IGNORED

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - May 2022

Doctor Shark

On 26/04/2022 at 21:18, Indy @ S.E. said:

New short trailer all but confirms the big rumour.

Going to watch with the boy in 4DX, this should make pretty good use of 3D hopefully.

What big rumour is left at this point?

There’s a bunch of TV spots that reveal a fair bit of stuff or as said make things explicit that you deffo want to avoid if you want to go in fresh.  Given how much they have said about not spoiling things for some of the other big releases like Endgame or even the Wandavision finale, it seems odd theyve whacked these in.

there are 2 main bits regarding the largest bits - one confirming something from the initial trailer

Spoiler

We see Mordo say “the Illuminati will see you now, and see professor Xs wheelchair.  No shot of Stewarts face, but we’ve heard the voice to know it’s him

the second is something that apparently was teased if you looked at the poster closely enough and spotted something in one of the shards but confirms another character appearance that hadn’t been previously (that I know of anyway)

Spoiler

Captain Carter is shown fighting Wanda with someone who appears to be Monica Rambeau powered up similar to Captain Marvel, who she has been in the comics.

its possible there’s still a load of surprises or they’re doing some misdirection like they have in the past.  These aren’t (to me) things that would ruin the film knowing it going in or anything but there’s definitely outlets on Twitter and the like who aren’t even attempting to hide these and are plastering gifs with the spoiler in text so it’s hard to avoid (which is how I saw them). So if you do want to avoid as much as possible before seeing, just be a bit warned that it can be a bit easy to accidentally come across, especially on Twitter where the trending tab just outright spoils it too

6 hours ago, George Clooney said:

There’s a bunch of TV spots that reveal a fair bit of stuff or as said make things explicit that you deffo want to avoid if you want to go in fresh.  Given how much they have said about not spoiling things for some of the other big releases like Endgame or even the Wandavision finale, it seems odd theyve whacked these in.

there are 2 main bits regarding the largest bits - one confirming something from the initial trailer

Hide contents

We see Mordo say “the Illuminati will see you now, and see professor Xs wheelchair.  No shot of Stewarts face, but we’ve heard the voice to know it’s him

the second is something that apparently was teased if you looked at the poster closely enough and spotted something in one of the shards but confirms another character appearance that hadn’t been previously (that I know of anyway)

Hide contents

Captain Carter is shown fighting Wanda with someone who appears to be Monica Rambeau powered up similar to Captain Marvel, who she has been in the comics.

its possible there’s still a load of surprises or they’re doing some misdirection like they have in the past.  These aren’t (to me) things that would ruin the film knowing it going in or anything but there’s definitely outlets on Twitter and the like who aren’t even attempting to hide these and are plastering gifs with the spoiler in text so it’s hard to avoid (which is how I saw them). So if you do want to avoid as much as possible before seeing, just be a bit warned that it can be a bit easy to accidentally come across, especially on Twitter where the trending tab just outright spoils it too

I didn't think any of this was a surprise though? At least, not a surprise in the last few weeks.

My local Odeon are breaking out the 3D specs after a long absence. Very much a minority of showings though. 4 out of 23 showings on opening day. The other cinema don't seem to be bothering with 3D at all. Not that I'll be bothering with 3D either.

On 29/04/2022 at 16:46, footle said:

It does seem like What If is required watching before this?

What If is technically outside the MCU

I would have thought that Loki and/or Wandavision are more relevant, though I don't think there's really been any required viewing for any of the MCU movies. I can't imagine a very high proportion of the audience are being exhaustive with the full slate of content and they're not going to alienate them for the tentpole releases.

I read an article earlier that said Marvel have recommended anyone planning to see this watches the original Dr Strange, Wandavision, Spidey No Way Home and What If. 

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Yes literally it is. But in the context of the MCU and the introduction of the Multiverse. No it's not. 

All bets are off anything can now happen. 

And it's the right thing to do IMO especially this early on in the existence of the first cinematic universe that actually works and continues to evolve.  

The DC movies have worked this out too recently.

On 30/04/2022 at 20:05, hmm said:

... though I don't think there's really been any required viewing for any of the MCU movies. 

Yeah, watching Endgame without seeing any of the other Marvel movies will make perfect sense. :coffee:

You could explain what anyone needs to know before watching Endgame in about 30s.

Watching everything will let you appreciate the subtleties, and some jokes and so on, but it's completely nonessential, by design.

13 hours ago, deKay said:

They're not, all part of the multiverse. Characters from at least two different episodes of What If have turned up in the trailers so far.

Wow, stay off any socials if you don't want to be spoiled. Not even looking out for it but discord has ruined one thing for me in a 3D thread of all things. 

Yeah the new trailers show some stuff which people might not want to know, but there’s much more major spoilers floating around which confirm that the trailer stuff is just the top of the iceberg.

On 30/04/2022 at 20:43, Mortis said:

I read an article earlier that said Marvel have recommended anyone planning to see this watches the original Dr Strange, Wandavision, Spidey No Way Home and What If. 

“Anyone planning to watch our very mainstream movie needs to go away and do 20 hours of homework” is a really odd position to take, even ignoring how bloody boring What If is.

I dunno man, if the various Marvel threads here are anything to go by some people appear very happy to continue to watch hours and hours of films and TV shows they don't much like. 20hrs of homework doesn't feel like a stretch to me.

To be fair - the majority of people going to watch Dr Strange 2 I’d expect would have seen at least everything outside of the D+ shows. 
 I fully expect that Wanda and Multiverse stuff will be spoon fed to the audience anyway just so no one is left behind. 

2 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Maybe after Raimi's finished with this crap we'll get Army of Darkness II: Army Harder.

did you just basically make the same crap joke across multiple threads?

I know it’s a bank holiday but you must have better things to do with your time. 

Just now, monkeydog said:

Some review are appearing. I stopped listening at "top to bottom, for better and worse, this is a Sam Raimi film through and through". Sold!

Yeah saw that IGN hot take and had the same reaction :lol:

All reviews seem a bit like warm. Don’t care, gonna watch it and no doubt enjoy the heck out of it. 

It sounds a bit meh by the reviews I read. 

Another Marvel film I will skip in the cinema probably. Just can't muster any enthusiasm. 

Going to see this Day One. Managed to stay relatively spoiler free apart from what Marvel showed in their two main trailers.

Currently forcing myself to watch "What If" just incase there's any crossover with that. This is really becoming just like comic books right before it gets so bloated they have to press the big reset button. Like, do I need to watch all the XMen movies as well now after hearing Pat Stews voice in the trailer?

Liked this a lot. Bit cheesy, but hell, it's a comic book movie.

Easy to spot Raimi direction and some scenes are straight out of the comics.

Post credit scene was worth it :lol:

• Doctor Shark changed the title to Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - May 2022