IGNORED

The Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2021 - Voting Thread!

Treble

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Do I need to have played Psychonauts 1 or can I just go straight into 2?

I didn’t but i think you would get more out of P2 if you did. It’s a plot heavy game and it apparently follows straight on from P1. 

Personally I don’t feel I missed out too much by going straight to P2. 

A much more succinct bit of advice: don't be afraid to share your passions.

I also extremely dislike the "I don't care what your games of the year are" comment.

Why even do games journalism, or read what games journalists have to say, if you don't want to celebrate what you like or what other people like in the medium? Let's all just ignore each other and shout into a void I guess?

Edit: unless it was a joke I just didn't get.

15 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Do I need to have played Psychonauts 1 or can I just go straight into 2?

There is an excellent recap of what happens in the first game at the very start of the 2nd - helps massively as I gave up on 1 but loved 2 (it will make my top 5 when I get round to do my list)

I wish more games did a similar recap TBH.

Game of the Year 2021

A1. Returnal.
So it turns out that Arcade is not dead after all, Housemarque took the essence of second to second excitement and mutated it into something horribly dark yet burning with beautiful light. It sits way up high in its Next Gen tower waiting for everything else to find a way to catch up. 

A2. Battlefield 2042

On the list because when played with a squad of mates this is not completely rubbish and the smaller portal rush mode kept me interested after they’d all bailed on it.

A3. The Artful Escape. 
I enjoy an “experience” game from time to time and this had enough charm for me to see it through to the end. 

A4. Halo Infinite 

This feels old.

A5.

Game of the Year (premiered anywhere pre-2021) 

B1.

B2.

B3.

Biggest Disappointment of the Year

Z1. Deathloop

Z2. Halo Infinite 

Z3. Battlefield 2042

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Returnal 

S2.

S3.

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Returnal 

V2.

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1. Returnal 

W2. The Artful Escape

W3.

Format of the Year

F1. PS5

Publisher or Developer of the Year

P1. Housemarque

Game of the Year

A1. Halo Infinite

The first Halo game to feel like a great Halo game since Reach. One complaint seem to be, it’s Silent Cartographer the game with a bit of BotW, which is bit like complaining that your orgasms are too intense. It’s at the same time the most familiar Halo since CE but also arguably brings the most new gameplay elements to the party. It’s not as epic as Reach, nor as varied as CE, in fact despite its scope the familiarity feels more like the boutique ODST in some ways. Whatever it is, it feels fresh, plays like a dream and is endlessly fun. I’m actually amazed that 343 have pulled it off. Sure you can say it lays the foundations for better stuff to come, but that stuff will have to be really special to match the freshness and feels of Infinite.

A2. Forza Horizon 5

Simply the best, most fun driving game I can remember playing since Metropolis Street Racer.

A3. Guardians of the Galaxy

The best comic-book video game without Spiderman in it. A script to die for and I think this games Gamora is my favourite Gamora.

A4. Psychonauts 2

Dripping with great ideas.

A5. Scarlet Nexus

A beautiful and original action-JRPG. Weirdly similar to Psychonauts in some respects. 

B1. Carrion

The retro graphics disguise a game which is basically an incredible John Carpenter simulator. Play with headphones.

B2. Cyberpunk 

Getting there…

B3. Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice

Z1. No next-gen Cyberpunk patch

Ho-hum…

Z2. No next-gen Witcher III patch

I will start the game again for this.

Z3. No PS5 Slim

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s the current PS5.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Guardians of the Galaxy

Giving a successful pep-talk to your gang and then going nuts as some classic rock-anthem kicks in is hard to beat.

S2. Halo Infinite

Anthemic orchestral numbers, glacier-cool electronica, wonderful ambient sounds, great effects and snappy incidental dialogue. Well good.

S3.

V1. Resi VIII

The best looking Resi ever with the best character design ever. Shame the game doesn’t quite live up to the aesthetic.

V2. Scarlet Nexus

V3. Forza Horizon 5

Writing of the Year

W1. Guardians of the Galaxy 

Fist pumping camaraderie with chuckles.

W2. Psychonauts 2

Tell me about your mother…

W3. Resi VIII

Crazy bonks.

Format of the Year

F1. Xbox Series X

Beautiful, quiet as a mouse and with a roster of the years greatest games delivered to your living room automatically via Gamepass.

P1. Xbox Games Studio

The greatest cluster of releases I can remember. A year late but worth the wait.

I'm picturing a game of the year winner that no cunt can actually play yet on account of it only working on a console that is built from materials made of hens teeth marinaded in unicorn blood.

Game of the Year 2021

A1. Halo Infinite

A2. Returnal

A3. Bowsers Fury

A4. Metroid Dread

A5. No More Heroes III

B1. 

B2. 

B3. 

Z1. No Breath of the Wild sequel

Z2. No Metroid Prime 4

Z3. No Overwatch 2

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Returnal

S2. Halo Infinite

S3. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart

V1. Returnal

V2. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart

V3. Metroid Dread

Writing of the Year

W1. Returnal

W2. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart

W3. The Artful Escape

Format of the Year

F1. PS5

P1. Xbox game studios 

Game of the Year

A1. Returnal

A2. Metroid: Dread

A3. Monster Hunter: Rise

A4. Unpacking 

A5. Bowser's Fury

B1. Quake Remastered

B2. Luigi's Mansion 3

B3. Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo

Z1. Games industry shithousery

Z2. Halo: Infinite campaign

Z3. Nintendo Online Expansion Pack

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Returnal

S2. Kid A Mnesia

S3. Halo Infinite

V1. Returnal

V2. Metroid: Dread

V3. Forza Horizon 5

Writing of the Year

W1. Returnal

W2. Unpacking

W3.

Format of the Year

F1. PC

P1. Housemarque

Here it is guys, with massive thanks to @Treble for all the palaver. 

Game of the Year 2021

A1. No More Heroes III

With the recent pessimism surrounding the decline of Japanese B games, the unstoppable rise of the western AAA, Sony dropping out of the Japanese market, consumers wanting bigger and better and ray-tracinger etc. etc., it was refreshing and really pleasing to see that Grasshopper hadn't in fact got the memo, and were jankily carrying on the party like it was 2005. NMHIII has texture pop-in from a few metres away, a frame-rate that could generously be called inconsistent and very little meaningful interaction with its sparsely-populated, uncanny open world. And yet. The combat is absolutely amazing, the character and alien design is just really damn punk and the VA from Robin Atkin Downes and Noshir Dalal, as main arch-rivals Travis and alien lord Fu, just sells the whole damn stupid story in a way that will have you punching the air during their final fatal battle to be No. 1 ranked assassin in the universe. It's first and foremost just a damn good videogame, and it knows it. Oh, and the item shop theme really didn't need to go this hard but I'm really, really glad it does.

A2. Shin Megami Tensei V

It's not often I find myself agreeing with @Wiper's 100% correct opinions, but the fella is bang on the money here, and MegaTen V is the best JRPG I've played in ages. Taking open world cues from - what else? - BotW, the areas you find yourself in work like massive dungeons, albeit dungeons taking place in the ruins of vaguely recognisable Tokyo cityscapes, with a pleasing verticality to everything as you explore the ruins of collapsed skyscrapers searching for Miman, the korok equivalents. Starting off with faeries and the sandman in your party of recruitable, trainable monsters ripped from centuries of folklore and religion from around the world, you can kind of guess you're reaching the end game when your party consists of Loki, the Buddhist arch-demon Mara, the Virgin Mary and Lord Ganesh. With punchy combat and meaningful exploration, it never lulls during its 50-hour odd playtime.

A3. Metroid Dread

It might just be me, but Dread seems to be the most hardcore, difficult game Ninty has put out for ages. With all the impact of a shinespark to the face, the game has you blasting through the abandoned planet of ZDR at a pace that only lets up when you run into the EMMI robots - Dread there stealing the ultra-tense SA-X encounters from Fusion and deciding to make a game around them. It doesn't quite come together; ZDR never feels like a real, breathing planet akin to Zebes or Talon IV, and you're pretty much funneled from one area to the next in a way that makes it feel more an heir to the philosophy of Fusion and Samus Returns, rather than Prime or Super. But the boss battles are killer, the rare moments of Samus' expressing herself are badass and the animation throughout is absolutely top-notch. It's also great that they named the game Dread not after the relentless EMMIs, but the feeling that accompanies the discovery of that coveted energy tank hidden behind two tiny, inconspicuous speed boost blocks. To quote our own @Cyhwuhx, 'You want to me to shinespark where?!?'.

A4. Monster Hunter Rise

I bounced off World quite a bit when it released a few years ago on PS4, but Rise really clicked this year and I'm glad I can finally say that I 'get' Monster Hunter. It's all about the multiplayer. Single player is challenging and fun, but the rush that comes with playing online co-op, with friends or (usually Japanese) strangers alike, taking down a vicious Magnamalo with judicious zipping around on wirebugs, is a gaming experience that gets its hooks into you, forever chasing the next cool piece of armour made of the skin of the monster who's head you'd just caved in. The levels are wide and tall, the move sets as satisfying to learn as always, and leaping off your faithful palamute at full speed to plunge into your quarry's cranium long sword first rarely gets boring.

A5. Lost Judgment

It's a RGG Studios game. It's spotting UFOs so that a high school kid can come to terms with the fact that his father has run off with another woman. It's finding out what is so cursed about a lucky cat statue that seems to kill everyone who touches it. It's spotting a cat burglar panty thief who claims to be Spiderman in his defence. It's KimuTaku laying the smack down on school kids for having their shirts untucked. It's racing your drone through the streets of Yokohama to earn cash. It's working at a posh private school that somehow doesn't require any DBS checks to be the girls' dance club instructor. It's unpacking a pretty dark murder mystery. It's sitting back with a highball in the depths of Kamurocho, and then going to the Sega game centre to unwind with some House Hama of the Dead. It's punching punks for looking at you funny. It's a RGG Studios game. And it's glorious.

B1. Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye

Anyone who has ever-so-cautiously piloted their spaceship through the depths of Dark Bramble, or of Giant's Deep, secretly knows: Mobius Digital want to make a horror game. And here they have, sort of. I don't think I've ever played a game that had environments that were so... cosy, yet off at the same time. It lacks the space travel that made the original game so special, and the new area to explore in EotE recalls influences from the original Myst to Amnesia, but the puzzle solving, frights and attention to detail of the new environment make a hell of a lasting impression that sticks with you.

B2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Loved the motion controls on the Wii. Loved the motion controls (and the 60 fps) here. Great Zelda with an underrated soundtrack.

B3. Bowser's Fury

A fun Mazza that can't shake the impression of being a neat proof of concept. Short and sweet, with an entertaining central mechanic.

Z1. Still not being able to buy next gen consoles at retail

Z2. Look here! It's NFTs! With this new technology on the etherhiumium block chain, we will be able to engage with our consumers content, consumers, make them free to play, play to earn, consume, unprecedented opportunities for content creation in the hands of our consumers, content, play to engage zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... fuck off

Z3. 

Sound Design of the Year

S1. No More Heroes III

S2. NEO: The World Ends with You

S3. Nier Replicant

V1. NEO: The World Ends with You

V2. Dungeon Encounters

V3. R-Type Final 2

Writing of the Year

W1. Lost Judgment

W2. No More Heroes III

W3.

Format of the Year

F1. Nintendo Switch

P1. Grasshopper Manufacture

16 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

Here it is guys, with massive thanks to @Treble for all the palaver. 

Game of the Year 2021

A1. No More Heroes III

With the recent pessimism surrounding the decline of Japanese B games, the unstoppable rise of the western AAA, Sony dropping out of the Japanese market, consumers wanting bigger and better and ray-tracinger etc. etc., it was refreshing and really pleasing to see that Grasshopper hadn't in fact got the memo, and were jankily carrying on the party like it was 2005. NMHIII has texture pop-in from a few metres away, a frame-rate that could generously be called inconsistent and very little meaningful interaction with its sparsely-populated, uncanny open world. And yet. The combat is absolutely amazing, the character and alien design is just really damn punk and the VA from Robin Atkin Downes and Noshir Dalal, as main arch-rivals Travis and alien lord Fu, just sells the whole damn stupid story in a way that will have you punching the air during their final fatal battle to be No. 1 ranked assassin in the universe. It's first and foremost just a damn good videogame, and it knows it. Oh, and the item shop theme really didn't need to go this hard but I'm really, really glad it does.

A2. Shin Megami Tensei V

It's not often I find myself agreeing with @Wiper's 100% correct opinions, but the fella is bang on the money here, and MegaTen V is the best JRPG I've played in ages. Taking open world cues from - what else? - BotW, the areas you find yourself in work like massive dungeons, albeit dungeons taking place in the ruins of vaguely recognisable Tokyo cityscapes, with a pleasing verticality to everything as you explore the ruins of collapsed skyscrapers searching for Miman, the korok equivalents. Starting off with faeries and the sandman in your party of recruitable, trainable monsters ripped from centuries of folklore and religion from around the world, you can kind of guess you're reaching the end game when your party consists of Loki, the Buddhist arch-demon Mara, the Virgin Mary and Lord Ganesh. With punchy combat and meaningful exploration, it never lulls during its 50-hour odd playtime.

A3. Metroid Dread

It might just be me, but Dread seems to be the most hardcore, difficult game Ninty has put out for ages. With all the impact of a shinespark to the face, the game has you blasting through the abandoned planet of ZDR at a pace that only lets up when you run into the EMMI robots - Dread there stealing the ultra-tense SA-X encounters from Fusion and deciding to make a game around them. It doesn't quite come together; ZDR never feels like a real, breathing planet akin to Zebes or Talon IV, and you're pretty much funneled from one area to the next in a way that makes it feel more an heir to the philosophy of Fusion and Samus Returns, rather than Prime or Super. But the boss battles are killer, the rare moments of Samus' expressing herself are badass and the animation throughout is absolutely top-notch. It's also great that they named the game Dread not after the relentless EMMIs, but the feeling that accompanies the discovery of that coveted energy tank hidden behind two tiny, inconspicuous speed boost blocks. To quote our own @Cyhwuhx, 'You want to me to shinespark where?!?'.

A4. Monster Hunter Rise

I bounced off World quite a bit when it released a few years ago on PS4, but Rise really clicked this year and I'm glad I can finally say that I 'get' Monster Hunter. It's all about the multiplayer. Single player is challenging and fun, but the rush that comes with playing online co-op, with friends or (usually Japanese) strangers alike, taking down a vicious Magnamalo with judicious zipping around on wirebugs, is a gaming experience that gets its hooks into you, forever chasing the next cool piece of armour made of the skin of the monster who's head you'd just caved in. The levels are wide and tall, the move sets as satisfying to learn as always, and leaping off your faithful palamute at full speed to plunge into your quarry's cranium long sword first rarely gets boring.

A5. Lost Judgment

It's a RGG Studios game. It's spotting UFOs so that a high school kid can come to terms with the fact that his father has run off with another woman. It's finding out what is so cursed about a lucky cat statue that seems to kill everyone who touches it. It's spotting a cat burglar panty thief who claims to be Spiderman in his defence. It's KimuTaku laying the smack down on school kids for having their shirts untucked. It's racing your drone through the streets of Yokohama to earn cash. It's working at a posh private school that somehow doesn't require any DBS checks to be the girls' dance club instructor. It's unpacking a pretty dark murder mystery. It's sitting back with a highball in the depths of Kamurocho, and then going to the Sega game centre to unwind with some House Hama of the Dead. It's punching punks for looking at you funny. It's a RGG Studios game. And it's glorious.

B1. Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye

Anyone who has piloted their spaceship through the depths of Dark Bramble, or of Giant's Deep, secretly knows: Mobius Digital want to make a horror game. And here they have, sort of. I don't think I've ever played a game that had environments that were so... cosy, yet off at the same time. It lacks the space travel that made the original game so special, and the new area to explore in EotE recalls influences from the original Myst to Amnesia, but the puzzle solving, frights and attention to detail of the new environment make a hell of a lasting impression that sticks with you.

B2. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Loved the motion controls on the Wii. Loved the motion controls (and the 60 fps) here. Great Zelda with an underrated soundtrack.

B3. Bowser's Fury

A fun Mazza that can't shake the impression of being a neat proof of concept. Short and sweet, with an entertaining central mechanic.

Z1. Still not being able to buy next gen consoles at retail

Z2. Look here! It's NFTs! With this new technology on the etherhiumium block chain, we will be able to engage with our consumers content, consumers, make them free to play, play to earn, consume, unprecedented opportunities for content creation in the hands of our consumers, content, play to engage zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... fuck off

Z3. 

Sound Design of the Year

S1. No More Heroes III

S2. NEO: The World Ends with You

S3. Nier Replicant

V1. NEO: The World Ends with You

V2. Dungeon Encounters

V3. R-Type Final 2

Writing of the Year

W1. Lost Judgment

W2. No More Heroes III

W3.

Format of the Year

F1. Nintendo Switch

P1. Grasshopper Manufacture

Great post. I really need to check out No More Heroes 3 and still can’t quite figure out how they got Monster Hunter Rise running on Switch.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Great post. I really need to check out No More Heroes 3 and still can’t quite figure out how they got Monster Hunter Rise running on Switch.

NMH3 isn’t perfect but it’s combat is the most satisfying you’ll experience in a long old time.

MH3 they got running on the switch by dropping the resolution, running it at 30 and not using many textures. Controversial opinion - and MHR is the only monster hunter I’ve played - but they should have gone with a cell shaded style like BOTW. (I know we have Monster Hunter Stories for that but still)

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

MH3 they got running on the switch by dropping the resolution, running it at 30 and not using many textures.

And as a result it looks better than like 80% of games released this year. 

Game of the Year 2021

A1. Halo Infinite

It feels a bit odd to give this the highest vote, because there is so much of this which is unsatisfying - the campaign (which I maintain is still good) suffers from a lack of variety and frustrating bosses, the multiplayer screams 'free to play' with a half finished rewards system, appalling battle pass system and no statistics to look through.  HOWEVER - the main reason many of us love this hobby is gameplay.  Halo Infinite absolutely nails gunplay, and in the campaign, it invites inventive methods of approaching different scenarios.  It's multiplayer where it really comes alive, and is the reason I'm placing it #1.  This is one of the best Halo experiences ever when you team up with friends.  Matches are perfectly paced, the variety of weapons is right, the feel of matches is bang on the money.  And my god, it's one of the sexiest sounding games around.  I will be pouring hours and hours into the mutliplayer throughout 2022 - and my main hope is that the whole game is built on further, both campaign and multiplayer - there's the bare bones of a classic game here, but right now it's just the multiplayer that shines for me.  Still far from as good as it should be, but it's still good enough to top the charts for me.  Should have been comfortably my number 1 choice, rather than just about pipping the others to top spot.

A2. It Takes Two

Just about finished this with my 11 year old daughter - this is the surprise hit of the year.  Each level has a unique theme to it, and not one of them is anything other than excellent.  The game play is superbly varied, the many puzzles are such fun to solve, no control method or quirk ever outstays its welcome and even with the substandard story behind the whole thing, it's BRILLIANT fun from start to finish.

A3. Forza Horizon 5

The best looking game on the Series X - breathtaking to look at.  Whilst FH5 never really offers anything new to the Horizon series, I think it plays better than any previous instalments.  The 'busy' world map has never particularly bothered me - but with a better online performance and absence of the 'influencer' bullshit vibe, this would have placed higher on my list.  Still loads left to enjoy for me after 50 hours of fun - races feel, look and sound tremendous and the seasonal objectives mean that I'll be coming back to this regularly in 2022. 

A4. Psychonauts 2

I couldn't get along with the first Psychonauts game but the sequel won me over with aplomb.  The creativity and thought that has gone into each world is superb, it looks wonderful and I had a blast playing though it.  I also thought this was the perfect length.  The psychedelic music level is one of the best gaming moments of the year.

A5. The Artful Escape

Where would we be without Game Pass?  If anyone tried to explain this to me, I'd have never given this a go but this is as much an experience as an actual game.  It requires no skill whatsoever to play but I would have hated to have missed out on shredding a guitar whilst sliding down a rainbow whilst sporting a red glittery jacket and a ginger mullet.

B1. Hades - won't argue with the forum consensus on this being a 'B' category as I played this on the switch early in 2021 before going through it again on the Series X.  It's a masterpiece.  Would have been my overall GOTY if it was released in 2021.  Probably sunk 200+ hours into this over 2 formats.

B2. Microsoft Flight Simulator - the first game I loaded up on my Series X and LG C1 telly.  Holy moly.  Ridiculous.  I'm shit at it but I often jump on for a quick voyage somewhere familiar.

B3. Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Z1. The Ascent.  I explained further in the disappointment thread but this was a mediocre game that should have been an absolute classic.  Looks sensational, mind you

Z2. Halo Infinite not being 'finished' - seems bizarre to list my #1 game in this category but it should have been considerably better.  I remain hopeful that in time, it WILL be a more polished product with further fleshed out content.  FFS, 343 - let me see my medal collection!!

Z3. Nintendo Online - it's fucking dreadful, isn't it?

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Halo Infinite - wonderful crunching guns, grenades, melee attacks etc.  Perfect.

S2. Forza Horizon 5 - I finally got a decent headset in 2021 and cranking them up whilst exploring Mexico sounds insane.  A shout out to the flamingoes taking flight in stereo as you bomb past them.

S3. The Artful Escape - a cacophony of noise from start to finish.  I loved the guitar effects, the crescendos and of course Calvagio

V1. Forza Horizon 5

V2. The Ascent

V3. The Gunk

Writing of the Year

W1. Psychonauts 2

W2. The Artful Escape

W3. Unpacking

Format of the Year

F1. Has to be Xbox - Game Pass has been an absolute revelation for my gaming.  I spend less but spend far more time on games these days, the variety of games I play is larger than even and with all the big 1st party releases arriving on Day 1, it's easily the best value you can get, and that's at the highest price you would have to pay, without the stacked subscription trick.  I'd love to be able to play some of those awesome PS5 exclusives but that system as a whole looks so much worse value without a similar subscription service.

P1. Rare - the continued development of Sea of Thieves (and their excellent dev videos and support) just goes to show how much a game can grow from what was originally a bare bones experience.  The game is now jam packed with features.  I'm hoping 343i take note.  The Pirates of the Caribbean crossover was a match made in heaven.  Or the seven seas.  Or whatever.

Not to piss on your cornflakes, @Boothjan, but I don't think you can vote for either Odyssey game in the 'B' category - it needs to be a game that was released in 2021 but originally came out earlier, not just any game you played in 2021 that was released prior to 2021. That's my understanding, anyway. Hades qualifies because it was originally released in 2020 and then ported to other consoles in 2021, but neither Mario nor Assassin's Creed Odyssey were.

1 minute ago, Jamie John said:

Not to piss on your cornflakes, @Boothjan, but I don't think you can vote for either Odyssey game in the 'B' category - it needs to be a game that was released in 2021 but originally came out earlier, not just any game you played in 2021 that was released prior to 2021. That's my understanding, anyway. Hades qualifies because it was originally released in 2020 and then ported to other consoles in 2021, but neither Mario nor Assassin's Creed Odyssey were.

Ah my apologies - I will amend if that's the case.

2 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

Ah my apologies - I will amend if that's the case.

I *think* that's the case, anyway - the game still needs to have been released on a platform in 2021 - although several other people appear to have done what you've done. Could you please clarify, @Treble?

8 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I *think* that's the case, anyway - the game still needs to have been released on a platform in 2021 - although several other people appear to have done what you've done. Could you please clarify, @Treble?

I have a few other contenders I can use instead but I'll be sad to lose the Proclaimers line as I was quite proud of that.

25 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I think there are several voters that have misunderstood this a bit and have assumed it just meant your favourite games you played in 2021 no matter when it came out. E.g. @Strafe.

Save it for the 2022 top 100 games list or something where you can pick anything.