IGNORED

The Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2021 - Voting Thread!

Treble

27 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

The rules are arbitrary and fucked because let’s face it, it’s to accommodate people who only played Hades because it was free on Gamepass. 

A disappointing reaction, but not unexpected. I've explained the logic of the rules enough by now, please read back. You may not agree with them, but you can't argue they are illogical or unfair just because they don't meet your personal criteria. Exercise: think about your favourite - Returnal - and how many people actually have access to this, and how that may affect their opinion on a release to a different platform next year. 

2 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

Just make it a bonus list when the results are posted: “This is what the final ranking would look like if it only included games that were released for the first time.” Easy.

Oh aye, absolutely. All results for years have contained this kind of analysis. 2021's wont be any different. 

7 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Hilarious as it may be, the possibility of Returnal winning two years in row would be daft. New year, new winners, new list! (I fucking loved Hades btw, in the format it was intended).

Tetris been mine 5 years in a row

Don't say I never give you anything! For the sake of democracy 

my-allegiance-is-to-democracy.jpg.634cf37213473f2ddf28986901d04da0.jpg

I've created a voting thread on this contentious subject. I don't give a frig one way or another and will abide by the votes. Knock yourselves out :)

Game of the Year

A1. Returnal

A2. Deaths Door

A3. Forza Horizon 5

A4. It Takes Two

A5. The Artful Escape

Biggest Disappointment of the Year

Z1. 12 Minutes

Z2. The Medium

Z3. Nintendo (first party releases & online)

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Returnal

S2. Guardians of the Galaxy

S3. The Artful Escape

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Returnal

V2. The Artful Escape

V3. Psychonauts 2

Writing of the Year

W1. Guardians of the Galaxy

W2. Returnal

W3. Life is Strange: True Colours

Format of the Year

F1. Xbox 

Publisher or Developer of the Year

P1. Housemarque

Game of the Year

A1. Returnal - Sometimes games ask more of the player, in return for that sense of pride for prevailing. Absolutely savage at times, but always fair, this is my game of the year. 

A2. Guardians of the Galaxy - Space Llama 

A3. Tales of Arise - Platinum Trophy Dream 

A4. Death's Door - Incredible Boss Fights

Z1. Death Loop - Pants 

Z2. GTA Trilogy - Performance Pants 

Z3. Nintendo - Painfully Poor Pants

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Returnal - Hyperion ascension and then fight. Holy moly. 

S2. Guardians of the Galaxy - OST

S3. Death's Door 

V1. Returnal - Phenomenal use of art to lead the player 

V2. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart - Pixar the game 

V3. Guardians of the Galaxy - Unbelievable, Whacky Sci Fi

Writing of the Year

W1. Guardians of the Galaxy - Drax on Knowhere

W2. Returnal - Surreal, tense and quite frightening

Format of the Year

F1. PS5 - Gamepass this isn't, however the first party titles, PS4 and 5 are leagues above. Replaying God of War, Final Fantasy VII ontop of new releases like Returnal cement the systems game library as being small, but brilliant. 

P1. Housemarque - Proven themselves as absolute titans of game design and game feel. 

I completed Hades again this year and it would hit the top of most categories for me but...I've been playing it on the PC (and plan to run through it on GamePass just to redo the achievements) so it feels a bit unfair for me to include it in my list for the year.

Feels a bit unfair to exclude it for those who only got access to it this year though!

Same with Mass Effect Legendary Edition for me but ymmv. I am going to include Nier Replicant because that's had a pretty big overhaul that's turned an unpolished gem into something more appealing (even if I'm not keen on some of the changes.)

Game of the Year

A1. Returnal

A2. Lost Judgment

A3. 

A4. 

A5. 

Game of the Year (premiered anywhere pre-2021) 

B1. Yakuza: Like a Dragon

B2. Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown

B3. Alan Wake Remastered

Z1. Rockstar's GTA Trilogy 'effort' confirming they just don't give a fuck outside of GTA online anymore. A depressing outcome for my favourite developer and publisher of the 6th gen.

Z2. The complete no-show of Last of Us 2 Factions Multiplayer. The first one is absolutely fantastic and I can't wait to get lost in this for hours.

Z3. The year 2021 as a whole, personally an abysmal year for new releases, spent most of the year playing remasters of old games or just old games full stop. Mind you when it gives you the opportunity to play a missed classic like Nights into Dreams for the first time, it ain't all that bad i guess.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Returnal - Just a fantastic soundscape, everything just works. The score is amazing and it has one of the best uses of a licensed track in gaming history in the way it is presented in game and sampled into an incredible boss fight. Hyperion is the best boss fight FROM never made.

S2. Sonic Colours: Ultimate - The game's 7/10 material but the music is brilliant. Aquarium Park is a particular highlight but it's all consistently good

S3. Super Monkey Ball: Banana Mania - Never has a chilled score prevented so many thrown controllers. Inside the Whale and the Desert themes are absolutely banging. Between Yakuza, Lost Judgment,VF5 and SMB:BM, RGG's sound team is absolutely on fire this year.

V1. Returnal

V2. 

V3. 

Writing of the Year

W1. Returnal

W2. 

W3. 

Format of the Year

F1. Xbox - Played way less than my PS5 but they deserve it for the efforts they have made in BC. Playing Max Payne 3, Binary Domain and then Max Payne 2 back to back all on one box? Amazing work.

P1. Sega - new shit or old shit, it's all mostly good shit.

3 hours ago, Benny said:

Surprising not many voting for Wildermyth considering how much praise that was getting in its thread. 

Well, it's not out on Switch yet.

Unfortunately, it's one of the few games this year that I really wanted to play but haven't got round to. It does sound great.

Yeah, monoplatform PC games historically do poorly (see, again, Hollow Knight not even placing in the top 100 in its year of release), which is part of why I support being allowed to vote for games when they release on new systems. Wildermyth being both PC-only and in a relatively niche genre was always going to struggle a little! 

In my case it also struggles from coming out in a competitive year, and being a game I first played a year or two ago, so is just missing out on a top 5 slot in my working list: 

Screenshot_20211230-133831_Firefox_copy_810x1886.thumb.jpg.75e05303d2e9841e0f46736d1bbe9053.jpg

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

Yeah, monoplatform PC games historically do poorly (see, again, Hollow Knight not even placing in the top 100 in its year of release), which is part of why I support being allowed to vote for games when they release on new systems. Wildermyth being both PC-only and in a relatively niche genre was always going to struggle a little! 

In my case it also struggles from coming out in a competitive year, and being a game I first played a year or two ago, so is just missing out on a top 5 slot in my working list: 

Screenshot_20211230-133831_Firefox_copy_810x1886.thumb.jpg.75e05303d2e9841e0f46736d1bbe9053.jpg

Woah there, what app is that?

https://ggapp.io/

It's very unfinished (notably, the search is bobbins, it's outright missing some games, and there's a distinct lack of ways to quickly filter/sort games e.g. by played/release date), but I've found it convenient for putting together quick, multiplatform lists and to track and rate games I've been playing. And it (evidently) gives good screenshot.

At some point someone will put out a game logging system as delightfully comprehensive as StoryGraph so I can have the game equivalent is of this as my profile, but for now it'll do!

image.png.edf86b1e1e5125647aa6111bf05115fb.png

(truly, who could have guessed that the slow-paced-but-short book-liker would enjoy walking simulators)

Game of the Year 2021

A1. Bowser's Fury

The whole game is just such a cohesive and joyous event without any filler content. Sure, Bowser's timing isn't always optimal when you're on a climb but that's the only criticism I have.

A2. Metroid Dread

A3. Ghosts 'n Goblins Resurrection

I love the fact that this exists.

A4. PAC-MAN 99

A5. Monster Hunter Rise

Game of the Year (premiered anywhere pre-2021) 

B1. Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker

B2. Tetris Effect: Connected

B3.

Z1. The gaming industry at large.

Z2. The quality of the N64 emulation in the Nintendo online subscription. At this point my hope is for a decompilation of additional N64 games or an FPGA solution and we can finally be done with waiting for Nintendo to provide a sensible solution for playing old games.

Z3.

Sound Design of the Year

S1.

S2.

S3.

V1. Fantasian

This has hand made dioramas for both exterior and interior environments, it makes for a very nice blend of computer imagery together with something made in the real world.

V2.

V3.

Writing of the Year

W1. Deathloop

Love the banter between Julianna and Colt.

W2.

W3.

Format of the Year

F1. Switch OLED

I used docked mode almost exclusively with the previous version but the sturdy build and quality of the screen have been very convincing, so much that I haven't unpacked the new dock!

P1.

Game of the Year

A1. Halo Infinite (Online)

A2. Forza Horizon 5

A3.  Returnal

A4. The Forgotten City

A5. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Z1. Battlefield 2042

Z2. £70 quid PS5 games!!!!

Z3. The reception Back 4 Blood received from the gaming community at large.  Not given a fair chance imo.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Returnal

S2. Halo Infinite

S3. FH5

V1. Forza Horizon 5 

V2. Returnal

V3. Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Writing of the Year

W1. The Forgotten City 

W2. 

W3. 

Format of the Year

F1. Xbox Series Consoles and Gamepass

P1. Insomniac for the back to back release of two cracking games.

Game of the Year

A1. Resident Evil Village

A2. Guardians of the Galaxy

A3.  Death's Door

A4. Returnal

A5. 

Z1. The industry

Z2. Nintendo going into hibernation

Z3.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Resident Evil Village

S2. Returnal

S3.

V1. Guardians of the Galaxy

V2. Resident Evil Village

V3. Returnal

Writing of the Year

W1. Guardians of the Galaxy

W2.

W3.

Format of the Year

F1. PS5 (default, really)

P1. Housemarque

Updated the rules and template to conform to the voting thread. Jist:

Only games with an initial, premier release date within 2021 on ANY platform, and no earlier, are eligible for the 'A' voting category. 

·         ...episodic, early access games, and remakes (ie built from the ground-up in a new engine) are all eligible for 'A' providing they first appeared in 2021 ONLY. 

Re-releases, remasters, release debuts on new consoles (eg MS Flight Sim) and director's cuts are NOT eligible for category 'A'. 

Please vote for these in category 'B'. 

I will PM each person once if they have already voted under the old rules, to share these updated rules. If they haven't adjusted their choices by 8th Jan I will amend them myself ie move their pre-2021 choices into category B and move any lower placed entries up a space accordingly. 

Edit: Oh, and now this has been settled by a vote, no more arguments about the rules in the voting thread or you're getting reported :)

1 minute ago, Qazimod said:

Do we all need to update our voting templates, even if we don't intend to use the B category?

Yes or, ultimately, I'll do it for you. As above, I'm PMing people those who have already voted let them know.

7 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Got a message that I need to move something into category B but not sure what. 

The info is all in the DM. Just follow the link in the DM to the first page that contains the rules and template. 

12 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I literally have no idea which game I chose that needs to move into category B though, I thought they all came out in 2021?

Then leave those blank, that's fine. 

Edit: although didn't you originally want to have Death Stranding Director’s Cut? That can go in a B slot.