IGNORED

Metal Slug collections?

JoeK

Is there a complete collection of these games on Xbox at all? I'm seeing a few individual games listed, but ideally I kind of want a one hit pack to fulfil my needs. Ideally, this will become my Xmas game that I can watch my nephews getting utterly frustrated with due to the difficulty, whilst I just want to watch what I think are some of the most wonderful 2d animations ever created :P

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

Is there a complete collection of these games on Xbox at all? I'm seeing a few individual games listed, but ideally I kind of want a one hit pack to fulfil my needs. Ideally, this will become my Xmas game that I can watch my nephews getting utterly frustrated with due to the difficulty, whilst I just want to watch what I think are some of the most wonderful 2d animations ever created :P

You only really want the first game, X and possibly XX. It went downhill with 3 (over long levels, weird aliens etc) and from what I recall 4 and 5 weren't much better.

You can set them all to unlimited continues, so I doubt they'll notice the difficulty.

Cheers :) .

I picked up the first game a little earlier…it was only £6. It definitely scratches the itch. I am however a terrible completionist when it comes to these things, so I’m quite sure I’ll end up with them all :P 

I think I only ever played the original in an arcade years and years ago, but the art style and charm never fails to make me smile. 

Definitely looking forward to playing this with the nephews though!

I don't think there's ever been any Xbox Compilations, the ones I've got are for Wii and PSP.

They're all beautiful games. Number 2 is my personal favourite, prefer it to X despite the slowdown on 2. Numbers 4 and 5 are the weaker entries, but they're still nice to look at and fun to play for a bit. I didn't personally get on with XX, it was too bloody difficult even when put up against all the other 'Slugs.

3 hours ago, gossi the dog said:

You only really want the first game, X and possibly XX. It went downhill with 3 (over long levels, weird aliens etc) and from what I recall 4 and 5 weren't much better.

You can set them all to unlimited continues, so I doubt they'll notice the difficulty.

3 is the best one! The first four missions are quite short with mission 5 being the bulk of the game, it’s incredible! 4 and 5 were by different teams and it shows. 3 was the high point

On 17/12/2021 at 12:54, erhgiez said:

3 is the best one! The first four missions are quite short with mission 5 being the bulk of the game, it’s incredible! 4 and 5 were by different teams and it shows. 3 was the high point

Yeah, 3 was the peak for me. I agree about the long levels and alien nonsense but it felt more like the developer throwing everything into this one; the alien stuff appearing at the end of the earlier games was now fleshed out into a “third act” of sorts.

I don’t dislike the post-3 games but they definitely struggled to replicate that escalation a bit. X and 3 are the essential ones.

1 hour ago, Keyboard Koala said:

The emulation in these anthologies is not as good as in the ACA NEOGEO series mind.

Yeah, it's probably cheaper at this point to buy the ACA games individually than to buy the old anthology, which wasn't very well emulated (and was locked to 50hz if you bought a PAL copy). Playing the ACA versions is almost as good as playing on original hardware. :)

If you have you heart set on playing the games on Xbox or PS2, though, the individual releases are honestly far better than the anthology. (Though they don't span the whole series, and 6 has no autofire option, if that's an issue.)

Definitely check out the individual releases of 4 and 5 if you can. 4, while notably suffering from being a post-bankruptcy SNK game, is generally as breezy and fun as the original Metal Slug, which is a deeply underappreciated point, imo. 5 doesn't compare badly to the older games either, and has some really spectacular setpieces and bosses.

Were the MS3 console extras ("Fat Island" and "Storming the Mothership") ever present in other collections, or just the Xbox and PS2 games? I feel like at one point I went and tracked down the PS2 game specifically to see what those game modes were like. :P