IGNORED

Unlockables you never managed to unlock

dumpster

Git Good! That's what they tell us.  But should unlockables remain locked when it's obvious the player doesn't have the ability to unlock them?  

Examples include Castlevania X on PSP, which contains Symphony of the Night and Rondo of Blood, major significant reasons to buy the thing, but locked away behind a pretty difficult set of obstacles.  Even if you Google it and know exactly what to do, it's really hard.

Likewise, Sega All Stars Racing Transformed - if you can't get enough stars to get the Daytona Car, Dreamcast boat, all those lovely things you saw in the trailer, then you can't have it.  You paid for it and can't have it. 

Dara O'Brien did a great piece about Guitar Hero, it won't let you play all the songs listed on the box because you're having to play Maps by Yeah Yeah Yeah.

So...  What unlockables did you never manage to unlock? And is it fair they have to be unlocked and the lock can't be bypassed any other way?

I completed everything with all characters on the Dreamcast version THPS2, except one thing: I never got all gaps, and so never unlocked the last character Private Carrera. And that was despite the fact that the DC version removed one or two of the hardest gaps from the PS1 version. I think many of the ones I was missing were those obscurely named gaps in Skate Heaven.

I think I skipped a number of the busted drops you get from superbosses in Persona games. So, like, defeating Elizabeth, Margaret, The Reaper, and so on.

I think I beat The Reaper in P4G, Margaret in P4G (possibly after tweaking the difficulty, I forget), I beat The Reaper in P5R (and you can’t use the flu season cheese in Royal) and also

Spoiler

José

in Royal. In most cases you can wait for NG+ or just grind in the final area before attempting a boss, so it’s not too crazy - it’s mostly dependent on your strategy going in.

I never did unlock the 2x RCP90 from finishing Caverns in under 09:30 in 00 Agent in Goldeneye, unlocked every other cheat already and lost the drive to even bother when All Guns already existed.

I never unlocked the AX tracks in F-Zero GX either, despite beating the story mode (and again in Hard, Very Hard) I just couldn't finish all the GP cups on Master. I'm sure there was an alternative way to do this, using your memory card in an AX arcade cabinet but I've never seen one of those. Maybe there's a cheat code or something.

19 hours ago, imp said:

Between the ages of 13 to 16, two friends and I would dedicate a solid two or three weeks every summer break to unlocking the Tofu minigame in Resi 2. We would pass the controller between us while one read out instructions from a guidebook. 

To unlock Tofu, you had to finish both A and B scenarios with an A ranking. This generally meant finishing each scenario in under 2.5 hours, using 0 first aid sprays and saving no more than 6 times. (Saving less gives you some leeway with the other requirements, but we didn't know that.) By our second summer we had the A scenario down to a fine art with both characters, consistently getting A scores every time, but we never managed to quite get there with the B scenario, even in year 3. We must have done dozens of attempts, and basically all knew what we considered the optimal sequence off by heart. We would gather in one of our houses in the morning, play through the A scenario in the morning, break for lunch, and then attempt scenario B in the afternoon. I don't think we ever just tried hammering the B scenario until it was done. For some reason we thought that wouldn't work, or wasn't in the spirit of the challenge.

Sadly, we never saw success, but did come tantalisingly close a few times. I remember the time factor was the most difficult, our fastest attempt being no more than 2 hours, 35 minutes IIRC. If only we'd known speed running strats, maybe we would have stood a better chance, but we were obsessed with basically trying to play the game "perfectly" - taking no hits and conserving ammo as much as possible.

You must have been dogshit, we did it at twelve!! Couldn't ever beat the actual tofu scenario though. Random trivia, I used to play resi then had this weird thing when I went to bed where in my dreams I was still playing the game and couldn't turn it off!! It haunted me for months. 

I had a pirated copy of smack down v raw 2. Back when there were chipped game shops. The only issues was, the rom it used was borked. So everytime you got up to the same bit of career mode, it crashed and you couldn't carry on. As such, you couldn't unlock anything.

One thing I gave up on was getting the devil car on ridge racer. That was so so hard. Also all the celestial weapons on ffx. Fuck that.

Edit: sorry I have reread this it was way overly harsh sorry!

26 minutes ago, carlospie said:

You must have been dogshit, we did it at twelve!!

😆

Oh dear. Anyway... yeah, I think you only have to complete one scenario with an A rank and the other with a B. Whatever it is you can of course use the overpowered secret weapons you unlock to get the job done much easier. Maybe they misunderstood the requirements?

That's to unlock the Hunk mission.

To unlock Tofu you have to complete six scenarios back to back all with an A. That's more a tedious task than a challenging one once you factor in the infinite rocket launcher and what-have-you.

There are some I never managed - the AX characters in F-Zero GX (I did manage to get the tracks), and the final few unlocks in Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed (did get as far as the Dreamcast but not much further). Also Sonic Mania - whatever it is you unlock for getting gold in all the blue sphere stages.

I’m not in favour of giving out the unlocks by alternative means though, time unlocks or whatever. These sort of challenges defined gaming for me back in the day, before we had DLC and trophies and stuff. It used to be the motivating factor in getting the most out of any particular game and I would always pick a few impossible things to attempt over the xmas holidays every year. If everything just fell into your lap it wouldn’t have been the same.

1 hour ago, CovisGod said:

Surely Driver has to be in here, didn’t you have to pass a pretty difficult licence test just to play the game?

I’m not sure I ever did pass it and play the actual game

Back in the day I recommended to Customers that they could come back with a memory card and we would copy a savegame file that skipped that garage level and a few people came back to take us up on that offer.

I think the game should offer a secondary route for the unlocks. Some people just aren't that talented and it seems unfair to lock away loads of content you paid for just because you're a bit cack handed.  Sonic Racing is a good example here. In the original you got Sega Miles as well as stars. If you found the game too hard you'd eventually unlock stuff anyway.   When the did Transformed some of the best vehicles needed 165 stars which required some levels to be completed on expert. There wasn't a way to complete the game on easy.

I was always intrigued by having Super Mario Bros and a few other NES games locked away on the GameCube version of Animal Crossing. So locked away that I believe you couldn't actually get them without some hack. Still, I've technically got a copy of the game so I'm not buying another one!

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Mate you must have been dogshit that was a piece of piss etc. etc. 

I remember the feeling of pride when I finally beat the devil car, then years later playing the Japanese version at the correct speed and realising I was still rubbish at it.

20 hours ago, Qazimod said:

I think I skipped a number of the busted drops you get from superbosses in Persona games. So, like, defeating Elizabeth, Margaret, The Reaper, and so on.

I think I beat The Reaper in P4G, Margaret in P4G (possibly after tweaking the difficulty, I forget), I beat The Reaper in P5R (and you can’t use the flu season cheese in Royal) and also

Hide contents

José

in Royal. In most cases you can wait for NG+ or just grind in the final area before attempting a boss, so it’s not too crazy - it’s mostly dependent on your strategy going in.

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure they nerfed Reaper in Royal compared to vanilla, you can beat it by having a couple of specific Persona in your party then I think the AI gets locked in a buff loop if you keep throwing debuffs every round.

I remember struggling a lot with Reaper when not doing the flu season cheese but beat it repeatedly for grinding in Royal (accidentally got everyone to level 99 and it made the last part of the vanilla run too easy.)

Really want to replay Royal but want it on the Switch...

14 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I remember the feeling of pride when I finally beat the devil car, then years later playing the Japanese version at the correct speed and realising I was still rubbish at it.

If I remember rightly, the key was as soon as you're in front of it, block at every chance. 

10 hours ago, dumpster said:

I think the game should offer a secondary route for the unlocks. Some people just aren't that talented and it seems unfair to lock away loads of content you paid for just because you're a bit cack handed.  Sonic Racing is a good example here. In the original you got Sega Miles as well as stars. If you found the game too hard you'd eventually unlock stuff anyway.   When the did Transformed some of the best vehicles needed 165 stars which required some levels to be completed on expert. There wasn't a way to complete the game on easy.

I like Smash Bros’ method too. There’s challenges to unlock characters but you can also get them by just playing a lot of matches, and you have to beat the character to unlock them. So if you just play multiplayer you eventually unlock everyone, but you need to play a fair bit to do it. I feel like it shows a real level of thought about the different ways people might play the game and is way better than forcing people who play it mainly with friends to do some arbitrary single player stuff.

10 hours ago, James Lyon said:

I was always intrigued by having Super Mario Bros and a few other NES games locked away on the GameCube version of Animal Crossing. So locked away that I believe you couldn't actually get them without some hack. Still, I've technically got a copy of the game so I'm not buying another one!

The worst thing about that is that it’s such a good idea, and makes so much sense in the world. The fact that they’re either impossible to get or really awkward and that they abandoned it after the first game is so Nintendo. 

54 minutes ago, SMD said:

in Royal (accidentally got everyone to level 99 and it made the last part of the vanilla run too easy.)

This happened to me! I was trying to work on José's stamp collection in Mementos and ended up hitting the cap when I still had to finish the story. :lol: I think Ryuji's "insta-kill low-level encounters" skill contributed to most of this...

2 minutes ago, Broker said:

I like Smash Bros’ method too. There’s challenges to unlock characters but you can also get them by just playing a lot of matches, and you have to beat the character to unlock them. So if you just play multiplayer you eventually unlock everyone, but you need to play a fair bit to do it. I feel like it shows a real level of thought about the different ways people might play the game and is way better than forcing people who play it mainly with friends to do some arbitrary single player stuff.

That reminds me, we've played probably hundreds of hours of Boom Street on Wii over the years but only unlocked one of the seven(?) extra boards because you can only get them by playing the game in single player. A board game. Ludicrous.

I should try download a save file for it, or just switch to playing it emulated.

37 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

This happened to me! I was trying to work on José's stamp collection in Mementos and ended up hitting the cap when I still had to finish the story. :lol: I think Ryuji's "insta-kill low-level encounters" skill contributed to most of this...

That helped but if you beat the reaper a few times, you and your persona basically jump 10 levels if you're like me and started in the high 70s/low 80s.

Ah man, I'm really getting the itch now.

1 hour ago, SMD said:

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure they nerfed Reaper in Royal compared to vanilla, 

It's the other way round isn't it, the Reaper is no longer affected by flu season which made him easier to beat in the vanilla game. Beating him is no longer attached to a trophy in Royal. 

7 hours ago, ryodi said:

It's the other way round isn't it, the Reaper is no longer affected by flu season which made him easier to beat in the vanilla game. Beating him is no longer attached to a trophy in Royal. 

No, I mean the regular reaper without the flu cheese was harder than royal. Its not attached to a trophy but its an accolade or whatever its called in game.