IGNORED

Poll | GOTY 2021 | Should games released earlier than 2021 be included in the GOTY vote?

Treble

Should games released earlier than 2021 be included in the GOTY vote?   

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/12/21 at 17:49

There is some right nitpicking fling on here. It is a bit of fun. Historians aren't going to look back on this thread in hundreds of years and be disgusted. 

Honestly if it got a new release of any kind it should count in my opinion 

9 hours ago, bradigor said:

There is some right nitpicking fling on here. It is a bit of fun. Historians aren't going to look back on this thread in hundreds of years and be disgusted. 

Honestly if it got a new release of any kind it should count in my opinion 

This, right here, by the people for the people. 

There are some properly truly hysterical responses here in this thread.

Oh no what if the as yet unannounced Half-Life VR game wins game of the year when it’s already been out on PC, cats and dogs living together :lol:

We need rules! Otherwise it’s just shit lists. But anyway, you’re all right and this is my revised list :)

1. Fortnite Battle Pass Season 28. Websters Dictionary defines ‘value’ as the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something. Well they should just put a picture of the 28th Fortnite Battle Pass! 

2. Destiny Celebration Ornaments Pack. Says what it does on the tin. You pay some real money for some fake cosmetics then pay some real hours of your life to actually unlock them. 

3. Sleeping Dogs (£2.99 edition). Understand that Sleeping Dogs was inaccessible to most gamers at its previous sale price of £3.59. Hopefully this finds a whole new audience for taking dates up to a pro-colonial pre-crackdown Victoria Peak. It’s GTA but supercharged, neon and foreign.

It doesn't really matter does it (I didn't vote)?

If I had to decide, I'd say as long as it's had a commercial release of some kind in 2021, it can count. But I'd also say it's not really in the spirit of the thing to vote for your old favourites that happened to be released on a new platform this year. So, in effect, what were the best games that were released in some for this year that you played for the first time this year? 

27 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

It doesn't really matter does it (I didn't vote)?

If I had to decide, I'd say as long as it's had a commercial release of some kind in 2021, it can count. But I'd also say it's not really in the spirit of the thing to vote for your old favourites that happened to be released on a new platform this year. So, in effect, what were the best games that were released in some for this year that you played for the first time this year? 

On the other hand I think it’s totally fair to vote for, say, Quake, even if you played it back in the day. 

I’m struggling to give much of a shit, this being fairly peak rllmuk deliberating. 

Why not allow games released this year, such as Hades, but not allowing those who have voted for the game in previous years to vote for it again. Yes, it will be a bit of an administrative hassle to check that but it’s not as if we lack the odd anally retentive soul in this place. 

13 hours ago, Wiper said:

I think we're seeing the slight downside of running a poll without giving its explicit context: people were complaining about games which had initially come out in a previous year but been released on new platforms this year — e.g. Hades — being allowed. That's what's being meant here by "games released earlier than 2021" means here.

Not, y'know, me choosing to vote for Little Big Adventure 2 for the 24th year in a row.

Which I would if I could, don't get me wrong.

Hold on, that wasn’t clear. I want my vote back :quote:

Of course, if a game has been released on a new platform in 2021 it should be eligible.

If it’s a single new platform it probably won’t register anyway. If it was on a single platform in a previous year and has now been released on several in 2021, it’ll finally get the votes it deserves.

Like I said in the other thread I think GOTY should be games released that year, otherwise it’s not really game of the year.  And that there should be a second category for games released in previous years, so Hades, Monster Train, whatever.

The difficulty is early access games.  Could let them be included on ea release & on final release.

Someone mentioned that it’s harder these days with how games are released and updated, and it definitely is.  For bafta we have an evolving game category where live games and remakes/remasters end up.

GOTY should be games that debut (on whichever platform they chose) in that year.

Any subsequent platform specific releases (even if they bring some new content) should not be considered. Early access games shouldn't be either. I think seasons could be considered but then that season should stand by itself and warranty GOTY on pure merit. 

Otherwise some titles might become GOTY 4-years in a row and it kind of devalues the whole thing.

I also think there should be a separate voted for "Favourite Games This Year" that should include everything released. Ever.  

3 minutes ago, The Bag said:

Like I said in the other thread I think GOTY should be games released that year, otherwise it’s not really game of the year.  And that there should be a second category for games released in previous years, so Hades, Monster Train, whatever.

The difficulty is early access games.  Could let them be included on ea release & on final release.

Someone mentioned that it’s harder these days with how games are released and updated, and it definitely is.  For bafta we have an evolving game category where live games and remakes/remasters end up.

No exceptions should be made. Early access are games still in development, so they should be included only in the year they release and remove EA badge. 

1 hour ago, The Bag said:

I suggested a separate category for best port, re-release or remaster. It would certainly make things a lot easier, IMO. 

28 minutes ago, Gambit said:

Glad to see the No's winning quite easily.

Otherwise I'd be putting Ocarina of Time (Switch Online) as number 1. Cause I'm a cunt. :lol:

Ocarina of Time didn’t really receive a commercial release this year though, it’s just enabled through emulation as part of a subscription. I’d be against that too, but Skyward Sword, in comparison, received a full price release with enhancements and should eligible in some way IMO.