IGNORED

Wordle - free daily word game (see link in first post)

Jamie John

It is getting increasingly difficult to avoid clues now, from popping in this thread late at night and getting caught by people further east in the world, to checking a bit of twitter in the morning and getting all the outrage as a hint.

Outside the US non-native speakers had a huge advantage with this one. We grow up consuming American simplified spelling through popular media, but in school we're taught actual proper English. At Uni it's even stricter, we're not allowed to use American English when writing papers etcetera. So we're used to applying either spelling depending on the situation - it didn't even occur to me to assume Wordle would use one spelling in particular, I automatically try either one.

At no point is the author going to have gone and created the word lists himself, or even bothered to run through and verify each possible word by hand.

Had the game been made in the UK by an ardent Englishman, drinking tea with their pinky out while flicking Vs across the channel, the same thing is likely to have happened.

11 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

Didn't the creator make it for their partner?

Reveal hidden contents

They might be American.

Would you let the one you love spell words without a U? You monster.

2 hours ago, Junker said:

I’m calling shenanigans on most people who reckon they got this. 
 R.I.P. Wordle, you were fun while it lasted.

I actually think today's proved to me what a brilliant game it is. It took me all six goes but by eliminating letters on the way, by the sixth guess the right answer was the only word I could think of that fitted with the letters I had left. So yes it was difficult especially as a non-US English speaker, but definitely solvable.

Is the point of the game to guess the right answer in fewest guesses, or just to get it within 6?

Because I have noticed playing the other eternal ones that you maximise your chances by going in with two words that have no overlap of letters (for me- RENTS, then GHOUL), although that does depend on what sort of success you have with the first go.

3 hours ago, Junker said:

I’m calling shenanigans on most people who reckon they got this. 
 R.I.P. Wordle, you were fun while it lasted.

Anyway we can do our own version. Try and guess this one.

Reveal hidden contents

Shite

I do the

Spoiler

New York Times crossword every day and it's trained me to look for American Spellings

in word games.

*Spoiler Contains My Solution*

Spoiler

Screenshot_2022-01-12-14-45-17-86_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.thumb.jpg.a38e397745cfcd4d7926212ea53ba2c9.jpg

20 minutes ago, drmick said:

Is the point of the game to guess the right answer in fewest guesses, or just to get it within 6?

The latter, but Wordle does have a Hard Mode that forces you to use any letters that are close/correct in your next guess. For me, that's not "hard mode" but I can see the benefit of that approach if you don't care about minimising your answers. 

Well chrome has been marking my UK spelling as inaccurate for many years so it was pretty obvious to me once I had the first two letters and had already ruled out

Spoiler

T, I and E

It couldn't have been anything else really. I like the fact there's no timer as I can just think about it in my own time and not feel rushed, if there was a timer I would no doubt fuck it up.

1 hour ago, Minion said:

Well chrome has been marking my UK spelling as inaccurate for many years so it was pretty obvious to me once I had the first two letters and had already ruled out

Reveal hidden contents

T, I and E

It couldn't have been anything else really. I like the fact there's no timer as I can just think about it in my own time and not feel rushed, if there was a timer I would no doubt fuck it up.

There is a timer.

Spoiler

It’s 24 hours