IGNORED

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine 2

Oracle

Shame the original never got added to Xbox BC, I really enjoyed it - it was the absolute zenith of grey/brown futuristic shooters, but it fit the license perfectly. Maybe they'll rerelease the first game on consoles at some point.

23 minutes ago, K said:

Shame the original never got added to Xbox BC, I really enjoyed it - it was the absolute zenith of grey/brown futuristic shooters, but it fit the license perfectly. Maybe they'll rerelease the first game on consoles at some point.

yes its a real shame :( 

12 minutes ago, X_2_0 said:

Emperor be praised!  

The multi player was a lot of fun too. 

I loved the multiplayer, secretly one of the best games of its era and a good antidote to my disappointment over the 360 era Gears sequels.

I don't think it's anything to do with GW. They dish out the WH40K license to any old studio. It's down to the studios who to make the games.

I remember enjoying the original Space Marine for what it was but it had a terrible issue on PC that made the game run in slow motion at times.

Yep, see e.g. the other recent 40k games: the stars of this year's Battlesector are the Blood Angels, 2020's Dakka Squadron were Orks, the (secretly great) 2018 Mechanicus were, er, the Adeptus Mechanicus, and the upcoming Daemonhunters are (as you'd guess) Grey Knights. Compared to the miniatures game the smurfs are if anything under-represented! Given that this is a direct sequel to, and stars the same character as Relic's original, it was unlikely they'd suddenly switch chapter; and, honestly, if you're going to call your game 'Space Marine', you're going to pick the most generic chapter of all, aren't you!

(now, if we're thinking of untapped 40k factions in video games, what I actually want is for a developer to pick up the license and make a Solitaire-starring assassination-em-up. Murder! A diverse range of the Eldar's enemies. Be! The most brightly-coloured ninja in the universe)

16 minutes ago, K said:

In terms of factions, I wish someone would make a game about these guys from the original Rogue Trader book:

E94F417D-6E30-4D85-B4A4-99D5D313F03F.thumb.png.e0d21e03293e98ec39a9f3884ff48edb.png

I recognise Noel Edmonds, Bobby Ball, Dennis Quaid and Stan Laurel, but I'm not sure who the others are.

• 5 months later...
10 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

First was superb.

I mean, it maybe wasn't *actually* superb, but I loved it regardless and the multiplayer was surprisingly good.

You were right first time, it was superb, it just hit at that weird time where if a game wasn't one of the games then it wouldn't get a fair shake.

See also how Dragons Dogma and Nier got dogpiled on even before release and didn't really get their dues until years after the fact.

For years on podcasts I kept hearing people borderline apologising for liking Space Marine and doing the whole "sometimes you just want a solid 6 out of 10 game". But it wasn't a 6 out of 10 game, it was one of the best action games of the generation.

When everyone was posting those "if they made Doom now" memes and complaining about modern 360 era shooter design, and there was fucking Space Marine jump-packing down in the middle of it all and wrecking shit with abandon.

5 minutes ago, matt0 said:

When everyone was posting those "if they made Doom now" memes and complaining about modern 360 era shooter design, and there was fucking Space Marine jump-packing down in the middle of it all and wrecking shit with abandon.

I mean, Space Marine is still very much (then-)modern shooter design — funnelled setpiece action is 100% its thing, it's not really comparable to Doom's labyrinths of combat, which is what all those memes were about.

I mean, it's perfectly good fun, and I'd 100% choose its combat over the mediocre action of games like Uncharted, but it's no antidote to rollercoaster shooter design!

11 minutes ago, Wiper said:

I mean, Space Marine is still very much (then-)modern shooter design — funnelled setpiece action is 100% its thing, it's not really comparable to Doom's labyrinths of combat, which is what all those memes were about.

I mean, it's perfectly good fun, and I'd 100% choose its combat over the mediocre action of games like Uncharted, but it's no antidote to rollercoaster shooter design!

Fair enough. I meant it more from the angle of excessive tutorialising, stop / start pacing, drip feeding of action and constant distractions from the core gameplay, which was part of those memes too. 

Space Marine did have some of that but it's minimal.

Don't get me wrong, I super enjoyed it (and D Dogma and Nier immediately upon playing, I'm ahead of the curve that way) but it's been a long time and my memories are generally of gratuitous slaughter and those awesome executions. Like, in memory it seems that the level design was pretty simplistic but still awesome - so I guess I'll need a replay or at least a refresher sometime soon. Time to download it right now, I guess!

One of the things I liked most was that its storytelling sidestepped the snarky wisecracking arsehole approach to characters that every other game at the time was into.  Just 'Here's a lot of enemies, we're massively outnumbered, let's kill them all anyway'. And I remember the bolter feeling appropriately powerful. And I just remembered that I got some special edition with the artbook and some medal thing...

...Yeah, I need to play it again. And I totally remember the 6 out of 10 nonsense. Translating it in my head always felt like 'If you like fun games instead of overhyped cinematic bullshit you'll probably like this.'

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got an issue I had playing games on my PC fixed (black screening on everything) and hell yeah, this is a damn fine game. That Goddamn Bolter feels absolutely excellent, and shoulder charging groups of Orks never gets old.

Chainsword XXXY, execute with B. Fun every single time.