, and lots of the little levels and challenges on offer here were good fun. Apart from the setting, it doesn't introduce much that I haven't seen before, and the new stuff that is introduced I would rather have done without: the giant Mario vs giant Bowser fight is fun the first time, but after that I just ignored it for the remainder of the game, while having Bowser pop up every now and again I mostly just found annoying rather than challenging. Still, I liked the game enough to get all 100 shines, an I enjoyed the co-op mechanic that let my three year-old play as Bowser Jr and fly around twatting things with the paint brush (even if he did get a bit scared when 'Daddy Bowser' turned up, bless him).

8/10

Completed in 2022:

Spoiler

1. Halo Infinite (2021) - XSX - 7/10

2. Bowser's Fury (2021) - Switch - 8/10

Let's get these 2022 completions off and running them!

1. 01/01/2022 - Final Fight: Streetwise (PS2)

Remember back in the mists of time when 3D beat-em-ups had a bit of a little renaissance? No? Well, they did, honest. FF:S, from 2006, was one of those games, trying to leverage the Final Fight brand into a more expansive title in a fully 3D world. Fun fact: I was actually at the 2005 E3 when this was being previewed and I did see it, but never got around to demoing it. Anyway, I digress.

FF:S sees Kyle Travers trying to find his brother Cody (from FF), who has gone missing. Along the way you'll bump into some old friends (Mike Hagger and Guy) and generally just punch your way through the story and side missions. There are some positives; your hits do have a nice crunch to them and the structure of the game allows you to explore within the confines of each part of the city. You can buy moves and have some limited boosting of your character available and there are plenty of weapons to lay the pain with.

The not-so-good: even for 2006, it looks rough. The hit boxes of enemies (especially bosses) are dreadful, with their hits seemingly having incredible range whilst the same cannot be said for yours, and too often you can be almost stun-locked by successive hits. The bosses are largely awful and cheap and it suffers from a boss rush at the end with no ability to heal and a camera that hates you immensely. The fact that it is quite short is a blessing.

Every so often I do try and play a beat-em-up - either a 2D one (old arcade games or something newer on Steam) - and every time I wonder why, given that in general they are repetitive to the point of boredom and often suffer from feeling grossly unfair. To its credit, FF:S wasn't actually as bad as a lot of games I've played (and sacrilege alert - I found this less boring than Streets of Rage 4), but even so I'm glad it's done.

2. 02/01/2022 - The Forgotten City (PC)

I absolutely loved this, so much so that not only did I finish it within a day (I never do that), I also did it all on my own (I almost always use a walkthrough for any game I play - case in point, even FF:S above I liked to know what was coming). The exception to this was when I had realised I had got to the final conversation and I figured I might as well do that just the once (as it was quite long and fraught with points of failure).

Anyway, the game: It's wonderful. Without any spoiling of the story, it deals with time loops in a really clever way, as well as weaving-in a function to the narrative that lets you escape having to do all the same things again. The characters are well written and acted, the setting is both beautiful, haunting and mysterious and the story was actually really interesting - though I'm a real sucker for Roman mythology. The various tasks and actions you undertake all felt logical and at no point did I feel lost or confused at my next steps.

Very few games ever resonate with me and leave a deep connection: Mass Effect 3 did (especially the Citadel DLC), What Remains of Edith Finch and now this - mainly because of the canon ending, which, as I said in the thread, I found really poignant. Honestly, if you play it, you *have* to go for the canon ending.

If this had been finished last year then it would've been my GOTY without question (though if you saw my list, that's not necessary a high bar ;)), but even so, it's a cracker to start 2022 with.

Bought the kids myself a Switch for Christmas so been replaying some favourites from when I was a kid. I should note that the only other game I’ve completed in the last 10 years or so is Professor Layton on DS during lockdown 2020.

So far I’ve finished:

1. Super Mario Bros 3

2. Super Mario World

3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

4. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

5. Donkey Kong Country

6. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest

7. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble!

8. Super Mario Odyssey

9. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Oh hey it's this again

2021/65a. Star Hunter DX (Space Cadet, 1CC, 19.3mil)

I first wrote about this when I shamelessly credit-fed it here; since then I've gone back for a few more goes and have been really struggling to chain a good run together. It turns out the reason for this is that I am a big idiot as I had completely forgotten about a really crucial mechanic in the game.

In short: your bombs delete bullets and refill your bullet time gauge. If you graze bullets (fly close to them without dying to them), it fills a gauge that replaces your bombs

Suddenly I'd gone from bombing occasionally and conserving them as you only get three per life, to bombing the shit out of everything and being able to play the game in almost permanent bullet time. Literally realised this half-way through the successful run and terrorised my way through the rest of the game. The thing is, if you want to score big, you can't abuse bullet time like this too much as you need a bit of time between activations to build your multiplier back up. It's brilliant - an excellent risk/reward mechanic mixed in with a way to make the game survivable. I've gone from being pretty positive on this to absolutely gushing now, the mechanical design is excellent and despite the fact I've just finished it I'm going back in for another go right away.

1: 03/01/2022 Timespinner (PC) [trailer]

Quite a short Metroidvania with RPG elements very similar to Symphony Of The Night and other Castlevania games.  The difficulty is pretty low on the default difficulty setting, but it meant it didn't get frustrating and no grinding was required to beat bosses etc. It didn't give much incentive to use the different orbs (the weapons) you can pick up throughout the game though, I chose some orbs pretty early on and as they were leveled up switching would have required some grinding just to inflict the same amount of damage. It was overall pretty enjoyable.
Took about 9h40m with 100% map completion.

Second game finished off. People keep saying Sonic Generations was actually pretty good, and with it getting the old FPS boost on Xbox I thought it'd be worth clearing from the Games with Gold pile of shame.

I shouldn't have bothered. A turd at 60fps is still a turd.

Edit: I somehow forgot about finishing The Origami King this morning as well. One of the best in the series, I reckon, let down only by some unnecessary padding. 

04/01 - The Pedestrian (Series X)

03/01 - Paper Mario: The Origami King (Switch)

03/01 - Sonic Generations (Series X)

01/01 - How We Know We're Alive (Mac)

On 02/01/2022 at 21:54, strawdonkey said:

2021/65a. Star Hunter DX (Space Cadet, 1CC, 19.3mil)

01. The Artful Escape

02. Rhythm Doctor

From what I've read of it, The Artful Escape seems to have been a bit polarising. I've heard a few people suggesting it's toilet and others having a great time with it. And the setting, the premise, is great - a story about the nephew of an extremely famous folk singer, who carries the weight of their accomplishments on his back. You go through his journey as he struggles with the clash of his artistic vision against the history and expectation of his home and his family.

And then you run through these gorgeous vistas but you have to listen to the main character formlessly wailing away on a guitar for the whole thing, else you don't get to see the nice stuff.

In 2003 The Mars Volta released De-Loused in the Comatorium. It's an incredible prog/punk album, the tracks are snappy and dense and complex and it's a rollercoaster all the way through. In 2004 I went to see them live and halfway through their set there was a 10-minute prog jazz bongos improv section. It was (to me) completely unenjoyable. Playing The Artful Escape, for me, was like this experience only without the promise of getting to hear anything good at the end of it.

But at least there's a rhythm game in he- no wait it's just holding X and occasionally you play no-stakes Simon Says where every performance ends with the same three chords. The main character's dialogue is awful too, though I feel like it's a deliberate disappearance up their own arse, as much of the supporting cast are entertaining and well-written.

I must be missing something, or maybe it's that I took a dim view of the Most Famous Person In The Universe being someone who I personally wanted to just _stop_ for a minute.

--

Rhythm Doctor, on the other hand, is a ryhthm game through and through. I won't spoil it beyond the base premise - you are operating a remote defibrilator and you have to activate it by hitting the Space Bar on the 7th beat - but the game is absolutely stacked with ideas and variations that keep things fresh and interesting and tricky. You're treating one patient? How about hot-swapping to another and having to adjust to their rhythm on the fly. How about treating two patients at once? Four? What if they are a cockatiel

It's testament to the design of the game that once you have learned the patterns you can quite feasibly play the game with your eyes closed, and for the trickiest bit of the (current) last boss fight, I did exactly that; it was helpful to avoid some of the visual distractions that the game throws at you.

In addition this game has also given me one of the memorable videogame moments of all time. It's so inventive, the characters are (mostly) extremely likeable and it's just constantly doing new and fun things. Only in Early Access at the moment but worth every penny (I got it as a gift but pretty confident in that proclamation) and hopefully new stuff will be coming soon-ish.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/774181/Rhythm_Doctor/

Now to go back and do all the bonus stuff 👀

Happy New Year, 'mukkers!

Off we go then:

1. The Gunk - XSX Game Pass - 01/01/22

First up this year is this charming little platformer that arrived on Game Pass at the end of 2021.  I got a lot of enjoyment out of this - you play as Rani (not the Time Lord adversary of The Doctor played by Kate O'Mara) who along with her partner Becks travels around space in their charming little space ship looking for salvage on random planets and moons.  They come across a strange, desolate planet that is covered in reddish brown gunk, stifling the ecosystem underneath.

Your job?  Clean this shit up and restore life to the planet.  As you progress, the history of the planet opens up, and the reason why it's become so polluted.

Rani has a very useful prosthetic arm which acts as her weapons and tools.  It sucks up the gunk, shoots at various objects, scans things in a No Mans Sky type game mechanic etc.  These tools can be upgraded as you progress.

There is minimal combat in The Gunk - a few critters emerge from the gunk which can be hoovered up or zapped.  It's about as straightforward as combat can be but it's not really a game centred about fighting.

The Gunk does absolutely nothing new or original but what it offers is charming and even relaxing at times - clearing away tons of gunk is therapeutic and the way the old world re-emerges clean and fresh looks quite brilliant.  I must give a shout out to the lighting in this game - it's beautiful.  The skies, the colours, the shards of light breaking through the clouds, the torch effects in caves - cranked up to 4k on a big telly, it's a lovely looking game.

The relationship between Rani and Becks hovers between annoying and charming, and I think it depended on my festive hangover status as to which side of the coin it fell, but the backstory that opens up is another neat little feature which adds a bit extra to the game.

The Gunk can be finished in around 4 to 5 hours - add in a couple more to mop up all the achievements and it's an enjoyable experience all round.  I won't say the overused 'perfect for Game Pass' line but.... well, it's perfect for Game Pass.  There's nothing new, certainly nothing groundbreaking but what it does, it does well and it's a really good antidote for any Halo Infinite multiplayer frustrations or any other similarly rage-inducing gaming issue.

Worth a look, Game Pass-ers.

7.5/10

1. Doom Eternal

I just finished Doom Eternal on the switch yesterday - how on earth those guys kept the framerate solid during that final battle with the Icon of sin is beyond me, but it was amazing.

Loved the game - although about 2/3 of the way in, around the point where it introduces the bullet sponge summoner guys, it became Too Hard for me and I had to shove it down to easy, which was a bit of a shame.  But it didn't stop my enjoyment.  The final battle was relatively easy, but I think that was part of the point - endless sword energy and blood punches just made you feel like the doom slayer you were meant to be.  Absolute glorious carnage.

And the story... at first I was completely lost - then by the time I made it to Urduk it clicked.  I was basically heading up to kill 'God' who had gone rogue and did a deal with Hell.  I thought it was wonderful over the top nonsense.

I was really impressed with how they shook up the system with fire cannon, chainsaw and glory kill.  It kept the combat bowls fast and frantic and you never had to worry about completely running out of ammo... just find some fodder and unleash that arcadey coloured ammo goodness.  Great platforming that I enjoyed - reminded me of Metroid Prime in that it's one of the few FPS games that got platforming 'right'.  Generous big double jumps and boosts.

A solid 9/10 for me.  One of the best FPS' I've ever played and I'm looking forward to getting into the DLC.  I might get one of the DLC packs on the Xbox S to experience it differently in 60fps and HD on a 100" screen.

01. How We Know We're Alive (Mac)

@Quest's post  piqued my interest so I decided to try it out as I'm all about shorter games to pay in tandem with the epic adventures these days. It's a bit grim, but it was a decent enough little narrative.

Actually gonna try and stick with this for once. I'll only be posting games I've 100%'d achievement wise as that's kinda my thing. 

1. Train Station Renovation - 6/10

Wanted a more laid back game to play while listening to podcasts and chilling. It works for that purpose, it's strangely cathartic cleaning up and renovating a total dump station into something respectable. Plan to give House Flipper a go at some point off the back of this. 

Loses points for being relatively short and 100% wise can be verrrrry annoying trying to 100% a stage as you run around the fairly open maps looking for the last can or piece of trash you missed to finish off the level. Also the movement is really jarring and janky, it's not smooth at all. 

Total Time to 1000 - 23h 14m

02/01 - Death Come True (PS4) - Interactive movie written and directed by Kazutaka Kodaka, who is better known as the creator of the Danganronpa series. It's not very long, you will die a lot, and disappointingly there are only two endings. Enjoyable whilst it lasts. 

04/01 - Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory (PS4) - rhythm action with songs from the entire Kingdom Hearts series. It's pretty good, with a huge story mode and a lot of songs - around 150 which is very generous when it comes to rhythm action games. There are better rhythm action games out there (Hatsune Miku and the Persona Dancing games are much better); but anyone who's a fan of the genre or actually likes Disney or Kingdom Hearts will get a lot of mileage from this.