IGNORED

Ubisoft announces rebadged cosmetic tradeable DLC for dummies...sorry NFTS!

Uzi

I didn't care when rarity and exclusivity were already selling points of pre-order cosmetic junk - I'd maybe equip it for a while and then swap it out for something more interesting or useful - I definitely don't care when rarity and exclusivity result in a tiny number printed on the back of a helmet that nobody will see until I record my own gameplay and timestamp the moments that you can see it.

E: oh and of course blockchain tech is terrible and we're burning the planet for the sake of "owning" digital fluff, etc.

I've spent probably 800 bucks on Valorant skins and I can't do shit with them. I'd love to sell them on. It's greedy for studios to not allow secondary trading so this great news for the consumer.

You old farts are just getting left behind and that's ok.

I was wondering how game publishers would get around the need to generate thousands of unique assets to sell as NFTs (asset generation is expensive, which is why NFTs are mostly incredibly bad looking palette swap situations).

Ubisofts solution is to create 1 asset and number a limited amount of them. Smart!

I've seen a lot of crap ideas in tech over the years but NFTs are absolute top tier shite.

11 hours ago, deerokus said:

Why does this need to use Blockchain at all? There's nothing stopping them doing it just as a normal video game item just tied to your account.

I guess that wouldn't attract money laundering techbros though.

Like literally everything NFT, it doesn't.

7 minutes ago, skittles said:

I've spent probably 800 bucks on Valorant skins and I can't do shit with them. I'd love to sell them on. It's greedy for studios to not allow secondary trading so this great news for the consumer.

You old farts are just getting left behind and that's ok.

:lol: 

Also you can *shock* trade and sell digital shit online already without NFTS ya brainwizard

https://www.mtgotraders.com/store/index.html

Each Digit is a unique collectible that features its own serial number for others to see in-game, also keeping track of its current and previous owners for years to come, making players an integral part of the game's history,

I love a unique serial number I can show to my friends.

I once had an integer used by the mathematician Paul Erdős, I'm a part of maths history.

This is going to be some shit show in terms of kids wanting their parents to buy them some weapon skin, but now with added belief they could become millionaires and less protection for parents when their 13 year old manages to purchase one skin second hand for £20,000 using their credit card.

Of course, there is a very valid business case for this from the point of view of the publishers and fans of the game, and that is uniquely identifying weapon skins. 

@Capwn mentioned this before (does he work for Ubisoft?) - if someone wants to buy a particular weapon (or hat, or trousers I guess!) as a digital souvenir, because it was used in a particular/significant game, this is a mechanism for doing so. To some people this will be very valuable, to others it will be worthless, but I find it hard to dismiss that as a valid function.

There are other issues as observed, but I guess we’ll find out if they are going to stand up in reality…or court!

6 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Of course, there is a very valid business case for this from the point of view of the publishers and fans of the game, and that is uniquely identifying weapon skins. 

@Capwn mentioned this before (does he work for Ubisoft?) - if someone wants to buy a particular weapon (or hat, or trousers I guess!) as a digital souvenir, because it was used in a particular/significant game, this is a mechanism for doing so. To some people this will be very valuable, to others it will be worthless, but I find it hard to dismiss that as a valid function.

There are other issues as observed, but I guess we’ll find out if they are going to stand up in reality…or court!

But... it doesn't need to be an nft. They could do that just in the same way as any other game item if they wanted. Diablo's auction house, steam etc have done it for years.

That said, establishing a commercial value for tradeable in game items might hasten regulation of gambling-based microtransactions, so hopefully it's a case of careful what you wish for, Ubisoft.