Jump to content
IGNORED

TV to relax to


wev
 Share

Recommended Posts

I don't watch lots and lots of TV, I prefer to be playing a game, reading a book, plucking away at my bass, though in reality I spend far too much of that time browsing whatever on my phone like we all do.

 

I do love finding TV to relax to though, favourites include Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing and Walking Britain's Lost Railways, but I've just discovered Grayson Perrys Art Club.

 

I love these shows because they're not loud, they're not full of people trying to grab your attention and genuinely come across as labours of love. I'll admit I've looked up getting a fishing license (but my love of being at home on my own has stopped me doing that), local walking routes (see above, though it would give me more time with Fred) and had me contemplating digging out my water colours even though I get really frustrated when I try and be arty.

 

Anybody else love these shows or have something similar they like?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Repair Shop ticks a lot of the boxes for me: it's relaxed, sunny and full of love (items that people love, repaired by people who love their work). Ideally I'd like more focus on the actual repairing and a bit less on people's stories, but they need that emotional content for a mainstream show, I suppose.

 

Also Gardener's World, even though I'm not a massive gardener.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, wev said:

I don't watch lots and lots of TV, I prefer to be playing a game, reading a book, plucking away at my bass, though in reality I spend far too much of that time browsing whatever on my phone like we all do.

 

I do love finding TV to relax to though, favourites include Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing and Walking Britain's Lost Railways, but I've just discovered Grayson Perrys Art Club.

 

I love these shows because they're not loud, they're not full of people trying to grab your attention and genuinely come across as labours of love. I'll admit I've looked up getting a fishing license (but my love of being at home on my own has stopped me doing that), local walking routes (see above, though it would give me more time with Fred) and had me contemplating digging out my water colours even though I get really frustrated when I try and be arty.

 

Anybody else love these shows or have something similar they like?

How to with John Wilson

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Chosty said:

The Repair Shop ticks a lot of the boxes for me: it's relaxed, sunny and full of love (items that people love, repaired by people who love their work). Ideally I'd like more focus on the actual repairing and a bit less on people's stories, but they need that emotional content for a mainstream show, I suppose.

 

Also Gardener's World, even though I'm not a massive gardener.

 

It's the emotional ties that turn me off The Repair Shop too, I like seeing people do things they're good at, I'm not a big fan of The Beatles but was totally absorbed by the recent Disney+ doc.

 

Gardeners World was one I'd watch with Rota, I shall have to continue with that, as hard as it may be at first, as I promised her I'd take care of her garden.

 

@Lovelymanjust searched that one, is it on any channel here? I can only see mention of HBO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, wev said:

 

It's the emotional ties that turn me off The Repair Shop too, I like seeing people do things they're good at, I'm not a big fan of The Beatles but was totally absorbed by the recent Disney+ doc.

 

Gardeners World was one I'd watch with Rota, I shall have to continue with that, as hard as it may be at first, as I promised her I'd take care of her garden.

 

@Lovelymanjust searched that one, is it on any channel here? I can only see mention of HBO

I dunno actually, I ended up torrenting it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Repair Shop and Gardener's World are good shouts. The Great British Pottery thing, and also the Sewing Bee are lovely too - just people who care about what they're doing. I have no interest in either craft, but they're lovely shows to watch. Beyond that, Detectorists probably fits well here - a wonderfully gentle comedy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wev said:

I do love finding TV to relax to though, favourites include Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing and Walking Britain's Lost Railways, but I've just discovered Grayson Perrys Art Club.

 

I watched both Gone Fishing and Grayson Perry's Art Club. They are both pretty feel good, relaxing shows. I'd probably put Around the World by Train With Tony Robinson in the same category. It's exactly what it sounds like. You can get most of it through torrents / youtube.

 

 

I used to enjoy watching Portrait Artist of the Year too and downloaded it from UKTVLAND on reddit. But that subreddit shut down now and apparently nobody has bothered uploading the latest season (which is airing now) to torrents sites. The show is similar format to Bake-Off / Pottery-Throwdown and that ilk. Different artists painting celebrities and one winner gets picked each episode to go to a grand finale episode. You can probably watch it on Sky Arts though, if you have a subscription.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, wev said:

I don't watch lots and lots of TV, I prefer to be playing a game, reading a book, plucking away at my bass, though in reality I spend far too much of that time browsing whatever on my phone like we all do.

 

I do love finding TV to relax to though, favourites include Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing and Walking Britain's Lost Railways, but I've just discovered Grayson Perrys Art Club.

 

I love these shows because they're not loud, they're not full of people trying to grab your attention and genuinely come across as labours of love. I'll admit I've looked up getting a fishing license (but my love of being at home on my own has stopped me doing that), local walking routes (see above, though it would give me more time with Fred) and had me contemplating digging out my water colours even though I get really frustrated when I try and be arty.

 

Anybody else love these shows or have something similar they like?

 

Gilmore Girls, my man. One of the greatest tv shows of all time, partially because of it's wittiness, but also because it's just so watchable and enjoyable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you mentioned Disney+ - they’ve got some lovely nature stuff. Wild Chile is particularly good.  I’m also a fan of relaxing with a bit of history, and they’ve got some

cool history stuff on there too.  Or all of Time Team, which I guess is on All4.  “We think we’ve got a wall in the bottom trench, Tony!”

 

The original Cosmos with Carl Sagan is the best. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I enjoyed the Dancing with the Birds documentary on Netflix. Often I can't handle nature documentaries because of the scenes of natural predators killing their prey. Which, yes, it's part of nature, but man it bums me out. So I really loved that documentary, because it's quite silly and entertaining, but not overbearingly so. The world of birds is pretty crazy. The stuff they can do man 😱

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2021 at 19:20, MarkN said:

The Repair Shop and Gardener's World are good shouts. The Great British Pottery thing, and also the Sewing Bee are lovely too - just people who care about what they're doing. I have no interest in either craft, but they're lovely shows to watch. Beyond that, Detectorists probably fits well here - a wonderfully gentle comedy.

I love the sewing bee, only ever watch it by accident but quality TV.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There's a BBC series called Canal Boat Diaries that I immediately thought of when I first saw this thread, but it hadn't been on for a while so it was unavailable. It's pretty much a YouTube series with decent production values, but it's nicely contemplative and makes you think about how it would be to have a completely different lifestyle, and travel.

 

Anyway, the first series is back on BBC4 so it's started to reappear on iPlayer. I think there are two in total.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wheeler Dealers went downhill when for whatever reason they got Mike to start doing some of the more menial tasks. I always imagined Ed in the next scene starting off by trying to mend as best as he could what had just been buggered up, like removing contact adhesive from the new carpets or buffing out a big watch scratch from the paint work. The new guy had a terrible first series, and then they changed the format back to how it was and it’s lovely again. Worth revisiting for sure.

 

A Place in the Sun is my go-to for relaxing telly though. Could happily spent all day watching old Brummies buy an 18 grand flat on a municipal golf course in Turkmenistan, and fortunately it’s on all day, so I can.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mike doing any work gives me feelings of Danny DeVitos character in Matilda.

 

@Huz

 

Will check Canal Boat Diaries out.

 

I watched the first episode of Zen Motoring last night, that was nice and calming 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve found Aerial America on The Smithsonian Channel (Freeview 57) to be very relaxing. A calming voiceover giving some historical facts and beautiful aerial shots of US states.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It got a load of shit but I really enjoyed Emily In Paris. It's not taxing but it's beautifully shot and Lily Collins is hardly hard on the eyes.*

 

 

 

 

*Except in Season 2 where she's worryingly thin.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.