IGNORED

Legacy - Peter Molyneux's new game - 'Will revolutionise blockchain gaming and the use of NFTs'

Goose

4 minutes ago, BlackHoodedCrow said:

The game exists still. Just like every game you bought in the past.

You know when you boot up the original Nintendo Wii, it still works but the store is closed and no online gaming works? Well, it could prevent that. 

You still own the game and can play still, but because assets aren't stored with Peter Molyneux's company, when they declare bankruptcy and shut down the servers, the in-game trading of assets doesn't go with them.

Are you suggesting all online assets, servers etc will be stored on the Blockchain as opposed to just a receipt confirming ownership? Because that's unlike all other NFTs and will be incredibly inefficient, especially on Eth.

3 minutes ago, BlackHoodedCrow said:

You know when you boot up the original Nintendo Wii, it still works but the store is closed and no online gaming works? Well, it could prevent that. 

You still own the game and can play still, but because assets aren't stored with Peter Molyneux's company, when they declare bankruptcy and shut down the servers, the in-game trading of assets doesn't go with them.

When they declare bankruptcy and shut down the servers, does the game still work? Being able to trade the assets independently of the game, and being able to use them in the game itself are two different things.

Not that this is any different to now, in fairness. If I buy Rinaldo in FIFA Ultimate Team 2020, he doesn't get ported over to my squad when I buy FIFA 2022, right?

But I think that's the point I'm making. Yes there's an independent permanent record that I bought the in-game item. And I can trade that with others, and potentially the dev/publisher can take a cut etc. But this idea of its permanence seems more academic than systemically different. It's still dependent on the game systems being available to use.

12 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Are you suggesting all online assets, servers etc will be stored on the Blockchain as opposed to just a receipt confirming ownership? Because that's unlike all other NFTs and will be incredibly inefficient, especially on Eth.

No. I'd imagine they're stored in the game and only unlocked if you can prove you own it. But it depends how they've built the game, of course. If they're all stored on a company-owned server then this is correct :

13 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

When they declare bankruptcy and shut down the servers, does the game still work? Being able to trade the assets independently of the game, and being able to use them in the game itself are two different things.

Not that this is any different to now, in fairness. If I buy Rinaldo in FIFA Ultimate Team 2020, he doesn't get ported over to my squad when I buy FIFA 2022, right?

But I think that's the point I'm making. Yes there's an independent permanent record that I bought the in-game item. And I can trade that with others, and potentially the dev/publisher can take a cut etc. But this idea of its permanence seems more academic than systemically different. It's still dependent on the game systems being available to use.

All you need for Ronaldo, of course, is some token that says you're entitled to use Ronaldo, which is the sort of thing that an NFT can do without any issue (aside from the ongoing downfall of modern society). No reason Legacy needs to be any different but we know bog all about the game to determine whether or not it'd continue to function in 22 Cans' absence. Right now it all we've got is an announcement that includes as many crypto buzzwords as possible.

Everything reminds me of this.

4 hours ago, BlackHoodedCrow said:

So the game will always be able to access your assets even if the game or blockchain is shut down/made illegal/is hacked/is superseded?

Otherwise, what’s the difference?

2 hours ago, deKay said:

So the game will always be able to access your assets even if the game or blockchain is shut down/made illegal/is hacked/is superseded?

Otherwise, what’s the difference?

I guess the assumption is that the blockchain would remain after the game is no longer supported. The blockchain can't simply be "shut down" without cutting off every single node, and in theory can't be hacked either without being in control of 51% of the network. I don't think there are any plans to supersede the Etherium mainnet any time soon either, but if it was you'd think there'd be something in place to allow for migration to the replacement.

It could be made illegal worldwide of course, although that seems unlikely.

None of which detracts from this game presumably being completely awful mind. I'm sure some blockchain game will eventually come along that justifies its existence beyond the creation of speculative in-game items, but this isn't going to be it.

36 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I think most folks know that the receipt of your asset purchase will endure beyond Legacy, but not the actual asset it refers to.

I may be an old man shouting at clouds here, but what does that actually mean and what can you do with it?

(My phone crashed whilst typing that message out. I have no idea how it even submitted the first half).

33 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I think most folks know that the receipt of your asset purchase will endure beyond Legacy, but not the actual asset it refers to.

I think it could, although I may well be misunderstanding something. My thinking was that all copies of the game would contain the same assets, but that some of those would require ownership of a unique NFT to actually use. There wouldn't need to be any centralised servers running for that to work, assuming that scenario is possible in the first place. As long as you could play a copy of the game it would last as long as the blockchain.

13 hours ago, Mogster said:

I think it could, although I may well be misunderstanding something. My thinking was that all copies of the game would contain the same assets, but that some of those would require ownership of a unique NFT to actually use. There wouldn't need to be any centralised servers running for that to work, assuming that scenario is possible in the first place. As long as you could play a copy of the game it would last as long as the blockchain.

If the game itself isn’t online, what’s the point?

You buy/sell land using real money in an offline game where no-one can give a shit about uniqueness?!

57 minutes ago, footle said:

If the game itself isn’t online, what’s the point?

You buy/sell land using real money in an offline game where no-one can give a shit about uniqueness?!

No idea. Like I said, it sounds rubbish and I've yet to see the point of any blockchain game.

I guess the game would potentially be able to show all owners of stuff in a game, but for it to actually do anything interesting you'd want to somehow store more information than that in the chain.