IGNORED

Console availability - what's going on?

dumpster

Brexit. Covid. I get it. 

But it's been a whole year.  Companies like Sony and Microsoft surely have the resources to fix issues, be that manufacture or transportation. 

Sony and Microsoft have both declared their consoles to be great successes and Sony even claimed the PS5 is selling faster than PS4. 

But how? How can they possibly be surviving and making money when you can't buy their product?  It's crazy.  I can't even find a Series S for Xmas to gift.  

It seems the only way to buy one of these consoles is to sign up for a Twitter feed or use a stock hunting app.  This surely excludes the mass market from buying one.  People like us on this forum will do that, but surely Sony and Microsoft are now just days away from missing their second Christmas and I just have to wonder how on earth they can allow that to happen?  

Probably just a rant from me there, but I'd be interested in your thoughts on this.  Anyone here working in a game store? How's it going? Where's the stock?  What are your thoughts? 

5 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Brexit. Covid. I get it. 

But it's been a whole year.  Companies like Sony and Microsoft surely have the resources to fix issues, be that manufacture or transportation. 

It's a global chip shortage really. Not much you can do when everyone is competing for the same component. 

Even if you had a spare 15bn and built your own chip factory, it is not like you can just click your fingers and spend the money - the factory would then still need to be built. 

From reading this forum for the past year I quite envy the relative ease with which people in the UK (and everywhere else that isn't Japan I guess) seem to be able to get the new consoles. Xbox in particular seems like anyone there who wants one can get one at RRP if they make some relatively light effort. 

12 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

The chip shortage isn't going away any any time soon.

@dumpster

This. It doesn't matter how much money you chuck at it. It takes a hell of a long time to set up new production facilities to deal with demand, its not a quick fix. From what I've read/ seen you've got a perfect storm of Covid effecting everything, plus shit like the Suez canal blockage and in general an ever growing demand for semiconductors. We needed more semiconductor manufacturing plants anyway regardless of Covid.

It's not just a chip shortage, it's a global silicon shortage, in part caused by covid closing production ,  but, also a drought hit tiawan last year causing further delay.

Why do I mention Taiwan, well, that's where TSMC, the producers of the vast ount of silicon used in microprocessors are, and especially AMDs stuff. They can only produce a finite amount, and its all used in many industries!

Weirdly, Intel who produce their own stuff, could come out looking good in the pc space if they actually get the gpus out the door!

Oh. And TSMC are looki g to build a factory in the USA to help,  but that's a couple years away still.

Hell, if we were still in the EU, we. Iuld have took that 37billion Boris spunked up the wall on test and traced and built a TSMC silicon factory here! But they won't now, as no EU...

14 minutes ago, dumpster said:

It'll be more than one year, we've got components on a 60-week lead time at the moment. The problem is these companies were sticking all their money in investor dividends and share buybacks rather than building out future capability, setting up new production lines takes four years, and so they're all being bailed out for strategic reasons.

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

It'll be more than one year, we've got components on a 60-week lead time at the moment. The problem is these companies were sticking all their money in investor dividends and share buybacks rather than building out future capability, setting up new production lines takes four years, and so they're all being bailed out for strategic reasons.

Lucky.

We've been quoted a 93wk lead time on a chip in one of our products. 

Not a good time to work in supply chain/manufacturing. 

Had a PS5 and a S via Amazon on launch day. Decided I wanted an X on Monday, got one delivered on Tuesday. Now hovering over the OLED Switch buy it now buttons convincing myself that I definitely don’t need one.

For me, talk of constrained supply is over exaggerated and plays into the manufactures hands. The perception of scarcity is creating the demand and who knows if they would’ve sold way less if this synthetic demand was not there.

Roll my eyes when they say it’s impossible to get a ps5 or whatever. They ain’t trying hard enough. Anyone who really wants a new console will get one.

54 minutes ago, mikeyl said:

Roll my eyes when they say it’s impossible to get a ps5 or whatever. They ain’t trying hard enough. Anyone who really wants a new console will get one.

You might have got lucky, I know some people who want one and haven't been able to get one 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

Had a PS5 and a S via Amazon on launch day. Decided I wanted an X on Monday, got one delivered on Tuesday. Now hovering over the OLED Switch buy it now buttons convincing myself that I definitely don’t need one.

For me, talk of constrained supply is over exaggerated and plays into the manufactures hands. The perception of scarcity is creating the demand and who knows if they would’ve sold way less if this synthetic demand was not there.

PS5 wasn’t that easy, not for me anyway, took me a couple of months of joining queues and missing out etc. not sure how much harder anyone just wanting to buy something should have to try when they’ve got work and lives to lead. 

Yep, I was lucky enough to get both a PS5 and Series X after about a month of trying in both cases, but that's only because I'm fortunate enough to work from home and have a job whose work levels veer between completely overwhelmed and absolutely nothing to do depending on demand, so had the opportunity to leap on chances at the right moment. If I was still in the office, or in a job without ebbs in its workload, I doubt I'd have been able to get either.

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

what a load of bollox! lol

Go find a GPU from a retailer, at msrp!

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

Which shop can I go into and buy a PS5 or Xbox Series X/S? A year after launch I could pop into any shop/'supermarket and buy a PS4 or Xbox One.

I mean bricks and mortar are old fashioned I know so I'll settle for any shop website I can go and buy one or indeed preorder , basically anywhere where I can say "yes please I'd like to buy one" and they sell me one.

Is bitcoin mining still having a big effect on demand for GPUs? Or is that only a small part of the shortage, compared to the other factors mentioned above?

I heard something a while ago that there were plans for the latest generation of cards to throttle themselves to make them less attractive for mining - did that happen, and did it have much of an effect?

I object to the argument that you can get one if you want one.  I'm helping my mum source a Series S for Xmas and left to her own shopping skills she'd have no chance.  I'm using a stock app to find them and that's not something any normal shopper should need to do. 

Edit: thanks everyone pointing out where I can get one.  My point is Yes, I can get one and most of the people on this forum probably could, but you'll be using stock check apps and Twitter feeds to do it.  My mum, quite rightly, expected to wander into Argos and pick one up next time she happens to be there. And you'd imagine that's not an unreasonable thought a year after launch.

Chasing around using stock apps/websites is a level of effort I am not willing to put in for a console purchase. At the very least I expect a product to just be in a shop and "orderable" or "preorderable" so I can just buy it not and monitor stock checkers so I can queue for the honour to hand over £500.

What other consumer level item does that? None that I would buy.

8 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I object to the argument that you can get one if you want one.  I'm helping my mum source a Series S for Xmas and left to her own shopping skills she'd have no chance.  I'm using a stock app to find them and that's not something any normal shopper should need to do. 

Series S machines are the easiest to find from where I'm looking... (there are 15+ in stock at the local Smyths toy store). X and PS5 are a bit more difficult to source.

Once Christmas is over I think they might be a bit easier to source because Christmas demand won't be there anymore. Which will at least ease things a bit (hopefully). Also because demand from early adopters will have eased of a bit the scalpers will have less opportunity to flip consoles for a profit so they won't be sucking as many out of the market. In addition bricks and mortar shops are getting stock so more likely to pick a console up at a actual shop that cannot be ordered online for delivery.

In the end I'm happy that things haven't gone completely crazy and we have plenty of food on the shelves... so consoles.. meh... first world problem and all that. 

I got the Halo Infinite Xbox Series X for RRP through John Wick-esque focus, commitment, and sheer will.  

A normal person stands no chance. Which I would understand for the first 3 months, 6 at a push. But this is just taking the mickey. 

39 minutes ago, dumpster said:

The S seems to pop up quite often at the likes of Argos, so with some luck you may get one for Christmas. 

I think I might have got lucky, fancied an X all of a sudden on Monday and just googled and it came up. The problem with all these stock checkers and Twitter links tho, and being put in a queue, is that this is the exact same route as 90% of people and scalpers are waiting on.

And if people want an S and can’t get one then they are not trying hard enough https://www.xbox.com/en-gb/configure/942J774TP9JN