IGNORED

When people ask you...

Illyria

I play 3 or 4 brand new games a week for no more than 10 minutes each before deleting them - I'm a GamePass & Apple Arcade Subscriber.

I think it's an age thing, in the past the question of what game are you playing would send you off in a panic trying to name check some obscure Japanese import to establish your credentials (like similar questions about Music, TV, Film would, the answer has to be obscure and demonstrate good taste and credentials).

My other answer is I've played Clash Royale daily for 5.5 years - which is as low cred an answer as I think you can give, but I don't care because it's actually the best game ever. 

I got talking to someone from work about games, only because he said he was going to play on his PS5 when he got in, I wasn’t asking or anything. 

Anyway, I asked what games he plays and he said, Warzone mainly, and FIFA. Then I told him I’d like a PS5 myself, and that I currently have the new Xbox ‘Xbox is fucking shit’ was his response. 

The conversation just kind of stopped there. 

So this isn't an easy question to answer is it when you play so many games like most of us do. 

I tend to reply with Yakuza games and third person action adventure and I do like JRPG's. 

But I will also add I spent this summer thoroughly addicted to Hades. 

I won't be replying with COD or any sports games. 

For me it might depend on who I was talking to, and how we got onto the subject.

Like, if it's my in-laws who just like books and intelligent things and I worry they'll look down on the hobby, I try to explain things like Untitled Goose Game or Return of the Obra Dinn. I like to challenge them a bit on what video games are - I think they think most games are basically Call of Duty and a bit uncouth - about the same as giving an 8 year old a plastic AK47 to play with. So I like to make the point that games are just like movies and books. You get trash, you get high brow stuff, you get stuff in between. 

If it's a colleague at work I'll just recount what I'm recently playing and can be a bit honest because they play games too and there's no pretending, they'll be asking because they're after recommendations or whatever.

I mean the short version is it depends whether the person who asked is also a gamer or not. 

I never have to tell anybody because nobody ever asks me. The joys of not having to make small talk with people because you don't ever see anyone new.

Course, I'd love to say "Oh, I'm currently playing Dead by Daylight. It's an asymmetrical multiplayer game where you have to murder 4 other people before they get chance to leave limbo. I quite like playing as Leatherface from Texas Chainsaw Massacre." That'd reinforce some stereotypes.

The occasional dude in the pub might ask me once in a blue moon but when I tell them "pretty much anything" and that I own all the systems and VR they look at me like... "you fucking sad big bastard"

I was asked this the other day by somebody and I actually struggled to answer.

More because, before I got that chance too answer, the asker of the question said that all they played was FIFA UT and Call of Duty.

When they finally stopped going on about their amazing team (including showing me pictures of their formation like a parent would show you a picture of their child) I said I was currently playing Unpacking, Guardians of the Galaxy and Sackboy. To which the reply was "oh, that's all a bit nerdy!"

I mean, WTF?! You have a picture of your bloody made up FIFA team on your phone!!! 😶

“ everything, but mostly slay the spire which you must try”

But I also have large Lego rockets, space shuttles and super Mario cubes strategically^ placed directly in line of sight of my webcam so I’m not going to be fazed by a question about videogames.

It isn’t 1997 any longer. At least half of your middle management plays games, and the remainder know everyone else does.

And if they don’t, and want to judge, let them. At least I haven’t said my iPad save is now at 500 hours and counting.

^ I have nowhere else to put them. And sometimes you have a call with another Lego nerd.

I find it so rarely crops up, and when it does people look at me with disbelief that an old fart like me knows considerably more about the games industry and tech than they do. If they're being especially fucking irritating I'll just mention in passing I have 'all the toys' and that tends to shut them up.

I honestly don't much care for talking about videogames with most people I work with or know. It's a little like my preferences with books and films and music - it's just too fucking broad a subject for me to get into without thoroughly boring them (and myself!) rigid. 

Just the same difficulty I have when I tell people that for half my working week I paint miniatures for a living and pay bills. That's a right ball-ache and it crops up all the fucking time because people are always moaning at me to do overtime and extra hours at the 'real-life' job. I'm not embarrassed about it, but for boring people who work boring jobs (which is what I do for half my week) it's spectacularly difficult to open up peoples' mindsets to realise there are other ways of making money.

Just as there are many more ways to enjoy gaming than the usual AAA blockbusters.

I honestly cannot be arsed with it anymore. 

I like doing what I do, and I like playing what I play. Selfish it may well be, but I cannot be arsed with drumming up small talk for what is in essence a basic regular part of my life.

2 hours ago, choddo said:

"I like to focus on Koronis Rift, Mercenary and Iridis Alpha because I don't feel like I've fully explored those yet. After that I am looking at rinsing Stunt Car Racer"

(I never actually have any conversation about games)

You know your having a time lapsed conversation about games right? 

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

I never have to tell anybody because nobody ever asks me. The joys of not having to make small talk with people because you don't ever see anyone new.

Course, I'd love to say "Oh, I'm currently playing Dead by Daylight. It's an asymmetrical multiplayer game where you have to murder 4 other people before they get chance to leave limbo. I quite like playing as Leatherface from Texas Chainsaw Massacre." That'd reinforce some stereotypes.

I really like shooty shooty bang bangs. 

I was on a teams call the other day and a fellow gamer asked at the end of call what I was doing for lunch. 

I couldn't reply well I'm currently focusing on running my hostess club in Sotenbori cos man you really rake in the yen doing that.

ITS NOT FILTHY ITS JUST A DIFFERENT CULTURE