IGNORED

Mr Inbetween - Disney Plus - Watch it NOW!

Ork1927

Well that's the whole thing wrapped up for me now. Not an ounce of fat on this. Although it can be compared to Gilligan, Tarrantino, Chase, it really does stand on its own with a brilliant antipodean flavour.

Has anyone seen The Magician?

2 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Has anyone seen The Magician?

No, but I did think it was funny when the guy Ray goes to placate regarding his mate’s gambling debt refers to him as the magician when talking to the bodyguard.

Also, the actor who plays Ray gave up acting/writing etc for a while when his career was floundering… and became a taxi driver!

2 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

No, but I did think it was funny when the guy Ray goes to placate regarding his mate’s gambling debt refers to him as the magician when talking to the bodyguard.

Also, the actor who plays Ray gave up acting/writing etc for a while when his career was floundering… and became a taxi driver!

That's a great fact. After watching the show I also read that Helen Mirren recommended Scott Ryan to a Hollywood agent after loving the show. He's now been signed up and is exploring several movie ideas.

Hopefully we will see more of his work in the near future.

20 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

Binged the first season, great stuff. Dave from the last two eps played Ras Al Ghul in Arrow! It was bugging me were I recognised his face from. 

Ha, I clocked him straight awayn

Just watched all 3 series over the last 10 days. Fab stuff and no fluff.

Fair play to all involved as it’s zings by, it dealt with lots of subjects really well even with the lack of time it spent on them.

One thing though…

Spoiler

I don’t get why Ray spared Dave during episode s1e5. Considering how key he is in several later episodes it just seems by chance that he lets him go, having only just met him and Dave was delivering Ray to get killed.

Amazing final scene

Spoiler

had me smiling along with Ray. Oh boys... You have no idea. :D

Great series, agree with nearly everything in the thread. I also really liked the anger management therapy scenes, especially the first one. 

And prison napalm!

and and and... So many great moments. So much darkness too, toys anyone? Fuuuuuck.

Very, very good.

2 hours ago, Robsk1 said:

One thing though…

Reveal hidden contents

I don’t get why Ray spared Dave during episode s1e5. Considering how key he is in several later episodes it just seems by chance that he lets him go, having only just met him and Dave was delivering Ray to get killed.

On that...

Spoiler

Dave was just hired for the job of bringing Ray in. And with no-one left to try and kill Ray after the grenade in the safe went off, there was no reason to kill Dave, and that of course paid off in the future. Well, for Ray at least ... poor Dave!

We're trying to not binge this so sticking at an episode a night to enjoy it.

I love the pared back nature of it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't create proper deep characters.

I used to work with US offices so know what a bunch of windbags they are, so many words but rarely anything actually said. Take the Morning Show on Apple, people vomited hundreds of words at each other every episode but the characters never showed as much as Ray did in this early on in season 2 sat by a fire, sipping a beer, talking to his girlfriend about his childhood. 

8 hours ago, Thor said:

On that...

Hide contents

Dave was just hired for the job of bringing Ray in. And with no-one left to try and kill Ray after the grenade in the safe went off, there was no reason to kill Dave, and that of course paid off in the future. Well, for Ray at least ... poor Dave!

Spoiler

Plus, Ray was aware that he was expecting his first child. 

This was amazing. I can't believe it was his first major acting gig (along with the movie that I haven't seen) I'll definitely be re-watching it at some point but can't wait to see what he does next. 

Really enjoyed this, thanks for the recommendation! 

Completely compelling, suprisingly emotional and pretty damn tense in places. 

I found the sudden cuts jarring initially and felt like I was missing out on scenes i would have liked to have seen finished. In the end I came round to it as a really effective technique.

I went back and watched the Magician afterwards, Ill be honest it just feels like a Pilot for the show. It was ok but a step down from the series.

12 hours ago, Robsk1 said:

Just watched all 3 series over the last 10 days. Fab stuff and no fluff.

Fair play to all involved as it’s zings by, it dealt with lots of subjects really well even with the lack of time it spent on them.

One thing though…

Hide contents

Spoiler

Because he’s about to become a dad, I guess. 

7 hours ago, Padaxes said:

Really enjoyed this, thanks for the recommendation! 

Completely compelling, suprisingly emotional and pretty damn tense in places. 

I found the sudden cuts jarring initially and felt like I was missing out on scenes i would have liked to have seen finished. In the end I came round to it as a really effective technique.

I went back and watched the Magician afterwards, Ill be honest it just feels like a Pilot for the show. It was ok but a step down from the series.

Yeah I liked this, other shows would have had Ray's mates

Spoiler

break up

as a thing that had to be talked about but here it was shown in a much more creative and interesting way.

On 09/01/2022 at 23:59, Thor said:

On that...

Hide contents

I felt that it was because they're both professionals. No hard feelings, just business. Dave hadn't been a dick, hadn't been rude or disrespectful and now that the job was over and there was no reason to fight anymore then they just go their own ways and no harm done. It didn't hurt that Dave had just become a dad either but I don't think that was the main reason.

Finished this last night. Some of the scenes with his brother hit me quite hard. Just simple stuff like...

Spoiler

when he falls between the wall and toilet and gets stuck, and Ray finds him and helps him up. Recently, I've been in similar situations with my dad who has Parkinsons, having to help him off the floor in the same way. That it was played out in such a matter-of-fact way is what really hit me hard. No melodrama, it's just... you just get on with it because you love them. Fuck, it's made me well up again.

On top of that, it has some great fucking action!! My mum's currently watching it and loving it as well.

3 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Finished this last night. Some of the scenes with his brother hit me quite hard. Just simple stuff like...

Reveal hidden contents

when he falls between the wall and toilet and gets stuck, and Ray finds him and helps him up. Recently, I've been in similar situations with my dad who has Parkinsons, having to help him off the floor in the same way. That it was played out in such a matter-of-fact way is what really hit me hard. No melodrama, it's just... you just get on with it because you love them. Fuck, it's made me well up again.

On top of that, it has some great fucking action!! My mum's currently watching it and loving it as well.

Yeah that's one of the scenes that had me in tears. It's so well acted and real.  

Finished last night and loved every minute of it, just felt like something fresh and nice to see a different take on this sort of thing. It wasn't just about the criminal stuff though, the actual people and relationships felt so much better drawn than in most shows.

Sad it's over but also think it's the right call to stop leaving people wanting more, sure there are more scrapes or rehashes of what had already been done but good to go out at the top like that. 

On that finale

Spoiler

my take was doesn't matter if they were a couple of local jokers out to get some kicks beating up a cabbie or a couple of hired goons (my feeling was the casting made them look like local idiots rather than  pros sent after Ray)- him smiling like that and one of them shouting 'run' as the last word means he didn't get whacked and it didn't end well for them.

@Gottersre the ending

Spoiler

I thought that too initially but the “run” line is a vocal from the song that cuts in right at the end, not from the goons.   Agree that they were about to experience a chat shit get banged moment!

Another devotee to the church here. I haven't quite finished it - a few episodes of S3 left, but burned through the whole lot in the past 10 days. It's just brilliant. Far and away surpassed all my expectations. It's one of those shows that is incredibly hard to follow up with any other drama, annoyingly (any suggestions for when I'm done?).