IGNORED

UE5 - The Matrix Awakens

Boozy The Clown

Some dude on resetera (lol) going radge because the interiors through windows don't look the best.

Like mate come on now.

Wait until he finds out they’re not even there.

(there are no interiors, the windows are a flat opaque poly with an interesting shader)

Can't say I was totally blown away, but the lighting was very impressive, especially how you can change the global illumination in real-time. The chase scene does look pretty awesome as well and of course that its all running in engine is very cool. Obviously from a technical standpoint its neat how busy the city is, how many cars there are, the AI running it all and so forth - but that's not overly exciting to me, aside from the underlying potential. But this is such a focused tech demo I will be surprised to see anything complex come up with results like these. Stuff like GTA has so much more going on that the tech has to deal with. But hey, look at what happened at the end of PS3 and PS4 lifecycle and how far they pushed things to realism. For more focussed games we could be looking at some insanely great stuff here. 

Is the actual movie stuff at the start all in-engine then, even the very start? I thought Beardy Keanu transformed into CGI Keanu and it was quite obvious, but was I actually wrong? If the shots linked above are really not from the film and are computer generated, I'm blown away by that. Either way, beardy CGI Keanu looked very good, Carrie Anne Moss looked a bit ropey because of uncanny valley but the shots in the car during the chase were great if you ignore the actual character models.

If people want another insane example of tech, check out the new trailer for Senuas Sage - Hellblade 2 from the Game Awards, running all in-engine. Total madness.

What gets me is how the engine seems to have matched the visual identity of the films so closely- usually you’d get pretty close with models and animation but the depth of field and angles and so on would look all weird and videogamey and the colour would be wrong and all that.

Didn’t The Mandalorian use UE4 for virtual cinematography? I guess the engine devs have learned a lot about making movies as a result.

43 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Imagine a GTA running on this tech, or a Spidey game, or think about what it could do if it wasn’t chasing photorealism.

Spidey on PS5 is pretty much what you'd get from this if you don't chase photo realism. Cyberpunk is even closer. This demo is definitely better visually than those games, but the margin isn't as large as some here are implying. 

I mean yeah, but this is new and essentially still at the start of next gen. We've an interesting tendency to revere early titles.

Plus, the point is UE5 gives everyone these tools. Or, maybe everyone else has things like procedural humans and the Middleware here is just catching up. I'm not an expert, obviously.

23 minutes ago, Isaac said:

I still think Cyberpunk on PC with all the bells and whistles looks better than this, purely graphically, but the tech behind this is leaps and bounds ahead of Cyberpunk, from a procedural perspective.

There are aspects of cyberpunk sure (some of the ray tracing has really subtle effects) but it’s not done anything like the in-car chase sequence - just before you get control - in terms of hitting the same peak standard. Or the building detail.

more importantly, cyberpunk had how many hundreds of people working on it for how many years? This obviously had a large budget, and a lot of background tooling, but the two won’t compare.

23 minutes ago, footle said:

There are aspects of cyberpunk sure (some of the ray tracing has really subtle effects) but it’s not done anything like the in-car chase sequence

You're kidding, right? That on rails sequence in this boils down to selecting specific points on the screen, you're not actually aiming a gun. Toward the end of that section I stopped using the left stick entirely and just held down the right trigger until the target blew up, then let go and held the trigger again until the next target blew up. To play, that section felt like a Mega-CD game. Sure, cinematically it looks better than anything Cyberpunk did with their on rails car chases, but at least in those you could aim your gun and enjoy at least some, y'know, gameplay.

Just now, Thor said:

Hmmm, he's not, but I can see now he is talking about the visuals only and not the gameplay.

Yeah, I edited it. It was obvious he was talking about the visual fidelity of cyperpunk versus this tech demo, rather than the gameplay. I'm actually surprised they bothered adding any "game play" to this at all, it didn't add anything and allowed folks to complain about the lack of gameplay.

7 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Obviously from a technical standpoint its neat how busy the city is, how many cars there are, the AI running it all and so forth - but that's not overly exciting to me, aside from the underlying potential. But this is such a focused tech demo I will be surprised to see anything complex come up with results like these. Stuff like GTA has so much more going on that the tech has to deal with. But hey, look at what happened at the end of PS3 and PS4 lifecycle and how far they pushed things to realism. For more focussed games we could be looking at some insanely great stuff here. 

In the FXGuide article they talk about this.  They designed the demo to leave plenty of CPU headroom for more complex gameplay.  What they don't say is if they managed to have any RAM left over, especially on the S...

8 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Can't say I was totally blown away, but the lighting was very impressive, especially how you can change the global illumination in real-time. The chase scene does look pretty awesome as well and of course that its all running in engine is very cool. Obviously from a technical standpoint its neat how busy the city is, how many cars there are, the AI running it all and so forth - but that's not overly exciting to me, aside from the underlying potential. But this is such a focused tech demo I will be surprised to see anything complex come up with results like these. Stuff like GTA has so much more going on that the tech has to deal with. But hey, look at what happened at the end of PS3 and PS4 lifecycle and how far they pushed things to realism. For more focussed games we could be looking at some insanely great stuff here. 

Is the actual movie stuff at the start all in-engine then, even the very start? I thought Beardy Keanu transformed into CGI Keanu and it was quite obvious, but was I actually wrong? If the shots linked above are really not from the film and are computer generated, I'm blown away by that. Either way, beardy CGI Keanu looked very good, Carrie Anne Moss looked a bit ropey because of uncanny valley but the shots in the car during the chase were great if you ignore the actual character models.

If people want another insane example of tech, check out the new trailer for Senuas Sage - Hellblade 2 from the Game Awards, running all in-engine. Total madness.

I think you echo my thoughts completely. 

It all does show that people should be very, very excited about what this console generation will do over their life-times.

I think it's fairly amazing that I've got two machines that each cost under £500, that can do something like this that just makes me smile about the future potential!

8 hours ago, Thor said:

Spidey on PS5 is pretty much what you'd get from this if you don't chase photo realism. Cyberpunk is even closer. This demo is definitely better visually than those games, but the margin isn't as large as some here are implying. 

Yeah played both to completion and don’t agree.

It’s amazing but this chunk of area, with high repetition and little interaction/animation is 25GB (PS5 discs are 100GB max)

This is basically the Watch Dogs demo again with everything cranked up to max. Works with a small controlled area but it’s just not feasible for a full AAA game quite yet but obviously it’s a good indication of where we’re headed. 

Some of it was very impressive.

The frame rate was a bit Xbox 360 at times.

Cut scenes and models looked wonderful.

The problem is when you get into the open world it doesn't look that far off where we are now but I guess the systems Epic have developed will mean it would be easier for developers to get there quickly.

I think when you go open world you kinda take the last 30% of shine and sparkle away from what would be capable with a linear experience. 

GTA V kinda blows my mind more now as I see tech and developers struggle to match it.

Everything about this is great! Also as soon as engines like this are in full production, we’ll totally be back to 30 fps land with games at this level of ambition. 

The one little thing that takes me out of it all, and is a bit annoying is the hitching on scene transitions. It’s very obvious with every camera cut, it’s culling everything off the screen, then rerendering everything fresh and it’s just not quite fast enough. 

A point towards the 1 shot God of War approach! Not only does it look cool, but it side steps this issue. 

I mean this looks incredible obviously, however here are some additional thoughts presented in a bullet-point list so that you may disagree with them in convenient bite-sized chunks:

- Daytime looks amazing. Night-time less so (which is probably why they’re saying it’s experimental). It looks marginally better than Spider-Man on the PS5 at ground level, but worse from the air. And there's a lot less going on in this compared to Spidey. However, it's interesting that the DF article says that it's not really been optimised to the standard a game would be.

- The tricks they are pulling to cover up the lower resolution absolutely work.

- 30fps is completely fine... most of the time. Swinging the camera around shows the limitations though.

- I'm willing to bet someone else’s left bollock that not all of the opening section is real-time. The first shot of present day Keanu where he starts to walk behind the armchair, and the shot of him in the mirror are video. 

18 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Gears of war will be epic on this engine.

The Coalition actually got some on-the-job training working on this demo, mainly making sure it could work fully on the XSS:

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/12/10/how-the-coalition-worked-with-epic-to-bring-the-matrix-awakens-to-life-on-xbox-series-xs/

“Unreal Engine 5 has continued to improve from the “Early Access” version over the last several months, both in terms of performance and quality. The Matrix Awakens: An Unreal Engine 5 Experience is an excellent example of all of UE5’s systems coming together to make something special and noticeably next-gen,” says Rayner. “Most of all, it really got us excited for the potential of Raytracing for shadows and Lumen, Nanite at scale with Virtual Shadow Maps, and the new World Partition System tying it all together. With these technical advances, it’s never been a better time to be a gamer.”

It's impressive but really sterile at the same time. I usually love poking around videogame locations but this is so lifeless and devoid of character I got bored looking around after about five minutes. It shows just how much goes into making a location feel alive and atmospheric beyond admittedly gorgeous lighting and nice textures. 

This is immense! But who is it an advert for? The Matrix, or Unreal Engine, or both, and just some fun PR buzz? I also unfortunately, don't have a next gen console, so have only watched the 4k youtube. But it's far, far nicer looking than cyberpunk 4k with RTX.  But as with nvidia tech demos of old, they end up looking much better than any games that follow. Because creating "unreal" graphics in a sandbox is a lot les resource consuming. This, however, does seem to present a legitimate leap to true next gen graphics, touched upon, and now expanded from the original UE5 tech demo, and even better, on what is essentially almost 3 year old PC hardware. This is an absolute win for us graphics/PCMR whores!

31 minutes ago, IcEBuRN said:

This is immense! But who is it an advert for? The Matrix, or Unreal Engine, or both, and just some fun PR buzz? I also unfortunately, don't have a next gen console, so have only watched the 4k youtube. But it's far, far nicer looking than cyberpunk 4k with RTX.  But as with nvidia tech demos of old, they end up looking much better than any games that follow. Because creating "unreal" graphics in a sandbox is a lot les resource consuming. This, however, does seem to present a legitimate leap to true next gen graphics, touched upon, and now expanded from the original UE5 tech demo, and even better, on what is essentially almost 3 year old PC hardware. This is an absolute win for us graphics/PCMR whores!

its a bit different from Nvidia tech demos of old, because there is some marginal game interactivity going on within the world, rather than just a completely static environment and a controlled camera.

or marbles RTX that runs at 10fps on anything less than a 3090 and has obviously memory management issues (gets slower over time).