IGNORED

Wordle - free daily word game (see link in first post)

Jamie John

I'm happy with a four - but no way I would have made the real word a first guess for the available letters.

Wordle 320 4/6*

⬜⬜🟨🟨⬜
🟨🟨⬜⬜🟨
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler

INERT

REACH

HOVER

WORDLE

I didn't think proper nouns were allowed - could be US baseball slang.

Yeah it's plainly not in there as a proper noun, it's just one of those coincidences that it also exists with a meaning that isn't a proper noun.

Like you couldn't have JAMES but you could have JONES (as in yearn). 

I did consider today's word, but I was on turn 6 and down to a 50:50 with one other possible letter. 

Spoiler

I chose HOVER for my turn 6.

I saw that HOMER was an option - I don't really follow baseball but like I know the basic terminology. I just thought - incorrectly - that HOVER was more likely.

5 hours ago, jonathanhoey said:

First one I’ve failed. Streak of 124 ends.

38 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

Beaten today for the first time.

Now, at last, you too know the pain.

loki-ragnarok.gif.ae9e882be7613db6ccba3c4390336ba9.gif

All these big streaks toppled today. What’s the best we have left? Expect my 116 is still a few short. And to be clear, by streak I mean since you got one wrong. I don’t count being stuck in a caravan in Wales with no cell or WiFi coverage as ending a streak (entirely random example!).

Also

Spoiler

Even if this is a cultural thing, I have never heard a single American ever use the word homer, outside of talking about the Simpsons or the actual poet. Would love to hear whether American players also thought this was a bullshit one.

42 minutes ago, jonamok said:

All these big streaks toppled today. What’s the best we have left? Expect my 116 is still a few short. And to be clear, by streak I mean since you got one wrong. I don’t count being stuck in a caravan in Wales with no cell or WiFi coverage as ending a streak (entirely random example!).

I'm on 118 wins with no losses. I missed only one day in the middle due to *various life issues*.

Had two or three very lucky close shaves though.

Regarding today's wordle ...

Spoiler

Yes, it does appear to be fairly US-centric by modern standards. But Homer was a greek epic poet, and many poems and other written works since then (literally thousands of years) have been compared to Homer's works. "Homeric" is also a word that stems from the word Homer. So yes, despite Homer being a name per se, it is also a totally valid word on its own.

Wordle 320 X/6

⬜🟨⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟨⬜🟩⬜
🟨⬜⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
⬜🟩⬜🟩🟩
🟩🟩⬜🟩🟩

Hah. From getting it in my first go yesterday to not getting todays.

Spoiler

Annoyingly I considered it halfway through but then excluded it as I figured they wouldn’t have

Spoiler

a persons name, forgetting that it’s also baseball terminology

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Regarding today's wordle ...

Hide contents

Yes, it does appear to be fairly US-centric by modern standards. But Homer was a greek epic poet, and many poems and other written works since then (literally thousands of years) have been compared to Homer's works. "Homeric" is also a word that stems from the word Homer. So yes, despite Homer being a name per se, it is also a totally valid word on its own.

I'm sorry, I don't buy it.

Spoiler

Homer Simpson or Homer who wrote the Odyssey. Either way, it's a proper noun. 

Referring to a home run as a "homer" is uncomfortably slangy for my taste in a word game (I wouldn't be super-comfortable accepting it in Scrabble for the same reason) but I'd still be sure that's how it ended up on this list. And that's fine, if that's how it is. I bet there are people whose starting word today was COMET, they got it in 2/6 and can't see what the fuss is about. 

Anyway, I think we can all agree that this is worse than when it was AIGHT*, BIGHT, EIGHT, FIGHT, LIGHT, MIGHT, NIGHT, RIGHT, SIGHT, TIGHT or WIGHT**.  

* I wouldn't have let this one through as to me it's written "A'ight" but I saw other people posting that it had accepted it as a valid guess, so here we are. 

** I legitimately don't remember which one it even was, only that everyone got -IGHT and then ran out of guesses. 

14 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

Anyway, I think we can all agree that this is worse than when it was AIGHT*, BIGHT, EIGHT, FIGHT, LIGHT, MIGHT, NIGHT, RIGHT, SIGHT, TIGHT or WIGHT**.  

We'll have to agree to disagree on today's wordle, but yes, I fell foul of that one!

21 minutes ago, jonathanhoey said:

I'm sorry, I don't buy it.

Reveal hidden contents

Homer Simpson or Homer who wrote the Odyssey. Either way, it's a proper noun. 

Referring to a home run as a "homer" is uncomfortably slangy for my taste in a word game (I wouldn't be super-comfortable accepting it in Scrabble for the same reason) but I'd still be sure that's how it ended up on this list. And that's fine, if that's how it is. I bet there are people whose starting word today was COMET, they got it in 2/6 and can't see what the fuss is about. 

* I wouldn't have let this one through as to me it's written "A'ight" but I saw other people posting that it had accepted it as a valid guess, so here we are. 

** I legitimately don't remember which one it even was, only that everyone got -IGHT and then ran out of guesses. 

Or the Scots dialect variations of LICHT, NICHT,... 

Spoiler

A little surprised that people are quite so miffed with the word. I'm pretty sure I've heard it in US films/TV to refer to a home run, but it's also used to refer to pigeons. "Homers" and "racing homers" both show up on google as breeds of pigeon.

we shouldn't, but I do personally avoid this thread from about 10.30pm in case I accidentally stumble into a timezoned spoiler. I mean, why come here before you got the word unless you're looking for clues?

2 hours ago, SeanR said:

So, we’re just doing spoilers out in the open now?

No. We're just being thick. Please don't assume folk are being nasty when they're actually just being stupid or careless. I've spoilered them now. Thanks for the heads up though. Did not intend to upset at all.

My mum got todays word and as I was grumbling about it she said she knew it because 

Spoiler

where she lives in the Western Isles of Scotland if somebody does a private job outside of work for cash, it's called a homer! 

Wordle 321 5/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜⬜

⬜⬜⬜⬜🟩

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩

⬜🟩⬜⬜🟩

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

That seemed to take a lot of guesses to learn very little information! Fortunately, ruling letters out worked almost as well as getting lots of greens and yellows.

Spoiler

FIERY

THOSE

PLACE

MAUVE

(the word)