IGNORED

2021 in review - A great year for gaming?

HarryBizzle

I don't think so.

These are the games I finished in 2021:

1. Immortals: Fenyx Rising

2. Control [Game Pass]

3. The Medium [Game Pass]

4. Astro's Playroom

5. Demon's Souls Remake

6. Ghost of Tsushima

7. Death's Door

8. Hades [Game Pass]

9. Psychonauts 2

10. Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart

11. God of War (2018)

12. The Artful Escape

13. Halo Infinite [Game Pass]

14. The Gunk

Bolded games were released in 2021.

I also played Metroid Dread, which I didn't like, and Forza Horizon 5, which I very much do like. Oh, and Returnal, which I sort of wanted to like more than I actually did.

I feel like the only "big" release of the year that I didn't play was Deathloop.

I can already sense the distant tapping of Returnal and Metroid fans telling me how brilliant they are, but this thread isn't really about that. Do you think 2021 was a good year for gaming? Or even a decent one? I look at it as a whole and it feels very much like another pandemic year, with loads delayed and missing. This hasn't been too bad - I've been able to play lots of games I've been meaning to and even replay one, which is something I almost never do. But I'm ready for 2022 to come along and overwhelm me with the likes of Dying Light 2, Horizon Forbidden Wotsit and Elden Ring all coming along within 3 weeks of one another.

There are other threads for talking about your highlights of the year in depth, but how do you feel about gaming in 2021 as a whole?

I think it was pretty poor, this was supposed to be a big year after everything got delayed out of 2020, and er... it was just a bit shit, lots of games released unfinished, full of bugs, etc. Nothing next-gen seems to have been released despite these consoles being out for a year now.

Everything seems stuck in this holding pattern, in the industry and y'know, generally. Also people tried to shoehorn NFTs into everything, so that can get in the bin.

EDIT: I forgot Hitman 3 was this year, that's probably my highlight honestly.

I thought it was a great year for gaming, but as ever I guess it depends where your interests lie. Which isn't me making a hipster/"I don't like mainstream games" point — the vast majority of my favourite games are, in fact, mainstream, even when they're indie titles — but I think specifically reflects a lack of interest in the maximum-budget titles. As far as I can tell, that's where the biggest omissions and disappointments of the year have been - lack of Sony headliners, mixed response to Halo Infinite,* Mass Effect 3 being as bad as we remembered etc.

For me, though, this year saw an expansive, brilliant new Shin Megami Tensei game; a more than worthy sequel to my beloved Psychonauts; an unexpectedly excellent new Life is Strange; the wonderful, affecting No Longer Home; the delightful Unpacking; the best Hitman game yet made; the incredible Inscryption; the bolt-from-the-blue Unsighted; and many others. I've had a great year, gaming-wise. 

* in fairness, its campaign did disappoint me, but much less than it would if 4 and 5 hadn't prepared me for it

Looking at a release calendar, I can agree with the start of 2021 being quite crap. The first new game I recall picking up was Loop Hero, and that was released in March. After that, we all played Outriders because it was free, and that was promptly binned. And surprisingly, the game happened to PSO2:NG after the first week or so of non-stop play.

From that point, though, I think it's been a fairly good year - at least, in terms of games that already existed. I finally got to play Nier Replicant in a new form, Destiny 2/Path of Exile/Genshin Impact got some very nice content updates that got me playing them again, Streets of Rage 4 had a fantastic expansion, and the Quake 1 update and immediate port release for everything was a fantastic surprise. and also my secret favourite game of 2021, Arknights, but that's a gacha game so don't talk about that shit

The Steam Indie Demo weeks were an excellent way to get excited about new games that are now either out or imminently due, like Unpacking before everyone loved it coming to Game Pass, and games such as Death Trash and Unbeatable.

To be honest, Indie games and Early Access did hard carry 2021. Phantom Abyss is a fantastic mix of rogue-like and Mirror's Edge style platforming, Deltarune Chapter 2 was another great weekend adventure that will get riffed on for the next couple of years, and Inscryption beat out a new Shin Megami Tensei game to being my favourite game of the year.

In all, when writing up my 2021 GOTY list, I didn't find it hard at all to reel off the games I enjoyed and didn't enjoy, so I wouldn't say it was bad.

This year was a bit of a stopgap for me - there wasn't anything massive coming out that excited me as much as Persona 5 Royal, FFVII Remake, or Yakuza: Like A Dragon last year. I mean, my GotY list at present has two indies, one (released) Kickstarter game, a "deluxe edition" of an older game (Tetris Effect: Connected) and one "big" release in Neo: TWEWY, so I didn't really pursue any of the headline releases. At the same time, I was trying to avoid buying everything because I knew I'd be spending on a new-gen console soon - I eventually got a PS5 in November but I haven't bought any new games for it yet :facepalm: - it's more so that I can have something to play 2022 releases on without being trapped in the stock-tracking dance.

I feel like I spent a lot of time talking about games, reading about them, listening to podcasts about them, watching streams of them... but not much time playing them. And when I did, it sometimes felt like an obligation - a new time-limited Destiny 2 event, or a limited beta of a forthcoming game. Simple, immediate experiences were something I relied on during a lot of the downtime - Rhythm Doctor, Friday Night Funkin, or even the arcade racers and fighters on my PC emulators or my RS97. Sometimes I did this just to keep my "schedule" tidy (I didn't mind getting stuck in to something as huge as Neo: TWEWY, but I knew I couldn't start any other new games because that game would devour my time for the foreseeable future) but often I just had to be in the right mood.

Even so, I think it's been a good year in general - I can appreciate the quality of games like Metroid Dread, Returnal, SMT V, Halo Infinite, Forza Horizon 5 etc even if I'm not able to get around to them myself. I'm in no place to decide if '21 compares to the wonder years of 2017 and the like, but it's been pretty decent considering the circumstances and working conditions in the pandemic life.

Suppose it depends on expectations. Hardware wise I only got to experience the PS5 this year so got to play Astrobot and really enjoyed it.

Ratchet and clank was well quite average IMHO in terms of gameplay once you got over the superb graphics and sound.

Returnal was/is an interesting one. Still can't actually figure out whether I'm enjoying it or not. Keep trying to tell myself dying is part of the experience. However just find the rogue like approach tricky to work with at times as never really played these types of games and generally like stories with a linear approach through the game. It feels like a game like this at times but also a pure arcade shooter. It's an odd one. Love the environments though and the game has awesome audio and visuals. Runs buttery smooth too. Also uses the PS5 controller really well. Generally feels like a next gen game as it feels fresh and different. Which is why I am probably struggling a bit with it at times. Difficult to let your past experiences go and play it for what it is rather than what you expect it to be!

Really enjoyed things like The Medium and Call Of The Sea. Nether particularly pushing any boundaries but shiner versions of games in a genre I enjoy. Other things like Genesis Noir, The Artful Escape were great experiences I'd struggle to call them games TBH. Similarly The Magnificent Trufflepigs was another I enjoyed.

At the back end of the year of course we got Halo and Forza Horizon 5. Both were good solid games but for me after a playing hours with each realised that I'd just got fatigued with both types of game. So didn't go back to them. 

I think in general it was a great year for games however it's me who has changed in what I enjoy playing. Good thing there is so much choice out there there is always something enjoyable to play and with GamePass such a accessable price point.

Bowsers Fury was an early highlight which I’d love to see fleshed out and made into something similar over a full game, like a cross between that and Mario Odyssey. 

I think having Gamepass largely negated any release droughts this year, I’ve played absolutely tonnes of stuff on that. 

I would have liked some more from Nintendo, but Metroid Prime knocked it out the park imo, absolutely loved that. 

I only got my PS5 early December, I have three games, Demon’s Souls, Miles Morales and Returnal, I think those are all great and I enjoyed Astro too, and that Radiohead thing was cool. 

So overall for me it’s been a stellar year for games in which I was rarely if ever struggling to find something to play, I must have played hundreds of games this year.

2022 looks insane in terms of new releases, no doubt it will suffer delays though just like this year. 

Brilliant year for shoot 'em up fans, I got these that released physically on PS4 and/or Switch:

Cotton Reboot

Cotton Rock 'n' Roll

Rolling Gunner + Over Power

Raiden IV x Mikado

R-Type Final 2

Tiger Heli

G-Darius HD

Deathsmiles I and II (although they botched all the different modes in II badly)

Saturn Tribute (again by City Connection and flawed)

Illvelo + Radirgy Swag

Dangun Feveron

Aborenbu Tengu

24 minutes ago, Vemsie said:

There are no poor years in gaming anymore, unless your taste is extremely limited or, well, bad.

This year had many superb games from AAA titles like Hitman 3, Forza Horizon 5, Monster Hunter Rise, Psychonauts 2 and Metroid Dread to small gems like Death's Door, Unsighted and Exo One to games in between like It Takes Two.

And it gave me one of my favourite games of al-time in Returnal, so yeah, great year.

Yes! 👏 

Despite there not being any true 10/10 bangers, I still had a great time playing games this year. I spent the first quarter catching up on the 2020 games I missed, but from about April onwards, starting with Monster Hunter Rise, I mostly played 2021 games for the remainder of the year: Death's Door, Resi Village, Ratchet and Clank, Returnal, Metroid Dread, Unpacking, Little Nightmares 2, Horizon 5 and Mario 3D World - all of those definitely kept me busy and I wouldn't rate any of them lower than 8/10. And there's lots of games released this year I still want to play, too: Inscryption, Kena: Bridge of Spirits, Eastward, the FF7:R DLC, Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, and more.

As has been mentioned already, with the sheer amount of games coming out at any one time, if you're not finding something that captures your attention then you're probably doing it wrong, and even if you're not, there's always the interminable backlog to get through.

21 minutes ago, Stanley said:

2022 looks insane in terms of new releases, no doubt it will suffer delays though just like this year. 

Yeah, there will be delays no doubt but the first two months alone look pretty nuts with titles like Sifu, Horizon Forbidden West and Elden Ring. I'm almost hoping for some delays. ;)

3 minutes ago, Timmo said:

Yep, usually when people post stuff like this it's because they need a break from gaming.

I don't agree. For one thing I think you [and other people in here] are assuming that people who said the year was poor were doing so because they didn't "find something they liked", rather than say, they did find something they liked, but it was mostly a fucking mess this year?

It's all very well saying "well there's other stuff", OK great, am I not supposed to mention a huge amount of releases were buggy and unfinished? Did I miss a memo where we were only supposed to pillory Cyberpunk for that and then excuse it for everything else, forever?

I'm not sure what people were expecting from a year immediately after the release of the new console generation, midway through a pandemic, when there was a shortage of microchips to allow people to actually buy the new consoles to play their games on.

What games that were originally confirmed by the devs for this year have been pushed back to 2022? I can think of lots that were supposed to be released earlier in the year that came later, but only a couple that didn't make it into 2021 at all. Cyberpunk's PS5/Xbox Series release and Horizon: Forbidden West are the only two I can think of. BotW 2 was never confirmed for this year, nor God of War 2. Elden Ring was originally scheduled for January 2022 but has been pushed back by a month. I genuinely can't think of any others, except for the likes of Bayo 3 and Metroid Prime 4, which are set to release one hell freezes over anyway.

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

this was supposed to be a big year after everything got delayed out of 2020

Was it?

I thought the general consensus was that this was really the year we’d feel the impact of the pandemic as last year had stuff like TLOU2, Animal Crossing and FF7R released that were most of the way through development before everything locked down.

2021 not as good as 2020 but still pretty cool. Then again, trying to top the double header of TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima was always going to be bloody difficult!

New Ratchet & Clank, new Metroid, new Halo, new Forza Horizon 5, Kena, Unpacking (💓), Bowser's Fury, Lost Judgment, DLC for Ghost of Tsushima.

I'm happy with how things turned out.

12 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

What games that were originally confirmed by the devs for this year have been pushed back to 2022? I can think of lots that were supposed to be released earlier in the year that came later, but only a couple that didn't make it into 2021 at all. Cyberpunk's PS5/Xbox Series release and Horizon: Forbidden West are the only two I can think of. BotW 2 was never confirmed for this year, nor God of War 2.

That one was, actually:

35 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I'm not sure what people were expecting from a year immediately after the release of the new console generation, midway through a pandemic, when there was a shortage of microchips to allow people to actually buy the new consoles to play their games on.

What games that were originally confirmed by the devs for this year have been pushed back to 2022? I can think of lots that were supposed to be released earlier in the year that came later, but only a couple that didn't make it into 2021 at all. Cyberpunk's PS5/Xbox Series release and Horizon: Forbidden West are the only two I can think of. BotW 2 was never confirmed for this year, nor God of War 2. Elden Ring was originally scheduled for January 2022 but has been pushed back by a month. I genuinely can't think of any others, except for the likes of Bayo 3 and Metroid Prime 4, which are set to release one hell freezes over anyway.

The GoW Ragnarok reveal trailer ends with "2021."

Dying Light 2, Gran Turismo 7, Gotham Knights, Vampire: Masquerade 2.

It’s been a really poor year for my money, certainly one of the worst I can remember. The only really great game this year was Returnal. Beyond that there were a few 8/10s and a lot of games I personally found disappointing. My scarce resource these days is no longer money but time. And that means I actively try to avoid wasting my time on games that I don’t rate really highly. A lot of Gamepass fell into that category this year and underlines why, while others think it’s the ultimate in gaming value, it just won’t work for me until the first-party studios start to really pay off.

Man, I think people have really narrow definitions of what a 'bad year' actually is. For me, it's been one of the very best years of gaming I've had in an age. So much out there if you wander off the usual commercial and tight road of the AA/AAA genres and branch out a little. That and whilst I know there's an awful lot of folk who don't replay their games (and I'm never entirely certain I can trust people who don't do this ;) ), there so much pleasure in revisiting old faves it's almost rude not to!

I think it also helps if you have access to multiple systems. If you don't have a Switch you probably missed out on Dread, Bowser's Fury and MH Rise, without a PS5 you mised out on Returnal and without a Xbox/PC you missed out on FH5. Even many indies now have timed exclusivity.

But even if you only own one of those machines, there's still a lot of good stuff to play. If you look at Mark Brown's top ten for example, it shows a nice variety of games, most of which are available on multiple systems.