IGNORED

UE5 - The Matrix Awakens

Boozy The Clown

Eurogamer are saying this is amazing too

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-12-09-the-matrix-awakens-is-a-breathtaking-demonstration-of-what-unreal-engine-5-can-do

Digital Foundry breaks down the tech

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2021-the-matrix-ue5-demo-is-incredible

I'm going to check it out on PS5 today, I guess seeing will be believing!

You know when you see those bullshit gameplay demonstrations where you know it's pre rendered to give an idea of what the game is like. This looks exactly like those pre rendered things especially when there's real footage in there. It keeps looking like that when it gives you control. It also keeps looking like that when it lets you explore the bits that in other tech demos would have been walls painted to look like cities and instead is an entire city space.

It has been a long time since I've seen a tech demo that's this much of a show off that wasn't directly part of a game.

I honestly thought it was some jiggery-pokery and they were running some FMV or something, with the cars you were shooting overlaid. Then fuck me if you don't start walking and flying around. Then on top of that you can take photos with a photo mode and adjust the traffic etc. Very impressive. Am I being greedy asking for something alone the lines of The Crew 3 to look like that for every city on the U.S?

Edit: hang on, that wasn't the real Keanu Reeves at the start?

6 minutes ago, SteveH said:

Edit: hang on, that wasn't the real Keanu Reeves at the start?

Bits of it might have been? He does have an unexpressive forehead.

It's more the initial bit in the car that surprised me. On first glance I thought they had just shunted the actors in, though there was a noticeable drop in quality once the shooting started.

JFC, this is incredible. This is what it used to be like buying a new console - that feeling of playing a new game and being almost unable to believe that it’s possible. Weird that we’re over a year into this generation and the first really next-gen thing is a tech demo that’s being used to promote a film, but man alive, this is impressive. 

16 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Since no one's linked it:

Unexpectedly funny in parts too

Makes it even more confusing that 343 didn’t shift development of Infinite to Unreal when they had the chance.

30 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Quite cool, the frame rate isn’t great though, it really slows when you crash a car. Flying around the city was nice too, but was a bit slow. Like piloting a Cessna in Flight Simulator. 

Keep tapping the speed button, then fly over the roads and up the sides of buildings.