EDGE #367 - Elden Ring

Keyboard Koala

I'm not sure why the Halo Infinite score would be surprising to anyone. It deserves that for the multiplayer alone. Which is free.

Campaign is more polarising, but whether that means it should bring down the overall score or not is up for debate.

6 minutes ago, Benny said:

I'm not sure why the Halo Infinite score would be surprising to anyone. It deserves that for the multiplayer alone. Which is free.

Campaign is more polarising, but whether that means it should bring down the overall score or not is up for debate.

I’m not surprised by it in the slightest. I just wrongly thought they’d all had 9s or 10s in the past.

I’m sure if they’d have achieved their original vision for this it would have scored higher, but the repetitive environments, badly judged boss battles and short campaign for an open world game (loosely speaking) have knocked the score down. It deserves an 8 for the combat alone in my eyes.

I need to have a read of the review to see what they made of it. I just need to get over this covid first.

25 minutes ago, Benny said:

It shouldn't and I say that as someone who doesn't give a shit about mp. Halo 2 deserved a 9 for its mp alone. The review text is there to note that the campaign isn't quite as good. A good example of why one should read the actual review text instead of drawing conclusions from only the number at the end :)

Spoiler

Halo Infinite - 8

Solar Ash - 7

BF 2042 - 6

The Gunk - 7

Fights in tight spaces - 6

Heavenly Bodies - 7

Space World Organ Trading Simulator - 6

Clockwork Aquario - 6

Dungeon Encounters - 9

The Eternal Cylinder - 7

Sherlock Holmes - Chapter 1  - 4

Unsighted - 8

Cruis'n Blast - 6 (confirmed GOAT)

Dap - 6

Toem - 7

Scores on the doors above...

Returnal got a bit of an Edge shafting. Not mentioned in the Best Audio Design category, unlike Sable, you what mate? Then only 9th in the year’s top 10, beaten by derivative sequels like FH5, and tedious wankery like Deathloop. The ongoing love-fest for that is totally mindboggling.

Still Returnal wasn’t shafted as hard as Dread, which wasn’t in the top 10, and barely made the best Nintendo game list, only because, apparently, of the positive inclusion of the EMMIs.

Edge gonna Edge.

No copy here yet, alas. Very interested to see what Edge disliked so much about the new Sherlock game - I'd heard a lot of good things. And a little sad to see Unsighted score only an 8, but glad to see it covered at least, even if belatedly! 

I’ve read the Miyazaki piece and all the box-outs, and pleasant as it is to read his thoughts, there wasn’t a single ‘ooh’ moment for me, and nothing I didn’t already know from all the other media already out there. Certainly no spoilers AFAICT. He even goes out of his way to say he’s avoiding spoilers.

I’m interested to hear what bits others found exciting, as I don’t believe there was anything ‘exclusive’ or revelatory in there about the game at all.

Damn fine cover though, and a hint of a few nice bits of concept art.

1 hour ago, jonamok said:

I’m interested to hear what bits others found exciting, as I don’t believe there was anything ‘exclusive’ or revelatory in there about the game at all.

I like that there was nothing really about 'the game' in there, and it was more interesting to read stuff about the development, and some of the ways they've approached things.  

Plus I got hype af when Michael Zaki was all like 'I've basically made my ultimate game' :omg:

8 hours ago, Jamie John said:

And their game of the year goes to 

Hide contents

fucking Deathloop. What is it with this game that I don't get? It's so fucking frustrating to see it topping GotY lists. I feel like I'm missing some secret that makes Arkane games such critical darlings. I know I'm not alone with being underwhelmed by this game - it's popping up regularly in the Disappointed Games of 2021 thread - so what is it that we're apparently overlooking?

I'm with you, nothing about their GOTY choice grabbed me, let alone made me even consider it a GOTY contender, especially in a year in which the actual GOTY will end up being as fondly a remembered, and highly rated, a platform exclusive as Bloodborne is. I did quite enjoy what I played of the first Dishonoured but bounced off the second so may well just not be a fan of Arkane's thing.

Actual real world GOTY being, of course (spoiler'd so as to not give away that is not the (rightful) winner): 

Spoiler

Returnal.

4 hours ago, jonamok said:

Returnal got a bit of an Edge shafting. Not mentioned in the Best Audio Design category, unlike Sable, you what mate?

I can't comment on Returnal, but Sable has some really distinctive sound design and a great score. It deserves a mention.

After being really excited for Jett: The Far Shore and then being a bit deflated by all the average reviews, this issue has reignited my interest with the nods it’s received in the awards.

I also wasn’t aware they gave it an 8 when they reviewed it.

14 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

After being really excited for Jett: The Far Shore and then being a bit deflated by all the average reviews, this issue has reignited my interest with the nods it’s received in the awards.

I also wasn’t aware they gave it an 8 when they reviewed it.

Urgh be prepared. I really wanted to like it but the game makes it really tough. Apparently if you push through and master the controls it becomes something special but I’ve not managed to yet. Planning to circle back round to it at some point over the holidays.

17 minutes ago, Let us measure said:

Thanks to Edge for making a big deal of Dungeon Encounters (4th best game of the year?!). I'd not even heard of it, but their praise and the game's barebones aesthetic had me downloading this afternoon. Excited to try it out tonight!

It was part of the last big Nintendo direct, it made zero impact on the forum as it was in a thread full of usual posts saying “that was shit, where is Zelda?!” …or something 

15 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It was part of the last big Nintendo direct, it made zero impact on the forum as it was in a thread full of usual posts saying “that was shit, where is Zelda?!” …or something 

It was announced as part of Squares TGS stream which happened a week after the last big Nintendo Direct.