Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness - May 2022

Captain Kelsten

Everyman cinemas might be expensive but I haven't had to put up with a shit audience spoiling the film since I started going to one. It's a much better experience than other local cinemas.

Help me out here because I'm obviously missing something major - why did this film not even reference the Loki series? 

I thought Loki finished with the multiverse going a bit mad and that setup this next phase of the movies, but so far none of the film's have picked this up despite them being multiverse related? They even setup a big bad who seems to have gone nowhere. 

Dr Strange 2 felt weirdly disconnected from the rest of the MCU, I found it difficult to sit through and it felt like they had just made up the plot as they went. 

22 minutes ago, PeteJ said:

Help me out here because I'm obviously missing something major - why did this film not even reference the Loki series? 

I thought Loki finished with the multiverse going a bit mad and that setup this next phase of the movies, but so far none of the film's have picked this up despite them being multiverse related? They even setup a big bad who seems to have gone nowhere. 

Dr Strange 2 felt weirdly disconnected from the rest of the MCU, I found it difficult to sit through and it felt like they had just made up the plot as they went. 

Spoiler

The Loki show timeline doesn't run parallel with the rest of the MCU because they're able to time hop. The TVA doesn't run parallel with the real world either because time doesn't exist there. The end of Loki also takes place at "end of time".

It's possible the mid credit scene of Dr Strange is because of what happened in Loki.

As far a He Who Remains goes, I'm sure we'll see more of his varient in Loki season 2 and Quantumania.

On 23/06/2022 at 15:52, drmick said:

I have noticed that the prevailing opinion of any MCU movie of people who catch it after release on streaming is negative in here.

So I'm curious to know the reasons why such posters choose not to watch it in the cinema.

Nope watched it on D+ tonight and I thought it was great.

Loads of fun but also very much a Raimi film; after the disappointments of Black Widow and The Eternals good to see Marvel back on form after this and No Way Home. 

Can’t actually remember the last film I saw at the cinema; young kids and limited baby sitting opportunities means we barely went even pre Covid. Much prefer this on streaming after 6 weeks brave new world…

Just finished this, it's a strange one alright (no pun intended).

It feels like there's a decent movie trying to get out of there, but it's hampered by some of the worst direction & camerawork I've seen in ages.

Spoiler

I'm sure the Raimi fans will says it's his trademark or something but a lot of it looked like a 90s spooky kids TV show, especially "Wanda looking out from a photo" and constant zoom shots into eyes. Even actual perilous scenes like Peggy getting sliced in two were badly done.

I'm sure they were shoehorned in for light relief but the scenes with Bruce Campbell and the fighting musical notes were pretty shit.

It wasn't all bad, I enjoyed the story on the whole especially the Illuminati set up. It was great to see Reed Richards, even if he did end up looking like the cheese string advert character.

One thing that is for sure is that Wong needs his own movie (or at least Disney+ series).

Marvel really don't seem to have a handle on this whole multiverse thing so far, I hope they bring it together into some cohesive story at some point.

6 minutes ago, cubik said:

Just finished this, it's a strange one alright (no pun intended).

It feels like there's a decent movie trying to get out of there, but it's hampered by some of the worst direction & camerawork I've seen in ages.

Hide contents

I'm sure the Raimi fans will says it's his trademark or something but a lot of it looked like a 90s spooky kids TV show, especially "Wanda looking out from a photo" and constant zoom shots into eyes. Even actual perilous scenes like Peggy getting sliced in two were badly done.

I'm sure they were shoehorned in for light relief but the scenes with Bruce Campbell and the fighting musical notes were pretty shit.

It wasn't all bad, I enjoyed the story on the whole especially the Illuminati set up. It was great to see Reed Richards, even if he did end up looking like the cheese string advert character.

One thing that is for sure is that Wong needs his own movie (or at least Disney+ series).

Whereas the bits in bold were some of my favourite bits!

I should add

Spoiler

The scene where they fell through the different multiverses was really well done. One of my favourite bits.

Shame thought that they landed in ever so slightly different futurist land where red means go and green means stop.

Yeah that aspect really disappointed me

Spoiler

I mean here we have the concept introduced earlier that the multiverse is a truly weird, fantastical and STRANGE place with rules that can be completely unlike anything you can even imagine, and when they actually stop anywhere a boring grey metal future with stop and go colours reversed really is the best they can come up with.

Colours having different connotations for some things is even the case just with different cultures within our actual existing universe, let alone having to hop to another one to see an example of it. The world they ended up in was just so boringly similar to our own it meant nothing of any real flavour or "madness" could actually happen in it.

When they went through places like the paint world I was thinking, oh boy, which one of these will they end up in... Will they have a madcap adventure warping through and having to do something in each of them? But no, they chickened out and just went with boring.

Into the Spider-Verse it ain't.

36 minutes ago, cubik said:

I bet you loved the ice cream song

Nobody liked that.

45 minutes ago, cubik said:

Hide contents

fighting musical notes were pretty shit.

Nope. That was legit great. Probably the most imaginative part of the film.

I can’t argue there weren’t more fantastical locations they could have picked for Strange & Chavez to reach. However the world they do land on has a bit more going on with it if you look carefully. Everything colourful is inverted so all the buildings are vibrant & lush, whilst all the cars & people are various shades of gray. 

Until they get inside the main building when they forget all that & it’s just a normal building. 

It's also a deliberate joke, isn't it? With the entire multiverse to choose from they land somewhere almost identical to their own. I think Strange even says "So this is the multiverse?" when they're walking along a New York street with a swapped colour palette - that seems quite on the nose.

Spoiler

I think it can be both a deliberate joke and also very disappointing at the same time. There was so much potential to do something more creative with it.

5 minutes ago, Benny said:
  Hide contents

I think it can be both a deliberate joke and also very disappointing at the same time. There was so much potential to do something more creative with it.

That's a fair point. I didn't find that element of it disappointing, but I can see why you might.

The bit that really didn't make sense was

Spoiler

Our Strange proving to the Strange in the post-incursion universe that he wasn't an imposter by mentioning that 'they' had a sister who died in an accident. There's no reason that would be a constant across universes.

Spoiler

There were a lot of things like that line about his sister that made no sense overall. If you have a multiverse where anything is possible then by its very nature nothing is certain either.

It's why they had a licence to just go nuts with the visuals and the rules, but they never did. It's remarkably "safe".

They could even have done something cool like bringing different heroes together from multiple universes like in the What If shorts, but have each one have different physical characteristics or visuals.

Easy example: they meet Captain Carter in a cartoon universe where everyone including her look like they do in What If: cool moment and a little nod to that series. Then they hop into the "real" world. Boom: it's real Hayley Atwell!

So many missed opportunities for moments like that.

That isn't fanwank fantasy though: it's just using the actual concept of the movie to do things more visually or thematically interesting in keeping with what's going on and already exists in the movie.

You could cut out loads of the "siege" bit for example.

15 hours ago, Monkeyboy said:

Nobody liked that.

Nope. That was legit great. Probably the most imaginative part of the film.

That they stole from Kung Fu Hustle

Really mediocre I thought, just like every MCU film since Endgame. I’ve gone from excitedly watching every film on opening night, to now feeling like it’s a bit of a chore to sit through the latest offerings whenever they come round. Really hope Marvel manage to get things back on track, but I’m very doubtful. The entire premise of this and the last Spidey effort seemed to centre around shoehorning in fan service cameos. Just really tiresome.

I know it’s been said many times, but when a small indie film comes out at the same time and uses the multiverse so spectacularly well, and is far more visually interesting, than you know you’ve ballsed up somewhere.

Given that Loki, Spider-man, and Dr. Strange have all revolved around the multiverse, it’s a bit disappointing how seemingly unconnected it’s all been. Really hasn’t felt like much of a grand plan in this phase. Did enjoy Shang-Chi, but have felt a bit meh about the rest of the movies. Hopefully they can course correct a bit with the next few films. Excited for Thor this week. 

24 minutes ago, jon_cybernet said:

Given that Loki, Spider-man, and Dr. Strange have all revolved around the multiverse, it’s a bit disappointing how seemingly unconnected it’s all been. Really hasn’t felt like much of a grand plan in this phase. Did enjoy Shang-Chi, but have felt a bit meh about the rest of the movies. Hopefully they can course correct a bit with the next few films. Excited for Thor this week. 

you want to Star Wars the multiverse?

1 hour ago, jon_cybernet said:

Kevin Fiege says that in phase 5 we're going to start to get hints as to where all this is going, which is kind of a damning indictment of how the crossmedia storytelling has gone after Endgame despite its ever-increasing intrusiveness.

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Kevin Fiege says that in phase 5 we're going to start to get hints as to where all this is going, which is kind of a damning indictment of how the crossmedia storytelling has gone after Endgame despite its ever-increasing intrusiveness.

Which phase are they in now?

2 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

Four. (Endgame was the end of phase 3, or possibly the last Spider-Man was.)

So, only hints in Phase 5? So phase four has no real ending or climax?