Jump to content
IGNORED

Poll | GOTY 2021 | Should games released earlier than 2021 be included in the GOTY vote?


Treble
 Share

Should games released earlier than 2021 be included in the GOTY vote?   

133 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/12/21 at 17:49

Recommended Posts

Yes, so long as the people voting for them played them this year. One person voting for an old game isn’t going to swing the outcome either way, and lots of people voting for an old game means it must have been relevant in some way. 
 

For example, I don’t think people who played Hades on PC last year and think it’s better than anything released this year should be voting for it, but if you played it because it was released on Xbox this year, then they should absolutely vote for it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm voting yes because ultimately the list is just a reflection of what the forum enjoyed in any given year. If half the forum didn't get the chance to play a game last year because it wasn't available on their platform then I don't see why they should be forced to exclude it from their lists this year.

 

Games are not movies or music or books. There is a genuine reason many people can't enjoy them in the year of their release because of the platform they come out on which doesn't exist in other media.

 

If half the forum play a game in 2020 and the other half in 2021 because of its staggered release, and it ends up appearing in both year's GOTY lists as a result, then to me that's a fair reflection of the new releases forum members' enjoyed on the platforms they own.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

When a game is actually released is a less useful metric than it used to be. Games are stuck in early access for years - people are playing it for all this time but only version 1.0 counts? Loads of games evolve drastically - couldn't you vote for the new fantastic version of FF14 because only the original crappy version counts? Other games have seasons and events - if this year's big event in let's say Fortnite or GTA Online happens to be the most popular thing, you can't vote for it because only the release date of GTA5 on PS3 in 1962 counts? Games are released again on different services - suppose an older game is suddenly discovered and played by a huge new audience because it came to Game Pass this year or was given away free on Epic? You can't vote for it despite there's a clear reason for the surge in popularity this year? Suppose a game gets unexpected attention after a decade because a popular streamer did a special on it and suddenly everyone is playing Skate again - despite it  being one of the most remarkable happenings that year and the most beloved game played that year by many, it's not eligible? In what way are the GotY awards then an accurate representation of what actually shaped gaming that year? Same with all these mini consoles and retro rereleases through the eshop and whatnot - if that leads to Super Metroid being a very popular game that specific year then why the fuck not? Get with the times,  bunch of grandpa's

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, PaB said:

Course they shouldn’t . I mean what’s the point of GOTY if it can be from any year? You are voting for a game released from

jan 1st 2021 to dec 31st on the platform you played it on. Only rllmuk can make this a contentious issue. 


yeah but then we start talking about Gamepass debuts, PC ports, Directors Editions, Next gen updates and it’s all sorts of drama. Just go by the year the game came out based off its first published wiki entry. If a game is that good you should have been in on day one superfans…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we're seeing the slight downside of running a poll without giving its explicit context: people were complaining about games which had initially come out in a previous year but been released on new platforms this year — e.g. Hades — being allowed. That's what's being meant here by "games released earlier than 2021" means here.

 

Not, y'know, me choosing to vote for Little Big Adventure 2 for the 24th year in a row.

 

Which I would if I could, don't get me wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I think we're seeing the slight downside of running a poll without giving its explicit context: people were complaining about games which had initially come out in a previous year but been released on new platforms this year — e.g. Hades — being allowed. That's what's being meant here by "games released earlier than 2021" means here.

 

Not, y'know, me choosing to vote for Little Big Adventure 2 for the 24th year in a row.

 

Which I would if I could, don't get me wrong.

 

Yeah - this isn't especially clear in the poll title: it's a vote for whether we should include games that came out in 2020 on one platform which were then released this year on a new platform.

 

Still, it doesn't matter, really. I don't mind not voting for Hades, honest!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The title couldn't be clearer, really. If you're positing that the question is, "Was the title released this year on [new platform]?" then this has a clause attached to it. The ultimate answer to the question is binary: if it was released prior to 2021, with no conditions attached, then vote for your preference. 

 

However you phrase things people will complain about it based on their biases. It's pretty funny, really. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

If a game is that good you should have been in on day one superfans…

 

This is silly. If a game came out in 2021 and was PC exclusive I'm not going out and buying a PC just so I can play it.

 

If said game was then released on PS5, Xbox Series and Switch in 2022 then the number of people who could enjoy it on this forum would skyrocket given the distinct console bias here. But no-one would be allowed to vote for it simply because it got released on just one platform out of many the year before, even if it became a forum darling as a result of its increased reach.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The really funny thing is that nobody complained about games from previous years being allowed into the awards when, say, GTA V managed to be in both 2013 and 2014's lineups (and make the top 3 and top 20, respectively).

 

It's almost as though there's one rule for those nice blockbuster games (which are clearly deserving of praise, year on year), and an altogether different rule for games released by smaller studios (which should be satisfied with having any time in the limelight at all, frankly. Such charity, to be allowed even a moment of attention!).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, Majora said:

 

This is silly. If a game came out in 2021 and was PC exclusive I'm not going out and buying a PC just so I can play it.

 

If said game was then released on PS5, Xbox Series and Switch in 2022 then the number of people who could enjoy it on this forum would skyrocket given the distinct console bias here. But no-one would be allowed to vote for it simply because it got released on just one platform out of many the year before, even if it became a forum darling as a result of its increased reach.


yeah, but we are really talking about Hades here, which came out on the most popular selling console as well as on PC. If it wasn’t a GP game and it came out on PS4 only this year, there wouldn’t have been any new votes. It’s as if, same with MS Flight Sim, nothing exists until Gamepass says it does. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, any game that received a commercial release during 2021 should be eligible. If people want to vote for Hades on PlayStation and Xbox, let them, if they want to vote for Alan Wake Remastered or Skyward Sword HD, Skyrim Anniversary Edition, Quake, RE4 VR etc, let them. I really don’t see the problem. 
 

I mean we’re not IGN, are we? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mikeyl said:


yeah, but we are really talking about Hades here, which came out on the most popular selling console as well as on PC. If it wasn’t a GP game and it came out on PS4 only this year, there wouldn’t have been any new votes. It’s as if, same with MS Flight Sim, nothing exists until Gamepass says it does. 

 

I'm not being funny, but this is just embarrassing to read. "nothing exists until Gamepass says it does". It doesn't even reflect what we're seeing with the example you're giving! Did you see how well Hades placed last year? Do you see how much less well it's clearly doing this year?

 

Have a word with yourself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I voted "show results" because I don't care. :P It doesn't take much to copy and paste the final results and then delete re-releases yourself to see how the results might change.

 

Although I'm slightly bitter about the fact that we're discussing this after Persona 4 Golden got released on Steam last year and I chose not to nominate it during the 2020 voting... ;) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wiper said:

 

I'm not being funny, but this is just embarrassing to read. "nothing exists until Gamepass says it does". It doesn't even reflect what we're seeing with the example you're giving! Did you see how well Hades placed last year? Do you see how much less well it's clearly doing this year?

 

Have a word with yourself.


Well then for what group of players is the relatively simple thing of celebrating the new games that came out this year specifically accommodating?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's suggesting the only people the rule benefits is Gamepass users. As opposed to, you know, people who don't own a Switch or [play games on] PC.

 

Presumably the blame for GTA V placing in both 2013 and 2014, or Hollow Knight only placing in 2018, was Gamepass too. Disgusting, allowing people who didn't have the machines they were released on in the previous year to have a vote.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It was daft for those two games too. It came out when it came out. If that VR Half Life game came out on PSVR+ in 2022 it’ll be daft for that to win GOTY too. It’s just cool to have a completely new list, so you ain’t repeating what the other lot said the year before. And who the fuck here wants to fondly remember 2020 anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.