IGNORED

The Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2021 - Voting Thread!

Treble

5 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Did you do the votes last year @Treble and was Demon’s Souls on PS5 eligible? 

Demon's Souls was a top to bottom remake whose new graphics/Dualsense/3D audio genuinely changed the game in places. It had also been years since it came out the first time. Hades was our game of the year last year and is exactly the same on Xbox/Playstation as it was on Switch/PC. I don't think it should be eligible but as Treble says it's kinda subjective. It'd be a shame if it knocked a more interesting 2021 game off the list and if it wins I'm asking for a refund for my Supporters money (it won't and I won't) but here we go. 

16 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Demon's Souls was a top to bottom remake whose new graphics/Dualsense/3D audio genuinely changed the game in places. It had also been years since it came out the first time. Hades was our game of the year last year and is exactly the same on Xbox/Playstation as it was on Switch/PC. I don't think it should be eligible but as Treble says it's kinda subjective. It'd be a shame if it knocked a more interesting 2021 game off the list and if it wins I'm asking for a refund for my Supporters money (it won't and I won't) but here we go. 

Oh I’m not arguing that it shouldn’t have been allowed, but surely the rules suggest otherwise.

Re-releases, remasters and director's cuts are NOT eligible, except if they are making a debut on a new console & publisher ecosystem e.g. been on Xbox prior to this year but debuted on Nintendo this year. This is limited to within the last two years of initial release, otherwise we're staring down the barrel of including all manner of retro shovelware finally getting a decades-late PC version

I think the easiest way to do it as to ensure only brand new games get in the ‘game of the year’ category is to have a separate entry for ‘best ports and remasters’ therefore avoiding any confusion or controversy. 

It’s not too late to add one ;)

Game of the Year

A1. The Forgotten City

A2. Guardians of the Galaxy

A3. Death's Door

A4. Hitman 3

A5. Halo Infinite

Biggest Disappointment of the Year

Z1. Halo Infinite

Z2. The Ascent

Z3. Twelve Minutes

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Forza Horizon 5

S2. The Ascent

S3. Halo Infinite

Visual Design of the Year

V1. The Ascent

V2. The Artful Escape

V3. Unpacking

Writing of the Year

W1. The Forgotten City

W2. Psychonauts 2

W3. Unpacking

Format of the Year

F1. Xbox

Publisher or Developer of the Year

P1. Annapurna Interactive

55 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Am I right in thinking Hollow Knight came out on PC a year prior to its release on Switch, when it finally blew up critically and commercially? I know we as a board proceeded to exalt HK on Switch as a GOTY, myself included, but that somehow felt different to folk still banging on about Hades, again.

Hades has already been given its flowers and then some, whereas something like HK was more akin to a sleeper hit. See also Among Us, I guess, maybe? Never played it. Can’t stand the look of it. But still. Yeah.

This is incredibly subjective justification for one game to be allowed and another not which doesn't really hold up to any kind of scrutiny.

30 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Oh I’m not arguing that it shouldn’t have been allowed, but surely the rules suggest otherwise.

I think the easiest way to do it as to ensure only brand new games get in the ‘game of the year’ category is to have a separate entry for ‘best ports and remasters’ therefore avoiding any confusion or controversy. 

It’s not too late to add one ;)

Demon's Souls on PS5 isn't a port or a remaster though, it's a remake. There's a pretty big difference.

This discussion is pretty tedious really. People are scrabbling around to make this some kind of huge issue when it's actually about one game, and a game that has only appeared in a very small handful of GOTY lists so far at that. Seems very much like a couple of people just don't like it that much and are on a warpath.

It couldn't be more obvious that Returnal is going to win, does it really matter that Hades might make a top 20 appearance because some people didn't get to play it on their platform until this year? 

44 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

I think Animal Crossing won last year here. Hades was third I think? Last of Us 2 was second.

1 minute ago, Majora said:

This is incredibly subjective justification for one game to be allowed and another not which doesn't really hold up to any kind of scrutiny.

It all boils down to me loving the ever loving shite out of Hollow Knight forever while Hades and the discourse around it bores the tits off me. I haven’t played it.

17 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

It all boils down to me loving the ever loving shite out of Hollow Knight forever while Hades and the discourse around it bores the tits off me. I haven’t played it.

You should play it, it’s brilliant.

I mean, not Cyberpunk 2077 brilliant obviously, but for a simple game it’s very good.

11 minutes ago, Down by Law said:

Can I vote for Like A Dragon? I got the native PS5 version which came out in March I think. 

Unfortunately not, sorry. 

Spoiler

Re-releases, remasters and director's cuts are NOT eligible, except if they are making a debut on a new console AND publisher ecosystem e.g. been on Xbox prior to this year but debuted on Nintendo this year. This is limited to within the last two years of initial release, otherwise we're staring down the barrel of including all manner of retro shovelware finally getting a decades-late [insert platform here] version

39 minutes ago, Majora said:

Demon's Souls on PS5 isn't a port or a remaster though, it's a remake. There's a pretty big difference.

This discussion is pretty tedious really. People are scrabbling around to make this some kind of huge issue when it's actually about one game, and a game that has only appeared in a very small handful of GOTY lists so far at that. Seems very much like a couple of people just don't like it that much and are on a warpath.

It couldn't be more obvious that Returnal is going to win, does it really matter that Hades might make a top 20 appearance because some people didn't get to play it on their platform until this year? 

It’s not just about one game and there are grey areas, I mean Resident Evil 4 isn’t a remake, but it’s now in VR, should that be allowed, and so on. 

Will fill in details later

Game of the Year

A1. Rail Route

This is an amazing game that whilst still in early access has given me hours, upon hours of enjoyment. It's simple design allows you to understand the core mechanics and the way it simplifies the city building / tycoon elements to create an exceptionally focussed system is incredible. You can build some really complex systems too, that on first glance look to be impossible. Building out a fully automated train system is one of those gaming moments that makes you feel you accomplished something special. 

A2. Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon

Late release, but it leapt into my top 5. A mix of puzzle and rogue that blends together perfectly. Whilst the core gameplay loop is excellent, it is the fact you can tailor the game to your liking without being punished. Essentially playing as a full roguelite or a puzzle game. It is so well balanced and the addition of a daily challenge means this is going to be in my constant rotation along with the likes of Spelunky and Issac.

A3. Disco Elysium

Exceptional in every sense. From my point of view, the full voice acting is a vital accessibility addition. I am only a little way through, but I am engrossed. One I like to settle back with at a weekenbd and unwind as my story develops.

A4. Ekstase

Not wanting to go gaming hipster on you all, but you've probably never heard of this before. However you really should have. If you like(d) Tetris, Lumines. Columns, Puzzle Fighter, etc then this should be on your list. It is a mix of Tetris and Lumines and it is a joy to play. It has been on Itch.io for a while, but recently got a Switch release. (Steam may have been 2021 too). What is lovely about this is the accessibility options too, that help those wioth visual and hearing impairments. The goal from the developer is to make this completely playable when fully blind. So kudos there too.

A5. Circuit Superstars

This was actually 8th in my GotY list for MHG, but Brexit and all that. However Circuit Superstars is a cracking game that seems to be improving all the time. The recent addition of Stock Cars is welcome and adds something a bit different. However, I love just time trialling and trying to improve at my own pace. So well presented and a joy to play.

Game of the Year (premiered anywhere pre-2021) 

B1. Tetris Effect Connected

I mean, it's Tetris, the only surprise is that it isn't at number one again. This time back to where Tetris belongs, on a Nintendo handheld. Crossplay with other systems is a bonus. Headphones on and lose chunks of your existence to this game.

B2. Binding of Issac: Repentance

B3. Spelunky 2

Z1. Activision Blizzard abuse

Z2. Ubisoft continuing to protect abusers

Z3. State of the AAA scene, with some of the most anticipated titles being shamel;ess cash grabs or broken.

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Tetris Effect Connected

S2. Disco Elysium

S3. Chenobylite

V1. Tetris Effect Connected

V2. Rail Route

V3. Mini Motorways

Writing of the Year

W1. Disco Elysium

W2. TOEM

W3.The Fermi Paradox

Format of the Year

F1. PC

P1. Raw Fury

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

A5. Ekstase

Not wanting to go gaming hipster on you all, but you've probably never heard of this before. However you really should have. If you like(d) Tetris, Lumines. Columns, Puzzle Fighter, etc then this should be on your list. It is a mix of Tetris and Lumines and it is a joy to play. It has been on Itch.io for a while, but recently got a Switch release. (Steam may have been 2021 too). What is lovely about this is the accessibility options too, that help those wioth visual and hearing impairments. The goal from the developer is to make this completely playable when fully blind. So kudos there too.

That sounds like the perfect game for me to lose hours to, it looks so good

At the same time I’m amazed they can get away with (for lack of a better term) such a rip off of the other two games.  Glad they did, looks awesome.

Rail Route also seems like fun.

Just now, The Bag said:

That sounds like the perfect game for me to lose hours to, it looks so good

At the same time I’m amazed they can get away with (for lack of a better term) such a rip off of the other two games.  Glad they did, looks awesome.

Rail Route also seems like fun.

I would say it feels more inspired by and wearing its inspiration on its sleeve. It feels fresh rather than a 'rip off' to me.

26 minutes ago, bradigor said:

I would say it feels more inspired by and wearing its inspiration on its sleeve. It feels fresh rather than a 'rip off' to me.

that’s fair, I’m just judging it from the trailer.  I really don’t mean it as negatively as that phrase comes across, it’s extremely my thing.  I’ll be picking it up on Switch later.

5 minutes ago, The Bag said:

that’s fair, I’m just judging it from the trailer.  I really don’t mean it as negatively as that phrase comes across, it’s extremely my thing.  I’ll be picking it up on Switch later.

You won't regret it 

Just for absolute clarity, Hades was third in the GotY last year. Last of Us 2 picked up the silver and Animal Crossing got the big prize. 

Really quite upset the forum doesn't have the results etched into their brain like I do. Shame on you. 

3 hours ago, Treble said:

Unfortunately not, sorry. 

Hide contents

Re-releases, remasters and director's cuts are NOT eligible, except if they are making a debut on a new console AND publisher ecosystem e.g. been on Xbox prior to this year but debuted on Nintendo this year. This is limited to within the last two years of initial release, otherwise we're staring down the barrel of including all manner of retro shovelware finally getting a decades-late [insert platform here] version

…but it is making its debut on the PS5. It’s a new native version. 

Just now, Stanley said:

Yeah but the PS4 version is playable on PS5, so it’s not on a new console eco system.

Is this not all completely arbitrary made up rules? 

The PS5 version was released this March in its own box and everything, if you buy physical. A distinctly different app and it’s… not allowed? 

54 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

…but it is making its debut on the PS5. It’s a new native version. 

Well, no. Its the same game engine with some bells 'n whistles, on the same ecosystem. It's categorically outside the rules, so... 

The thing about rules is, they tend to be arbitrary and "made up". Treble was pretty clear in their first post about how the rules work, and you may not like them but, well, Treble's the one running the show! 

Now, if you want to run your own GOTY thread with its own rules there's nothing stopping you! GOTY League and GOTY Union, as it were.

The rules are arbitrary and fucked because let’s face it, it’s to accommodate people who only played Hades because it was free on Gamepass. By following the debut to new audience rules, I’m putting in 2 out of 5 as my GOTY because I love them so much even though I’ve not touched them on PC.

Game of the Year

A1. Returnal

A2. Days Gone  Guardians of the Galaxy

A3. Forza 5

A4. Halo Infinite

A5.  Final Fantasy Remake Outriders

Rereleases of the year

B1. Death Stranding DC

B2. Yakuza Like A Dragon

B3. Hades

Z1. Not the creeps at the games companies, animals will always be animals. It’s the complete lack of consequences that’s disappointing. 

Z2. PS5 output apart from Returnal. Really barely touched the beautiful machine this year.

Z3. The second half of Halo Infinite after the excitement wears off

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Returnal

S2. Radiohead game 

S3. Outriders 

V1. Returnal

V2. Forza 5

V3. The Ascent

Writing of the Year

W1. Guardians of the Galaxy

W2. Hades (Xbox edition) Returnal

W3. The Grunt comms officer in Halo infinite and the Grunt comms officer only.

Format of the Year

F1. Xbox (ps5 had Returnal but Xbox had a near constant stream of Gamepass 7/10s to keep going all year)

P1. Housemarque 

Game of the Year: Returnal. Never expected to like it, as the only Roguelike/ Roguelite I've played is Diablo III which I didn't think much of. Returnal just blew me away. The sound design, atmosphere, environmental design hits me right in the sci-fi balls, but honestly the reason it's my GOTY is because of the fluidity of the movement and platforming that borders on perfection. I'm big into how it feels to control characters in games (one of the reasons I can't play GTA anymore) and I could play Returnal for the rest of my life with no combat whatsoever, I'd be perfectly satisfied just bouncing around platforming on an alien planet. Especially after remapping jump to L1, dash to R1, and melee to R3.

Biggest Disappointment: Halo Unity. Went over to my brother in law's house to play this last night as we have beaten all the Halo games on splitscreen coop. There is no split screen coop. In a game that was in large part made famous and successful by split screen coop and multiplayer. What the fuck? Also, having played other games with good physics, controlling Mast3r cheef feels like you're controlling a big piece of lead with springs on the bottom. It just sucks to run around and shoot things tbh. Plus, it's become an open-world Ubisofty Shadow of Mordory map-icon-checklist heap of shit and I'm mad about it.

If I could make one suggestion to fix the voting for old games issue: just also make any game that has previously hit the top 20 list ineligible. That way if games missed out because not enough people played them still get another fair chance when released on a new format, and Hades (for example, or Disco Elysium) would not be able to be voted for again as it already got a placing and a review etc. Everyone is happy.

If people must express their joy for a previous winner just put a note in your post and some thoughts. Just listing it is boring.

Also: use the voting template! Even if you don't fill it all in it will make Treble's life easier. People who didn't use it when I was collating them didn't get their votes counted because it was was a pain in the ass to filter through it. And because my Reich was strict, and suffered no expression.