The Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2021 - Voting Thread!

Treble

Game of the Year 2021

A1. Forza Horizon 5

First FH game I properly played (I got 4 off game pass but it never really clicked). Astonishingly beautiful, super accessible, fun handling and a real hook to keep you coming back. I didn’t even mind the car bro bullshit. 

A2. Guardians of the Galaxy

A massive surprise that I’d internally filed under cheap Marvel cash in until I started reading the thread here. After getting it cheap and feeling a bit underwhelmed initially (indeed it nearly fell in to the pile of shame) I picked it up again just before Christmas and the second half of the game was brilliant. And kicking enemies in the face to Wham never got old. 

A3. Halo Infinite

Its not great, but it is very good. Bobbins story, pretty boring map really, and fuck the boss fights, but I just love controlling Chief. The minute to minute fighting is great. 

A4. Unpacking

Lovely. That is all

A5. Psychonauts 2

Gave me real old school 3D platformer vibes but executed so well. A couple of levels really stand out in my memory (loved the 60fps psych level). Not a classic by any means but a game that clearly had a lot of love poured in to it and it kept me going right to the end. 

Game of the Year (premiered anywhere pre-2021) 

B1. Return of the Obra Dinn

B2.

B3.

Biggest Disappointment of the Year

Z1. Big publishers being big publishers

Z2. NFT bullshit

Z3. Not having a console for the first time in forever and not feeling like I was missing anything

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Guardians of the Galaxy

S2. Psychonauts 2

S3. Forza Horizon 5

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Forza Horizon 5

V2. Psychonauts 2

V3. Unpacking

Writing of the Year

W1. Guardians of the Galaxy. Some of the dialogue in this was brilliant, genuinely laugh out loud stuff. But I also thought it managed to cover some strong themes, about grief and letting go. A real surprise

W2. Wildermyth. Found the game a bit meh but the procedurally generated stories were great

W3. Last Stop. Bit of a misstep of an ending but love the first three quarters. A brilliantly realised London vibe. 

Format of the Year

F1. PC

Publisher or Developer of the Year

P1. Asobo

Steve’s bonus actual GOTY this year…

My actual GOTY was Flight Simulator, indeed it dominated my gaming time for months and months, and although I have had a break from it to actually play some other games in recent months it will probably be my GOTY next year too. I completely absorbed myself in learning about instrument flying, air traffic control procedures, flight planning, the whole shebang. And managing to complete an entire A320 flight (with the Fly By Wire mod) from cold and dark to shutdown was easily my highlight of the year. A monumental achievement. 

Another one was Dyson Sphere Factory. Absolutely mental multiplanet factory builder where your goal is to harness the entire power output of a star. Utterly brilliant. 

2 hours ago, Treble said:

More rule changes everyone! That's what you want, right? 

Anyway, it's a reasonable one as its genuinely a new game:

Bowser’s Fury IS permitted in category A. You are to explicitly state you're voting for BF by removing the Super Mario 3D World bit from the title or I'll stick it in cat B. 

:wub:

This is all so arbitrary. If Bowser's Fury was on any other platform it would be a downloadable expansion pack/DLC ineligible for category A. It seems like it's only eligible because of Nintendo's old-fashioned release strategies.

There have been expansion packs easily equivalent to Bowser's Fury in terms of new content. On what grounds would one of The Witcher 3 expansion packs for example, which takes place in an entirely brand new location, not be equivalent to Bowser's Fury in terms of new content? The only difference is the release strategy. Nintendo are still forcing you to buy an old game to get Bowser's Fury. That's no different to CDPR requiring you to own Witcher 3 base game to get Blood and Wine.

Again, Bowser’s Fury controls utterly differently to the game it was packed in with. It simply isn’t 3D World DLC. It’s open world compared to 3D World’s linear assault courses, with full analogue control and 360 degree camera control. Mario’s move set is completely different, with different physics. It’s a new game, albeit short at 5-6 hours. As long / longer than many celebrated indie games, for instance. 

I bought 3D World + Bowser’s Fury because I had to play the new 3D Mario game, which wasn’t 3D World, put it that way. I’d already 100%’d and still own that on Wii U.

2 hours ago, Majora said:

This is all so arbitrary. If Bowser's Fury was on any other platform it would be a downloadable expansion pack/DLC ineligible for category A. It seems like it's only eligible because of Nintendo's old-fashioned release strategies.

There have been expansion packs easily equivalent to Bowser's Fury in terms of new content. On what grounds would one of The Witcher 3 expansion packs for example, which takes place in an entirely brand new location, not be equivalent to Bowser's Fury in terms of new content? The only difference is the release strategy. Nintendo are still forcing you to buy an old game to get Bowser's Fury. That's no different to CDPR requiring you to own Witcher 3 base game to get Blood and Wine.

There are plenty of shorter standalone experiences on other platforms that get full releases making them eligible for whatever year they were  released, Nintendo themselves did this with Xenoblade Chronicles Torna, it even had a physical release.

Bowser’s Fury is a curio for sure, clearly in development between 3D World and Odyssey and then brought up to scratch to release alongside the 3D World remaster, but not like it at all in terms of design, and probably deemed too short to sell outright. 

Bowsers Fury deserved to be a separate £35 game. It’s fucking superb and a shame it has been seemingly devalued through Nintendo’s generosity. 

3 hours ago, Majora said:

If Bowser's Fury was on any other platform it would be a downloadable expansion pack/DLC ineligible for category A.

Did you actually play it because it’s nothing like 3D world. Or Odyssey. 

I'll edit this with words when I have more time but here is a list.

Game of the Year 2021

A1. Returnal

A2. Death's Door

A3. NieR Replicant

A4. Gunfire Reborn

A5. RE: Village

B1. Half Life Alyx

B2. PUBG:  Battlegrounds

B3. Destiny 2

Z1. Tales of Arise

Z2. New World

Z3. Guardians of the Galaxy

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Returnal

S2. Guardians of the Galaxy

S3. RE: Village

V1. Returnal

V2. Death's Door

V3. Guardians of the Galaxy

Writing of the Year

W1. Guardians of the Galaxy

W2. NieR Replicant

W3. Returnal

Format of the Year

F1. PC

P1. Housemarque

Terrible year for new and original release. Awesome year for working through backlog, and playing everything how it should be from now on: 60/120 fps, stable frame rates and fast loading times. 

Game of the Year

A1. Death's Door (Xbox). Big surprise. 

A2. WRC 10 (Xbox). The best rally game got even better.

A3. Cyber Shadow (Xbox). 

A4. Halo Infinite (Xbox). Barely, because I hate the open world parts, but the core Halo gameplay loop is there again. 

B1. Disco Elysium (the first videogame novel)

B2. Street of Rage 4 + Mr X Nightmare DLC (just so much old-school fun)

B3. Death Cells (awesome post-release support)

Z1. Activision Blizzard (borderline criminal conduct PLUS no creative output)

Z2. Ubisoft (NFTs, sexism, non-inclusive culture, too much BS, bad game releases)

Z3. CD Project Red (where are those next-gen updates)

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Cyber Shadow

S2. Halo Infinite

V1. Sable

V2. Psychonauts 2

V3. The Artful Escape

Writing of the Year

Nothing stood out really for 2021 releases. Should have been 12 minutes but it wasn't. 

W1. 

W2.

W3.

Format of the Year

F1. Xbox (Game Pass)

P1. Annapurna Interactive

Game of the Year 2021

A1. Metroid Dread - I loved the movement, exploration, abilities and moment to moment gameplay, but despised all the bosses...don't think I can be bothered with the final one.

A2. Resident Evil Village - Some real low points but a great Resi Ghost Train all the same, looking forward to repeated playthroughs with upgraded kit.

A3. Ghosts n Goblins Resurrection - I adore this series and was really pleased with this.

B1. Super Mario 3D World and Bowser's Fury

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Resident Evil Village

S2. Metroid Dread

S3. Ghosts n Goblins Resurrection

V1. Resident Evil Village

V2. Ghosts n Goblins Resurrection

V3. Metroid Dread

Format of the Year

F1. Switch

P1. Capcom

Game of the Year 2021

A1. Unpacking
Delightful wee game. Surprisingly effective at conveying its narrative through snapshots of a life at various stages, and through mechanical choices like [spoiler]the only place for her degree (I think) is under his bed, that was heartbreaking.[/spoiler].  A masterclass in environmental story telling.

A2. Overboard
Another year another Inkle game in my GOTY list. Trying to get away with killing your husband on a transatlantic crossing in 1935. Very Agatha Christie inspired.

A3. It Takes Two

I admit I’ve not finished it but what I’ve played so far is so joyfully inventive that it’s crashed into this list this week.

A4. Guardians of the Galaxy

Again a game that’s really driven by the characters relationships and constant bickering. A group that never shuts up, and they pull it off, it’s very entertaining. The weakest element to me was the combat, I don’t think it managed to pull off what it was going for.

A5. 

B1. Haven 

Loved the character relationship & writing, the voice acting was along really strong. Really sex positive too. 

Loved the flying around and could just do more of that. For the flying you controlled one of them & the other followed or they held hands. Other interactions reflected the fact they were a duo & you were controlling both of them, using a stick to represent each of them.

Cooking and crafting each used two ingredients, one picked by each stick. Combat was the same, but they could do different actions or perform the same action as a paired action. Combat was the weakest aspect, turned down the difficulty of it. But it didn’t detract from my enjoyment.

It’s really a game about the character’s relationship, and I’m an old romantic at heart. I just want to spend more time with Yu & Kay.

B2. A Way Out

B3. Monster Train

Z1. Activision Blizzard and all the associated shit

Z2. Ubisoft still not having sorted themselves out 

Z3. The embracing of NFTs by the games industry

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Guardians of the Galaxy

S2.

S3.

V1. The Ascent

V2. Unpacking 

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1. Guardians of the Galaxy

W2. Overboard

W3.

Format of the Year

F1.

P1.

edit - moved Haven, will fill in other bits later

VOTING TEMPLATE

Game of the Year 2021

A1. Psychonauts 2

this game was cool

A2. Halo infinite

my opinons here. Don't click here if you don't want to read them.

A3.Deltarune chapter 2

I'm intrigued how making different choices will work in this game. Can't wait to play this over and over again exactly the same way every 3 years until it's finished or I die.

A4. Age of Empires 4

I assume the forum hates this game since there was no thread. I enjoyed the campaign, played so much I made myself sick, lost badly at online and then uninstalled it.

A5. Subnautica below zero

Quite good but not as good as the first.

B1.

B2.

B3.

Z1. No advance wars. Advance wars on the GBA was delayed in Europe so I guess it's a homage but I still hate waiting longer than expected.

Z2.

Z3.

Sound Design of the Year

S1.

S2.

S3.

V1. Psychonauts 2. It looked really really interesting.

V2.

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1.

W2.

W3.

Format of the Year

F1. PC. 4/5 of my top 5 are xbox game pass for PC games. Way to go microsoft

P1. Microsoft game studios. See above.

Just adding my two pence ahead of voting (which I'm glad the deadline is not today, the recent switch sale has changed how I would vote. Esp in the case of overboard which I absolutely love)... Anyway think the clarification and talk about games released/re-released this year adds a new element. Agree with what was decided.

On 30/12/2021 at 20:12, Treble said:

@Qazimod(and anyone else who needs to know): Tetris Effect: Connected will have to move into the B category now. 

It's like Brexit all over again. I did not vote for this. I was happy with how things were. :P

Game of the Year 2021

A1. It Takes Two

A2. Kena: Bridge of Spirits

A3. Wildermyth

A4. Life is Strange: True Colours

A5. Guardians of the Galaxy

B1.

B2.

B3.

Z1.

Z2.

Z3.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Kena: Bridge of Spirits

S2. Guardians of the Galaxy

S3. Halo Infinite

V1. Kena: Bridge of Spirits

V2. Forza Horizon 5

V3. Life is Strange: True Colours

Writing of the Year

W1. Life is Strange: True Colours

W2. Guardians of the Galaxy

W3. Wildermyth

Format of the Year

F1.

P1.

VOTING TEMPLATE

Game of the Year

A1. Unpacking - I wasn’t going to put this top, but after completing the game and watching my brother play through a section thereafter it was really fascinating to hear his own piecemeal interpretation of the story. Usually I am a bit too literal to enjoy ambiguous story telling, but this game really hit the spot for me with its subtleties in the mechanics. 

The incredible mundanity of the objects and spaces allows for specific personal reflection, it’s something I have not experienced in any other medium, let alone games. 

A2. The Forgotten City - I don’t think there is a bad line of dialogue throughout. The setting is brilliantly realised and the game gave me the perfect level of hand holding to make me feel smart without letting me get frustrated or stuck. 

A3. Psychonauts 2 - it’s not a perfect game by any means but you cannot fault the effort that’s gone into it, particularly the world building. The open area around the Psychonauts HQ was so enjoyable to explore and the music fucking SLAPS. 

A4. It Takes Two - it looks great, some of the mechanics are genuinely Nintendo grade and there aren’t enough of these bespoke Co-op experiences about. The only real mark I would hold against it is it’s just a bit too long. 

A5. Forza Horizon 5 - I’ve kind of binned this off for Halo Infinite now, but I really do plan to go back to it at some point. Changing the car controls from automatic to manual makes such a big difference in how engaged you need to be, it makes each corner like a super satisfying little mini game. 

B1. 

B2. 

B3.

Z1. Probably still got to be Activision 

Z2. No BOTW2

Z3.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Unpacking

S2. Halo Infinite

S3. 

V1. Psychonauts 2

V2. The Artful Escape

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1. The Forgotten City 

W2. Psychonauts 2

W3. 

Format of the Year

F1. Xbox - game pass has truly warped my perception of value. 

P1. Xbox Game Studios - Halo, FH5 and Psychonauts 2 (whilst I don’t think any of these are masterpieces, I still had a lot of fun with them)