IGNORED

1AM - The Geoff, Reggie and Kojima Show - 2021 (otherwise known as TheGameAwards)

Capwn

1 hour ago, Alan Stock said:

I just skipped through the vod to watch all the trailers, the rest of the show seemed cringe as usual.

Yet you still forgot to mention your namesake, Alan!

I need to have a proper catch up this morning, but AW2 looked great. I think I’d have them rather stuck with horror action and refined it, but I’ve got faith in Remedy to deliver the goods either way.

It's all self-congratulatory bollocks and never less than embarrassing to watch every single year. 

There's got to be a better way of doing this sort of thing. 

Possibly by not doing it at all, and just having a nice cosy review of the year with a few 'well dones' given to people without the need for all this mock-Oscars rubbish.

I know that the trailers part of the show is what gets people to watch but the lack of coverage about what actually won awards is a bit sad. Would an article listing the winners really do so little traffic that it's not worth bothering with at all? 

5 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

The awards are just a sham cover for the new announcements. They might as well do away with them. 

It's the other way round. The announcements are just there because Geoff is in the strange position of thinking his Game Awards are something worthwhile, but also knowing no-one would watch them if he didn't pad them with some trailers. The Oscars don't feel the need to surround its envelope-opening with trailers for next year's movies. The Brits don't have a suite of bands appearing on stage announcing there's another album on the way. But no-one would give a single shit about the Game Awards on their own.

I've also got a pretty low Geoff tolerance level.

Ran out of Steam near the end, but I saw a lot of things I liked. I think Forbidden West looks absolutely stellar, not as graphically impressive as Hellblade 2 but far more interesting gameplay-wise based on what was shown. Alan Wake 2 is a cool announcement, even though we all knew it was coming. That it's full-blown survival horror is a big win. Telltale doing an Expanse game is great. The whole Cuphead segment put a big smile on my face. Both Planet of Lana and Somerville look like they're gonna be amazing sci-fi indies. Also love From's story trailers. And while I'm not sure ARC Raiders is my type of game, it certainly looks the part.

Oh, and always cool to see Returnal (and Dread) win something.

Ah yes Alan Wake 2, we all knew it was coming but as it was no surprise and didn't really show anything new it didn't interest me much. I also skipped the Horizon trailer because of spoilers, half the fun is going into a weird and wonderful world blind.

As for the awards themselves now I've seen the list I'm happy with most of it. Cant comment on Forza having not played the new one. Very pleased to see Returnal and FFXIV getting their props though.

40 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

The better way is not staying up and just watching the trailers in the morning.

Oh, the only reason I was awake was because I had explosive diarrhea.

It really was a toss up between which I found more painful.

On 10/12/2021 at 09:30, Uncle Mike said:

The Oscars don't feel the need to surround its envelope-opening with trailers for next year's movies.

Given the trajectory of viewership for the Oscars, it might only be a matter of time until they might have to resort to that as looking at famous people glammed up for hours isn't doing it anymore. They do have to resort to some form of entertainment, apart from the actual awarding of worthy awards though, which indicates that the general public really do not care that much for straight awards shows in general.

The Oscars don't feel the need to surround its envelope-opening with trailers for next year's movies. The Brits don't have a suite of bands appearing on stage announcing there's another album on the way. But no-one would give a single shit about the Game Awards on their own.

How many people watch THOSE live either though? 

Maybe I'm out of touch but I'd have thought the majority check out who won the next day or watch the highlights.

I also have a low tolerance of Geoff Keeley. I think he might have been ok once but he's clearly drinking his own kool aid and thinks he can run the equivalent of an E3 himself. 

The Oscars do all the red carpet fashion show stuff don’t they, it’s definitely not just about the awards. In fact a lot of the TMZ, Vanity Fair celeb gossip crowd probably turn off after everyone is sat down, as I doubt they give a shit about a lot of the films nominated. 

It's the other way round. The announcements are just there because Geoff is in the strange position of thinking his Game Awards are something worthwhile, but also knowing no-one would watch them if he didn't pad them with some trailers. The Oscars don't feel the need to surround its envelope-opening with trailers for next year's movies. The Brits don't have a suite of bands appearing on stage announcing there's another album on the way. But no-one would give a single shit about the Game Awards on their own.

I've also got a pretty low Geoff tolerance level.

I also think it's that the Game Awards wouldn't be financially viable without the advertisements so that need to be put in place despite it detracting from the enjoyment of it.

The real industry equivalents to the Oscars are either the BAFTA Games Awards or the DICE awards (run by the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences), and I don't think I've ever seen anybody create a thread for either of those...

So clearly Geoff does know what he is doing with the way he's structured his MTV movie awards show.

• 3 weeks later...

Keighley put out some PR for the Geoffs, whatever he is doing is apparently working pretty well:

The Game Awards said Monday that its eighth annual show on Dec. 9 reached 85 million livestreams, up from 2020’s 83 million and the highest to date.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/digital/the-game-awards-record-setting-85-million-livestreams-1235064736/

While the traditional awards shows for traditional media are going in the exact opposite direction, The Oscars dropped out of the Top 100 most watched broadcast shows in the US for the first time ever last year:

Like we mentioned above, the glitziest televised ceremonies in the industry were awarded the prize for biggest ratings nightmares of 2021. February’s Golden Globes bombed 62.3% compared with the previous year’s show; in March, the Grammys nosedived 53% compared with 2020; and then the Oscars in April spiraled downward 58% compared with last year. While the Emmys in September and the American Music Awards in November reversed a pattern of steady declines, most award shows this year couldn’t win back audiences that have stopped watching what were once guaranteed ratings hits. Perhaps the combination of Zoom- and virtual- (or hybrid-) ceremony fatigue was partly to blame, but these shows are becoming more irrelevant and outdated to audiences, especially younger viewers. And because many of the shows had COVID-19 restrictions, not even fashionistas could enjoy a memorable outfit or two on the red carpet.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/ratings/top-rated-shows-2021-ncis-yellowstone-squid-game-1235143671/