IGNORED

UE5 - The Matrix Awakens

Boozy The Clown

13 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

I don't know what I'm meant to be doing in this. I go to the points on the (abysmal) map and there's nothing there. 

When you get to the place marked on the map there will be a column of particles risinf from the floor. Go the the column and there will be a plaque with some info about the demo, or in the case of the yellow markers, the option to switch between day and night.

9 minutes ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

Sorry, clearly there are points on the map for absolutely no reason. 

It tells you straight away on the plaque as soon as you spawn. Find the other plaques to find out more about the demo. 

It’s a tech demo. An impressive looking world you can walk / drive around in. That’s it. 

2 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

It tells you straight away on the plaque as soon as you spawn. Find the other plaques to find out more about the demo. 

It’s a tech demo. An impressive looking world you can walk / drive around in. That’s it. 

Like gone home

20 hours ago, Spacehost said:

What gets me is how the engine seems to have matched the visual identity of the films so closely- usually you’d get pretty close with models and animation but the depth of field and angles and so on would look all weird and videogamey and the colour would be wrong and all that.

That's the impressive part for me too. It pretty much nails the look.

Not every game made in UE5 is going to have that near-iconic reference point, so I'm not expecting trees to be pulled up, but it's a very impressive piece of tech that makes me wish there was a proper Matrix game on the horizon.

I love how amazing this is for what it is. Both the demo itself as a Matrix thing and because it's a demo for free to use middleware.

These sorts of tools are now the starting point for many. For free. That's incredible.

What impressed me as much as the visuals was the AI traffic.

If you go on the freeway overpass and block the road with a car, you can make the traffic build up into a massive tailback. You can then pan back with the free cam and see how long the tailback builds, with the traffic all behaving quite realistically.

15 minutes ago, Reynard said:

If you go on the freeway overpass and block the road with a car, you can make the traffic build up into a massive tailback. You can then pan back with the free cam and see how long the tailback builds, with the traffic all behaving quite realistically.

I went as high as I could and focused on a bus on the freeway, tracking it as far as I could until it was almost too small to see. Then I zoomed down to it as to see if it despawned or anything - nope, no trickery involved. It seems like the AI extends really far away from the camera’s position. Could it be that the traffic is actually active all over the island no matter where the player is?

14 minutes ago, Reynard said:

Eeehh, cars stopping because they can't go any further isn't an example of good AI. It's one of the simplest examples of "if,then,else" programming. 

However...

1 minute ago, Pob said:

I went as high as I could and focused on a bus on the freeway, tracking it as far as I could until it was almost too small to see. Then I zoomed down to it as to see if it despawned or anything - nope, no trickery involved. It seems like the AI extends really far away from the camera’s position. Could it be that the traffic is actually active all over the island no matter where the player is?

This is more impressive, because it's clearly on a larger, city-wide scale. So while the AI is really basic, the fact it's running all over the city in real-time is, well, not fucking bad. :)

13 minutes ago, Pob said:

yes. That’s one of their tech tricks. No disappearing pedestrians.

They do track all the positions for the AI, its on one of the plaques. City Skylines (Sim City type game) does basically the same thing, in that game it tracks thousands of AI pedestrians/drivers as well. But the main difference here is that in Skylines to save performance, the detailed simulation of their behaviour is only done once you get in close. Up until that point the game is calculating AI positions etc in rough terms and populating traffic dynamically when you get to a zoomed in enough level, from what I recall. But it looks like in this tech demo its still doing all the 'detailed' AI work regardless of how far out its happening from the player (I know pedstrians and traffic aren't exactly HAL 9000 level stuff).

I did notice that there is a draw distance limit on traffic but its very far. I went up as far as I could and looked down at roads, and I could see the cars disappearing in the distance but quite far out and very small. I wonder if they made even smaller car models whether they could maintain the illusion. I love how in GTA 5 you see the traffic really far off and the headlights on the overhead map view, but that's a faked view that doesn't correspond to the actual vehicles. In something like this tech demo you could actually do that. And as for Cyberpunks way of dealing with that issue.... well, lets not talk about that :lol:

Talking about Cyberpunk though I was wandering around the traffic and pedestrian density wishing that Cyberpunk felt this busy. Cyberpunk 2, maybe.

Watching some videos discussing this, DF etc and my god, the level of detail is insane. This is some exciting shit. Imagine what we're going to be playing in the next couple of years. Incredible.

I've downloaded it for both my Series S and PS5, really looking forward to firing it up and having a good look.

Yeah my biggest takeaway from this demo other than admittedly amazing visuals, lighting, etc. is the density of city, it’s architecture, traffic and so on, and the persistence of it all.

It’s only when you play around with it a little that this aspect hits you, because we’re so used to games featuring open worlds where things just disappear, or shift to a different view giving the impression of far off traffic, or pedestrians. It just makes it all feel that much more stable and believable.

It is making me want to play Miles Morales too I must admit. 

8 minutes ago, Flub said:

That's worth a play. Especially for a stroll around at ground level. A very good game.

I’m going to ask for it for Christmas I think, I loved the first one on PS4 and I’d imagine it’s quite step up on PS5.

56 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

They do track all the positions for the AI, its on one of the plaques. City Skylines (Sim City type game) does basically the same thing, in that game it tracks thousands of AI pedestrians/drivers as well. But the main difference here is that in Skylines to save performance, the detailed simulation of their behaviour is only done once you get in close. Up until that point the game is calculating AI positions etc in rough terms and populating traffic dynamically when you get to a zoomed in enough level, from what I recall. But it looks like in this tech demo its still doing all the 'detailed' AI work regardless of how far out its happening from the player (I know pedstrians and traffic aren't exactly HAL 9000 level stuff).

AI and Games did a good video about Cities Skylines. Its pedestrian route planning system is explained from 8:00, and the traffic simulation from about 12:15.

That video doesn't mention different levels of detail at different camera zoom levels. But it talks about how Cities Skylines keeps track of every citizen's home, car ownership, and place of school/work, and calculates the fastest route to their destination (by car or public transport) based on that. But it can only do these detailed calculations for a certain subset of the city's population. And for traffic simulation, it updates the AI simulation four times a second, but renders the vehicle movement to look smoother.

Obviously a simulation that updates four times a second is perfectly acceptable for a strategy game where you're only observing things moving in precalculated patterns, but would be far too low res for something like this Matrix tech demo where it has to cope with direct interaction and collisions.