IGNORED

UE5 - The Matrix Awakens

Boozy The Clown

Yeah, I'm itching to pull the trigger on MM. I have Spider Man for PS4 that I'm not that deep in so it'll need to be the Ultimate version so I can do the upgrade. 70 bones, seeing the city in this demo is making me real itchy.

I'm hoping on some sort of sale but I know I'll end up going for it sooner rather than later, probably after I've had a play with this demo.

Just now, Broker said:

I’d love to know if you’ve programmed a basic traffic sim because that sounds like some premium level uninformed bullshit from an armchair coder.

Heh, you've got me. Perhaps it's more involved (and therefore impressive) than I thought and gave it credit for. :)

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

Heh, you've got me. Perhaps it's more involved (and therefore impressive) than I thought and gave it credit for. :)

It really is. You start off thinking that you’ve only got one kind of entity and a finite number of behaviours so how hard could it be. And getting traffic to all move along a road in one direction is quite easy. Then you want it to change lanes and it all just starts dashing into each other, so you have to get it to check if there’s space to change lanes but it’s hard so you tell other cars to slow down when something is near them but then the car changing lanes slows down too and they all grind to a halt to you fix that but then you decide to add a second kind of cars and their dimensions are slightly different and everything starts crashing into each other again. 

Before you know it your “I’m going to make a simple road with AI cars” is hundreds of lines of code and it still doesn’t work. Crowds and traffic and large scale AI are nightmares. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Eeehh, cars stopping because they can't go any further isn't an example of good AI. It's one of the simplest examples of "if,then,else" programming. 

However...

This is more impressive, because it's clearly on a larger, city-wide scale. So while the AI is really basic, the fact it's running all over the city in real-time is, well, not fucking bad. :)

That was kind of my point, I was impressed with how far back the tailback was.

Edit: I see someone else has mentioned that traffic systems aren't simple stop/start bits of code.

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

Talking about Cyberpunk though I was wandering around the traffic and pedestrian density wishing that Cyberpunk felt this busy. Cyberpunk 2, maybe.

I've only watched the video of this, but the in-game pedestrian density is much higher on Cyberpunk than it is on this (where the sliders I saw indicate that crowd density is at 100%).

Of course, in Cyberpunk the 'vehicles' simply vanish as they get closer to you rather than get tracked all over the map, so it's swings and roundabouts.

1 hour ago, Broker said:

I’d love to know if you’ve programmed a basic traffic sim because that sounds like some premium level uninformed bullshit from an armchair coder. Simulating hundreds of independent AI actors, even with very basic behaviours, and having them reliably interact with one another in a seemingly predictable way is incredibly hard. 

If it doesn’t work, it doesn’t work. 

Did this get linked already? Digital Foundry deep dive into the demo with interesting interview and a really long vid (haven't watched all of that yet).

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-inside-the-matrix-awakens-previewing-the-future-of-gaming-graphics

I certainly learned a lot. The video really highlights a lot of the impressive details and how the tech can really benefit future game

Also we get some clarification on how they merge the film stuff with the game asset stuff in the intro, if you watch this link it jumps to the relevant bit: https://youtu.be/ib6_c6uliLg?t=1196

Here's the full Foundry vid from the start:

3 minutes ago, Popo said:

I could tell the younger Keanu was CG, but then logic dictates he has to be so I had a helping hand there. 

I thought beardy Keanu was real. The whole damn time. Fuck. 

Time for a trip to the opticians?

8 hours ago, TehStu said:

I didn't realize Unreal Engine was free (up to a daft amount of income, like Unity). For some reason I figured it was paid up front. I wish I had time to mess around with this stuff.

Not only that but that matrix city is available to developers for free to do whatever they want with it.

Great marketing!

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Time for a trip to the opticians?

I can’t tell the difference between HD and 4K, so that might genuinely be part of it! 

I don’t think I’m alone, though. The ‘meta humans’ (horrible dystopian name notwithstanding) aren’t nearly as convincing, but those models of Keanununu and Carrie-Ann Moss are beyond anything I’ve ever seen. 

The very first shots that mimic the movie are the most difficult to tell apart. But when you first see beardy Keanu he's real, then after the scenes of the movie and you see him again stood between Neo and Morpheus he's CG, but then when you see his reflection in the mirror that's the real Keanu in the mirror only. 

Carrie-Ann Moss (and everything after) is CG the whole time.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

But when you first see beardy Keanu he's real, then after the scenes of the movie and you see him again stood between Neo and Morpheus he's CG, but then when you see his reflection in the mirror that's the real Keanu in the mirror only.

Are you sure? I think I'm increasingly of the opinion that you might never see a "real" Keanu. If you do, I think it might only be the mirror one.

25 minutes ago, robdood said:

Yeah the first close up of (beardy) keanu is video, as is the one in the mirror. The hair is the give away 

Its the somewhat dead looking eyes, not quite right skin translucency and slightly stilted looking animation that don't sell it to me. There's loads of super impressive rendering tech in this showcase for sure but the uncanny valley of the cgi humans is strong.