IGNORED

Your most disappointing game of 2021

Doctor Shark

The Ascent. 

Looks and sounds incredible - particularly on Series X with a big telly, but fundamental design flaws mean that it's nowhere near as good as it should be.

Baffling mission layouts such as 'go to this floor, kill someone, spend literally half an hour travelling to a lower floor to pick up a single item, then back you go to the previous floor' - with such an atrocious map, theres no easy or quick way to do this. 

Side missions are locked out on the map even when you first activate them at the very start of the game.

There are some horrendous difficulty spikes.

It's not a terrible game, I stuck it out and completed it but this should have been a GOTY contender because theres so much that manages to impress.

Huge shame. 

Last year the most profound gaming-related disappointment I felt was with Nintendo as a whole.

Between their overpriced hardware, overvalued legacy software, ultra-shambolic, N64-murdering online service and almost everything else they've done over the last 18 months I can't help but associate the Nintendo brand with the most negative of connotations these days.

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

The Ascent. 

Looks and sounds incredible - particularly on Series X with a big telly, but fundamental design flaws mean that it's nowhere near as good as it should be.

Baffling mission layouts such as 'go to this floor, kill someone, spend literally half an hour travelling to a lower floor to pick up a single item, then back you go to the previous floor' - with such an atrocious map, theres no easy or quick way to do this. 

Side missions are locked out on the map even when you first activate them at the very start of the game.

There are some horrendous difficulty spikes.

It's not a terrible game, I stuck it out and completed it but this should have been a GOTY contender because theres so much that manages to impress.

Huge shame. 

I hope it gets a sequel.  The groundwork with the stunningly realised world and lovely graphics is already there.  

They just need to make a fun game experience out of it now, and I would be more than willing to give it a second chance.

2 hours ago, Oz said:

I think we should give cyberpunk this for the second year running

Fuck no, Cyberpunk actually looks better in hindsight by just how bad games this year have been for being buggy and unfinished (BF2042 and Halo Infinite to name a pair, and neither have had anywhere near as much negative critical response). Halo Infinite for instance was developed by a team literally 3.5 times as large as CDProjektRed with a blank cheque from one of the largest and richest companies in the world and the final product is just one of the most barebones, least ambitious things around, something that would have been memed into the ground if it was in a different franchise. Cyberpunk at least has all it's features, a varied world, setpieces, great production value, great story, good side content, etc, unlike Halo.

Even in the thread for this years games, people were just arguing against holding their bugginess and unfinished state against them, in a way they absolutely did not do for Cyberpunk. If anything the conclusion should be that Cyberpunk had a real over the top circlejerk crapping on a good but rough game, and there's a massive double-standard around any franchises that people have nostalgia for.

2 hours ago, Oz said:

I think we should give cyberpunk this for the second year running

The game of the year thread is over there --->

37 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

Cyberpunk is so much better than say Halo Infinite, even at launch that its almost laughable.

Yep, the internet "decided", it doesn't have to relate to reality.

The next one they'll do it to is Saints Row.

On 30/12/2021 at 21:05, Hideous Kojima said:

Not released in 2021 but I just bought crash team racing nitro fuelled and fuck me what awful rubber banding. Totally ruins the game. I mean completely and utterly.

I'd "request a refund" from Sony but because their offices aren't open they aren't accepting emails. The fuck

Dude same. I bought it hoping for some sweet two-player action of a SFW kind for me and my partner but after playing it for an hour I just deleted it. Terrible. So disappointed. I just bought a switch with Mario kart instead. 

@BadgerFarmer

Did you finish Eastward? It's on my list of games to get, but I keep hearing about how it goes on for far too long. It's so gorgeous looking, though, I might just get it anyway.

I've heard contrary things about Bravely Default 2, as well. I played the first game on the 3DS for about thirty hours or so before I eventually got bored, but the battle system was great.

Part of me just wants a really good JRPG to play, even though, more often than not, I find them disappointing and don't finish them.

2 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Cyberpunk is so much better than say Halo Infinite, even at launch that its almost laughable.

I agree with this statement. the issue is disappointment. if anything halo exceeded everyone's expectations. edit: by booting :D

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

@BadgerFarmer

Did you finish Eastward? It's on my list of games to get, but I keep hearing about how it goes on for far too long. It's so gorgeous looking, though, I might just get it anyway.

I've heard contrary things about Bravely Default 2, as well. I played the first game on the 3DS for about thirty hours or so before I eventually got bored, but the battle system was great.

Part of me just wants a really good JRPG to play, even though, more often than not, I find them disappointing and don't finish them.

Yeah, I finished Eastward. I think it's about 25 hours, but would have been great at 15. Its chat-action ratio is way off kilter.

BD2 was pretty boring, and I have quite a high tolerance for JRPG stuff. I was recently enjoying Octopath, for example. 

Another one from me that isn't exactly fair (as it's in early access at the moment), but I cannot I wasn't disappointed by Darkest Dungeon 2. I love the original - many hundred of hours-worth of love, but the sequel has left me cold so far. I think the move to 3d doesn't do it any favours. Well, on the character models and monsters it looks pretty great, but moving the caravan through the world looks really ropey, and I think in general the game has lost a lot of atmosphere in the transition. 

It's going to go through plenty of updates and I daresay the full release will be quite different in many ways, but at the moment it's just not doing anything for me. 

Which is a bit of a shame. 

Far Cry 6. I’ve had a lot of fun with these games over the years. Clearing bases in interesting ways, using the wildlife to my advantage to take down baddies. It’s not cutting edge but it was fun. This turd of a game breaks all of that. And the guns… they are just not satisfying at all. Enemies with health bars that are not bosses can gtfo too. Shoot guy in head and he’s still chatting to his mate lol. It felt totally broken and unfinished. Graphically it’s gone backwards and the enemy AI is laughably bad. Worst big budget game I’ve bought in years and years. 

Scott Pilgrim Vs the World:Complete edition: I bought this to play co-op over PSN but the net code is a buggy mess that simply doesn't work. We've tried a few times at different times and swopping hosts but it keeps repeatedly crashing. Looking online this was a common issue and it was also the same for the original release, so to have not addressed it an upgraded version is frankly a piss-take. Especially if you are going to call it the 'complete' version

It feels like an odd choice even as I type it out, but for me it's Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury. I hadn't played 3D World since it was new on Wii U, and I think I'd built it up into something it wasn't in the years since. It's still a good game, but I think playing it so close to the All Star Collection from last year has highlighted that it actually isn't anything special, especially when compared to other Mario games. That didn't stop me from finishing it though, with the exception of the last level which you need to beat with all 5 characters for 100% completion. I did it with one of them, but I couldn't be bothered to do it with the rest given how hard it was, I was already eager to move on.

I didn't get around to Bowser's Fury until just before Christmas - I was all Mario'd out earlier in the year, so put it aside - but it felt like more of a concept than an actual game. It just felt empty and bland, and lacked the inspiration I'd normally expect from a Mario game. The physics and camera from 3D World aren't at all suited to an open world game either, the static camera was a particular pain for me as it meant I was as focused on controlling that manually as I was on the actual platforming. The idea of an open world Mario isn't a bad one - in fact, you could argue that it's already been done in Odyssey to great effect - but this feels unfinished, and I'm surprised Nintendo was happy to push it out without a bit more padding on it.