IGNORED

UE5 - The Matrix Awakens

Boozy The Clown

Was impressed by the visuals and animation, but dismissive playing the shooting part -thinking it was all very much on rails 'interactive movie' Then you get out of the car and start walking about...Amazing!

My first thoughts were - please make the next Yakuza game look like this.

Uncanny valley as fuck on the Keanu and Carrie models near the start (the change between real Keanu and cgi was pretty noticable) but overall, shitting fuck games are going to look amazing by end of this gen!

I just want a new Matrix game now :( I love it so much.  Had goosebumps pretty all the way through the action bit of that footage ❤️

55 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

Absolutely bananas. Loved the switching from film footage to UE5 to try and mess with your head. I don't know why they used the worst Neo model for the main dialogue in the car though.

Apparently that crap Neo model is the one used for the Burly Brawl in Reloaded.

Top tips for free roam:

Go into the menu and turn off the green matrix filter immediately.

When flying about tap R1 a few times to get top speed, it’s plenty fast down at street level.

On the map there are three yellow circles, find any of them in the world for a plaque (with a green spotlight when you get nearby) that lets you switch between day and night mode.

For Max photorealism, go into the menu and turn off the pedestrians. Flying or driving about with just cars and the city is the most next gen thing I’ve seen.

Also, (according to one of the plaques) somewhere in the city is a hidden jump park with ramps for doing car stunts. I’ve not found the park yet.

What is really exciting reading the Digitial foundry write up is that this was produced by a fairly small team using some of UE5's procedural tech.  The cost of development has gone up with each Gen which limited the really flashy stuff to a few very large teams so anything which can help smaller teams achieve these kind of results has to be a good thing

3 hours ago, AI said:

Everyone happy to go back to 30fps if games look like this?

Considering how close Cyberpunk 2077 on PC is to this, and with a much higher frame rate, the answer is no from me.

That said, this does look rather good indeed. Looks even better if you turn the matrix filter off. However, I was less impressed with the city at night, Spider-man with full ray-tracing is pretty close if you ask me, in motion at least, Spidey also has far better water than in this demo - but that's nitpicking. And as mentioned, the switch from real actors to the renders is crystal clear to see.

Here are some shots I took, spoilered for those who want to "see it for themselves" ;)

Spoiler

FGP9k4fXIAAY2Uf?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

FGP9kmxXsA0wg5O?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

FGP9kT4X0AAZd5E?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

FGP9j-5WQAEHVC4?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

FGP-5DxXwAY8jdi?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

FGP-4wJWYAMOL4A?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

This is just utterly extraordinary. Can you imagine telling younger you that you'd be playing this? The sequence in the car had a real enough looking Trinity that, hud notwithstanding, someone glancing at the TV might assume you had one of the films on. 

And then the actual city, holy shit. I thought we'd nailed draw distance in stuff like Watch Dogs Legion, but no, we've really nailed draw distance now. Finally approaching a density of people/cars that makes the whole thing believable. I can't wait to properly see a GTA or Watch Dogs in this sort of tech. But then, thinking more, it might be more interesting to see smaller worlds. If you were stuck down in the dingy side streets of, say, Los Angeles 2019, you could surely have a believable looking Blade Runner. Or KOTOR. 

1 minute ago, TehStu said:

This is just utterly extraordinary. Can you imagine telling younger you that you'd be playing this? The sequence in the car had a real enough looking Trinity that, hud notwithstanding, someone glancing at the TV might assume you had one of the films on. 

And then the actual city, holy shit. I thought we'd nailed draw distance in stuff like Watch Dogs Legion, but no, we've really nailed draw distance now. Finally approaching a density of people/cars that makes the whole thing believable. I can't wait to properly see a GTA or Watch Dogs in this sort of tech. But then, thinking more, it might be more interesting to see smaller worlds. If you were stuck down in the dingy side streets of, say, Los Angeles 2019, you could surely have a believable looking Blade Runner. Or KOTOR. 

It'll work because of asset repetition. How well it'd work for a unique city with lots of landmarks, I'm less sure.

Just now, footle said:

It'll work because of asset repetition. How well it'd work for a unique city with lots of landmarks, I'm less sure.

I don't think it's repeating assets, they're likely using Houdini to make the buildings and importing them, as was used to build the city in Spiderman. That has a lot of semi-procedural generation tech for buildings.

1 minute ago, footle said:

I think there's a lot more repetition in reality than we realize. But yeah, they'll probably have to pick and choose where this works. I assume, at least, things like people and traffic can be used regardless. Have you ever just sat and watched it? You're doing well if you spot cars that aren't black, silver, white or blue over here. Throw in the cab color if you're in a big city. 

FXguide have a good write up.  Gives you an idea of how much work went in. 

https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/the-matrix-is-unreal/

3 hours ago, layten said:

I would suspect they don't want people ripping the assets and using them for other things.

The city assets without the Matrix bits will be available for free when UE5 launches properly next year.

2 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

The city assets without the Matrix bits will be available for free when UE5 launches properly next year.

I was thinking more of the actor likenesses. God only knows what certain parts of the internet would do with such realistic models of famous actors. 

5 minutes ago, layten said:

I was thinking more of the actor likenesses. God only knows what certain parts of the internet would do with such realistic models of famous actors. 

The thought of a video equivalent of fan fiction is slightly terrifying.