IGNORED

Your most disappointing game of 2021

Doctor Shark

21 hours ago, Majora said:

12 Minutes. Looked forward to it for literally years and ended up bailing on it after about 45 minutes. Simply no fun to play whatsoever.

20 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

This. Not only wasn't it fun but it also felt gross and exploitative to the point of being offensive. I regretted the hour I spent with it.

I think this is it and thanks to people I trust telling me both these things I never even played it.

17 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

Came here to say this. my brother in law and I planned out a whole evening for last night,

Not particularly good planning. It’s not like it’s been reported a billion times or mentioned as many times in the relevant thread.

Do you work for 343?

Games I played that I was disappointed with?

Ratchet and Clank: Although disappointed is the wrong word - I knew it was going to be a mediocre platformer with limited imagination (it’s a ratchet and clank game), but I did hope for more interesting use of the SSD, and instead got limited portals.

Forza Horizon 5: it’s a good to great game, I’ve put a fair number of hours in across Xbox and PC, I’m looking forward to the DLC… and it may well be in my top five, but the unexpected online/server issues were and remain disappointing.

Returnal - due to no save function (I know its patched in now but I've sold it on already - should have been there from the start)

Many will disagree and point at the initial workarounds but its not the answer sorry. Developers saying to put a game into standby mode to pause your progress is ridiculous

4 minutes ago, englishbob said:

Returnal - due to no save function (I know its patched in now but I've sold it on already - should have been there from the start)

Many will disagree and point at the initial workarounds but its not the answer sorry. Developers saying to put a game into standby mode to pause your progress is ridiculous

And remember to disable automatic updates!

I’m struggling to think of anything that disappointed me, the big games I’ve been looking forward to have either been great (Forza Horizon 5) or good (Halo), and there have been some wonderful surprises (Deaths Door, The Gunk, Psychonauts 2, Guardians OTG). There have definitely been plenty of games I’ve not enjoyed but with Game Pass, Epic/Steam sales, etc it’s so easy to move on without much fanfare. 

Maybe Far Cry 6, although that wasn’t so much disappointing as entirely expected. 

Bf2042

Been playing this series since 1942 on pc. And each launch tops the last with the utter shit show at release. 
The bugs were utterly unforgivable. Scenery not loading, broken textures and the icing on the cake was guns not firing were you were aiming. 
I was concerned on the beta that the new maps were soulless just icons that you arrived at with no thought of what existed In between. I found the full game to be exactly that. All of the staple stuff was missing and as for leaderboards not being included it’s a joke. 
Portal is the saving grace but exposes what greatness came before and shames the current iteration for the wanting sham it is. 
played 3 times and uninstalled. 

Really didn't play too many games this year but Maquette is likely the most disappointing since the concept looked incredible and I'd hoped it would have the same mind-blowing, connected puzzles of Gorogoa but it ended up being kinda straightforward and clumsy.

The dialogue didn't help either, in script or delivery.

The Matrix Awakens demo was disappointing too I guess, in that it was cool to see the kind of visual and procedural tricks the new Unreal engine can pull off but it'd be a shame if the kind of performance hit that brought is a sign of what's to come this gen. It's just a tech demo obviously so I'm probably worrying about nothing.

15 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

Forza Horizon 5

I love this series. I've played the previous four to death. Have barely touched this. I couldn't even tell you why, really. After a couple of hours, I'm just not finding any interest in it. It's undoubtedly a great game, I'm just finding it a bit meh. 

I think the why is within the second sentence. I got bored of FH5 within the very first opening races. As soon as I finally got into the open world and past the unbelievably irritating characters and influencer style shite, I drove around a bit and just realised i couldn't be arsed doing any races. Apart from the new environments it was such a carbon copy of everything in FH4 but ever so slightly worse in interface, polish etc and just a retread of everything you've already done in the previous game. I mean it's clearly not a bad game, but it might as well be DLC.

Back 4 Blood was the other one. Left 4 Dead but with the soul ripped out, and difficulty that felt entirely unplaytested and frustrating.

I guess the 2 that really disappointed me were. 

Halo Infinite purely because I'm not finding any desire to push through the campaign. I'm up to the AA Guns but I suspect there's another boss round the corner and I'm not enjoying the bosses at all. The open world bits are fun if a bit samey. It's so close to being amazing which is probably the biggest disappointment. 

Super Monkey Ball Collection. It just doesn't feel quite right, and monkey target is an abomination compared to the glorious original. 

Nier Replicant ver.[insert numbers]

I love Automata, but this felt like the third cup of tea made with the same PG Tips bag. When the game started making tongue-in-cheek "fun" of its own walkathon fetch quests, I was so, sooo done. It's nice to be in that atmosphere again, but dear lord, the game can barely be called mediocre. The connecting story beats aren't even interesting.

Another vote for BF2042 here.  

I am done with wasting my time on games that release in such a clearly unfinished state.  Yes they may well patch it and it could become the greatest shooter of all time (doubtful), but I will never know as they had their chance with me and blew it.

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

I love Automata, but this felt like the third cup of tea made with the same PG Tips bag. When the game started making tongue-in-cheek "fun" of its own walkathon fetch quests, I was so, sooo done. It's nice to be in that atmosphere again, but dear lord, the game can barely be called mediocre. The connecting story beats aren't even interesting.

I'm quite curious about more people's experience of Replicant 1.22 if they started at Automata. Platinum's game felt really weird for a bunch of people, but the foundations for a lot of the ideas came from Nier 2010, so I would hope that Replicant 1.22 provided some enlightenment - as well as showing Automata in a more flattering light. :) 

(although I unfortunately missed out on Replicant 1.22 because it coincided with other releases...)

On 31/12/2021 at 21:40, Cyhwuhx said:

It's a tough sell because even in the original the walkathon was a central part of the game, it's a thematic thing that will either make sense or annoy you to bits.

On 30/12/2021 at 12:04, Quest said:

The Artful Escape - I hated almost everything about it. The music, the main character, the tame Lisa Frank psychedelia, the lol-random 'I'm the glitter wizard of the cosmic crab empire' bullshit. I also found it hard not to read the entire game as the tale of a mopey rich boy of meagre talent imagining the entire universe revolves around him, but that's probably me being a bit uncharitable.

I think the only reason I was looking forward to it was the Annapurna label, but that's taken a pretty heavy knock this year. I barely lasted half an hour with 12 Minutes.

It's really weird because I loved The Artful Escape for a couple of weeks until Psychonauts 2 and Get in the Car Loser came along, the former just doing psychedelia better and the later being much less shy about the gender queer themes it espoused. Both latter games completely removed the initial impact that The Artful Escape had for me. Unfortunate timing.

Your reading of it is entirely fair and it reminded me of why I bounced off Marquette this year. I found the main leads in that game unbearably smug in a way that repulsed me.

On 31/12/2021 at 10:51, Waggo said:

Another vote for BF2042 here.  

I am done with wasting my time on games that release in such a clearly unfinished state.  Yes they may well patch it and it could become the greatest shooter of all time (doubtful), but I will never know as they had their chance with me and blew it.

Wish more people took this stance tbh. It's becoming more and more okay to release bare bones, buggy tripe to fix it 6-12-18 months later.

On 30/12/2021 at 06:12, footle said:

Not particularly good planning. It’s not like it’s been reported a billion times or mentioned as many times in the relevant thread.

Do you work for 343?

I didn’t even know it was coming out until he told me he got it for Christmas. He has 2 kids under the age of 4 and no time to follow gaming news. All the other ones had it, I think it was a fair assumption that this one wouldn’t be different. At least they’re allegedly patching it in at some point. 

On 31/12/2021 at 02:05, Hideous Kojima said:

Not released in 2021 but I just bought crash team racing nitro fuelled and fuck me what awful rubber banding. Totally ruins the game. I mean completely and utterly.

I'd "request a refund" from Sony but because their offices aren't open they aren't accepting emails. The fuck

Did you play it in the 90s? Just wondering because I really liked it (the newish one you’ve bought) but I played and loved the original a lot so might of been overlooking stuff…

15 hours ago, Floshenbarnical said:

I didn’t even know it was coming out until he told me he got it for Christmas. He has 2 kids under the age of 4 and no time to follow gaming news. All the other ones had it, I think it was a fair assumption that this one wouldn’t be different. At least they’re allegedly patching it in at some point. 

I've been following the whole thing and I had no idea they were releasing it in random disparate bits until they did just the multiplayer and I still didn't know that, weirdly, they then released the campaign WITHOUT the multiplayer.

Halo Infinite for me (campaign). After the gloss of the first few hours had worn off, there wasn't enough there to pull me back.

There's one huge caveat with that though - I think it'll be outstanding in co-op, so I'm actually quite happy to not play much more of it for now and experience it fresh with a squad of chums.

I don't think I was massively disappointed by many games, because I didn't necessarily expect them to be good in the first place. But all of these were at least a little below par:

Oddworld: Soulstorm
Biomutant
Far Cry 6
Bravely Default 2
No More Heroes 3

Halo: Infinite SP - yeah, I had a good couple of hours with it once I reached the outdoors (the grappling hook is a great addition), but I could already tell it wasn't going to offer much variety, and I haven't been back since. While I always expected it, I still can't believe the main enemy types are still basically the same as the ones from the original, and still quite a small selection. It's baffling - like if Resident Evil was still doing bog standard zombies and dogs every time. 

As for actual disappointments, I am a little gutted about Eastward and Cris Tales. Two modern takes on the old JRPG format that let themselves down after doing good early work. Eastward is still pretty decent, it just too weighed down with dialogue scenes and skits. Cris Tales fails to develop its potentially interesting time warp mechanics and combat system into anything remotely varied or challenging.

On 29/12/2021 at 15:16, jonamok said:

Hades

Speaking of annoying repetition. Just hated this, irritating writing, just not fun for me, though (bar my GOTY Returnal) I tend to dislike roguelikes/lites. Still, I gave it a chance but made minimal progression. Not for me.

Yep, Returnal was much better. I think the thing I like least about Hades is how it feels like a flash game.

(I finished a run on it but had no desire to carry on).