IGNORED

The Rllmuk Game of the Year Awards 2021 - Voting Thread!

Treble

9 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

I've just added an honourable mentions list in my post, below the full Awards list, for the benefit of thread readers. I assume that's not a problem, but if it is, just let me know.

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's list, so I appreciate stuff like this. Already have a few games to try. For a 'weak' year, it's got such variety. Games like Forza, Deathloop and Halo wouldn't look out of place in my GOTY list, but there's just too much stuff. 

20 hours ago, joemul said:

Wow - i can't recall Samus ever controlling better than in Dread. Great, interesting list otherwise though.

Cheers!

My main gripes with the controls is that I dislike being forced into using the analogue stick for 2D movement, found aiming and movement on the same stick a little awkward (why they just ignored the right stick I'll never know), and found there were too many button combinations for Samus' various abilities. I would take GBA Samus over that any day!

Ooh bugger, better actually vote! Don't worry, I've severely reprimanded myself for my tardiness. Will add commentary tomorrow!

Game of the Year 2021

A1. Metroid Dread

A2. Bravely Default 2

A3. Halo Infinite

A4. Lone Echo 2

A5. Shovel Knight Pocket Dungeon

Game of the Year (premiered anywhere pre-2021) 

B1. Microsoft Flight Simulator

B2. Quake

B3. Tetris Effect: Connected

Biggest Disappointment of the Year

Z1. The hideous state of publisher toxicity

Z2. Deathloop

Z3. 

Sound Design of the Year

S1. Metroid Dread

S2. Omno

S3. Halo Infinite

Visual Design of the Year

V1. Guilty Gear Strive

V2. Sable

V3. Scarlet Nexus

Writing of the Year

W1. Lone Echo 2

W2. Unpacking

W3. 

Format of the Year

F1. Xbox

Publisher or Developer of the Year

P1. Microsoft

Wildermyth - yeah that’d be worth a writing award: sketching out actual characters procedurally and giving them arcs is pretty special. Can’t see how it’d be fun to play without a mouse though - perhaps they’ll do a touchscreen version on switch?

Presumably 'writing' isn't literally which one had the best script, more like overall storytelling or narrative design. Returnal, for example, is a great bit of videogame storytelling, regardless of whether it has good words or not.

13 hours ago, footle said:

Wildermyth - yeah that’d be worth a writing award: sketching out actual characters procedurally and giving them arcs is pretty special. Can’t see how it’d be fun to play without a mouse though - perhaps they’ll do a touchscreen version on switch?

Sorry, I've been meaning to drop a note on this:

Wildermyth is only eligible for category B, i.e. a release from a previous year that has a full release on some platforms this year. 

Rule:

Spoiler

·         ...episodic, early access games, and remakes (ie built from the ground-up in a new engine) are all eligible providing they first appeared in 2021 ONLY. 

This means it's not eligible for categories A, S, V or W.

Apologies, as I realise now it's not clear in the rules around B category games, i.e. that just because they can be in contention in B, doesn't mean they are eligible for any other category. 

I think Wildermyth should get representation though, so if you (or anyone) like to write a few paragraphs on it, i'll make sure it gets published as a special mention!

4 minutes ago, Treble said:

Sorry, I've been meaning to drop a note on this:

Wildermyth is only eligible for category B, i.e. a release from a previous year that has a full release on some platforms this year. 

Rule:

Reveal hidden contents

·         ...episodic, early access games, and remakes (ie built from the ground-up in a new engine) are all eligible providing they first appeared in 2021 ONLY. 

This means it's not eligible for categories A, S, V or W.

Apologies, as I realise now it's not clear in the rules around B category games, i.e. that just because they can be in contention in B, doesn't mean they are eligible for any other category. 

I think Wildermyth should get representation though, so if you (or anyone) like to write a few paragraphs on it, i'll make sure it gets published as a special mention!

Are you sure about that? It's been in early access for ages but the official full release was this year.

Official releases were always what people have gone with for awards like this, otherwise a whole load of games people have voted for would not be eligible in this or previous years.

That means my vote for Gloomhaven as GoTY for example would not be eligible if that was the case, as it was officially released this year but an early access version existed before that. Hades also would never have got so high in previous awards if previously early access games were not eligible in the year they actually released officially in.

I assumed the whole point of B category was so people could bung the not exactly official 2021 releases in there like stuff that entered early access in 2021 or games which have come out on new platforms. or remakes. Not official releases, as otherwise it's literally impossible to determine what goes where.

For the purposes of these votes, I would say "early access" should be ignored in all cases, as I don't thnk anyone has actually voted for anything that came out in early access in 2021 regardless.

Just go by official release date and leave cat B for the remakes, rereleases and remasters that came out this year.

Widermyth and Gloomhaven and whatever others are never going to be featured any year if it's not this one, as this is the year of their official release. The Forgotten City started life as a mod even, but officially released this year. All of these are eligible for going in the GoTY categories as well as Writing etc IMO.

They would not have come up in previous years as no-one had actually played them then, so it would seem odd to me to exclude them from all categories this year arbitrarily.

On the plus side, this ruling means that Elden Ring should only reasonably be allowed as a Category B entry next year, what with its network test* having been this year. Lucky for Halo Infinite that its early access public beta came in the same year as its ultimate release. Lucky for Inscryption too that its pre-release version is a discrete release with a different name and so the game wasn't technically in early access from 2019 onwards. What a brave new future the Hades-dislikers have voted for!

* which is, after all, simply Big Budget language for 'early access'

2 hours ago, Benny said:

For the purposes of these votes, I would say "early access" should be ignored in all cases, as I don't thnk anyone has actually voted for anything that came out in early access in 2021 regardless.

Just go by official release date and leave cat B for the remakes, rereleases and remasters that came out this year.

Widermyth and Gloomhaven and whatever others are never going to be featured any year if it's not this one, as this is the year of their official release. The Forgotten City started life as a mod even, but officially released this year. All of these are eligible for going in the GoTY categories as well as Writing etc IMO.

They would not have come up in previous years as no-one had actually played them then, so it would seem odd to me to exclude them from all categories this year arbitrarily.

All rules are arbitrary. I had to change the entire system once because of an arbitrary judgement by a handful of people :)

The rules are clear and even if I agree with you, I'm not changing them. I mean, for full transparency, that decision is helped by the fact that changing them wouldn't move the needle on either Wildermyth or Gloomhaven in ANY category. Not unless we started going into top twenties in the non-A categories. And even then... 

So, as the named games wouldn't have appeared in main lists anyway then please, please, please do write in with special mentions and I'll make sure they are all given an adequate spotlight. 

47 minutes ago, Wiper said:

* which is, after all, simply Big Budget language for 'early access'

Lol, no. As someone who played the Halo Infinite online beta, I can assure you it wasn't a stealth release of a 90% complete campaign.

Online beta tests are to demonstrate technical stability. An early access game is usually the entire game (or at least the majority of it) with bugs present.

Then we'd be saying Hades shouldn't have got into the awards last year as it had been in early access long before anyone had heard of it...

Congrats Hades haters, guess it was null and void in 2020 after all!

Anyway, all that really does is makes early access game unlikely to ever feature in an awards list in any year. But those are the rules, so I'm out!

Resetera are being way more liberal and laid back about what qualifies for their GOTY awards than us. Resetera! If they are more laid back than us about basically anything then it's time to worry.

I mean, their rules seem perfectly reasonable to me

All playable games released in 2021 are eligible for GOTY and Genre Award consideration, in addition to Platform Award and Publisher Award consideration. No distinction is made between "new" releases and re-releases, ports, etc. If a port or re-release earns enough votes to make the list, that result will be respected. In summary:

Playable content released this year is eligible. This includes new games, remasters, ports, and so on.

DLC, including expansion packs, are eligible to be voted on as long as it's playable. Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers is eligible. Horse Armor is not.

Episodes of games released this year are eligible.

BuT what iF People KeEp VotiNG For OCArina Of tImE?!

It doesn't matter what rules would have been, or should have been, changed. Paper Mario The Origami King was never getting in anyhow. <_<

Curse me for not buying and playing it in 2020.:doh:

If I was Treble, now that all votes and edits are closed, I'd use the Resetera rules and sneakily add A1-5 and B1-5 together so that we actually all did top 10s without knowing and the Bs just have a lower weighting.

Then I'd put both of the lists into the final GotY list all as one.

The gnashing of teeth would be immense.

But this is why I can't do it anymore. They only let me out on Wednesdays

23 minutes ago, Benny said:

Then we'd be saying Hades shouldn't have got into the awards last year as it had been in early access long before anyone had heard of it...

Congrats Hades haters, guess it was null and void in 2020 after all!

Anyway, all that really does is makes early access game unlikely to ever feature in an awards list in any year. But those are the rules, so I'm out!

I mean... I can barely keep up with the irony of all this. Under the first set of rules, Hades would have just been in normal GOTY contention, but a bunch of vocal people forced my hand to change it to another system that I declared I would abide by even if I disagreed.

I said there would be no more changes and that the 'popular' decision was final. I also said that there should be NO more arguments about the rules in here. And yet, here we are. Put yourself in my shoes for a minute, eh? You've been through this process before.

Continuous arguments are pointless; and criticism that contains phrases beginning 'I think...' and the word 'arbitrary' are a slippery slope into a pit of negativity that I worked really, really hard to avoid.

Three facts on this:

1) No doubt the rules will change next year, so this:

Anyway, all that really does is makes early access game unlikely to ever feature in an awards list in any year.

...is probably moot. 

2) Also, every early access game released in 2021 that people voted has representation in category B and is not being ignored

3) Additionally, you can write-in a special mention for any game you like and I will publish it. So if you are, in fact, the single solitary voter for a game in B, or even A, you can get a full post dedicated to your candidate if you want!

15 minutes ago, Majora said:

Resetera are being way more liberal and laid back about what qualifies for their GOTY awards than us. Resetera! If they are more laid back than us about basically anything then it's time to worry.

I mean, their rules seem perfectly reasonable to me

BuT what iF People KeEp VotiNG For OCArina Of tImE?!

If we're doing displaced CAPS to emphasise the ludicrous of the situation, then I'll add:

ThiS iS wHaT tHE pUbLiC vOTeD fOR!!!

9 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Anyway who wants to organise the GOTY next year? I'd imagine once all this is done Treble's off to chill out on that beach from the end of Shawshank with Morgan Freeman. 

Oh, chosen undead...

10 minutes ago, Treble said:

Put yourself in my shoes for a minute, eh? You've been through this process before.

I have, that's why I'm now on Valium. The best advice I could say from it is to make the list however you want and ignore any of the people moaning. Ignore any of the "popular" decisions. Rule with an iron fist. Do it *your* way.

18 minutes ago, Treble said:

3) Additionally, you can write-in a special mention for any game you like and I will publish it. So if you are, in fact, the single solitary voter for a game in B, or even A, you can get a full post dedicated to your candidate if you want!

I don't envy you honestly, hope you're taking my posts in the spirit of good natured poking in the way they're intended! It's all a bit of argy bargy really

I'd nominate Gloomhaven for special mention just because I don't think anyone else voted for it at all and seeing as everyone definitely hates board games I want them to suffer.

17 hours ago, Treble said:

So the votes are all in and independently verified added-up on a Casio, and we're good to go.

All I need to do now is.... 

...*sigh*...

produce content

Expect the first categories to appear tomorrow!

STOP THE COUNT