Chorus. Multiplatform story based space shooter

Flub

The controls feel weird to start with, but make a lot more sense when you start getting more abilities. The fights get quite spectacular.

I did drift away from this after a few hours though. It's good, but I found it got a little repetitive over time. I'll probably go back to it though.

4 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Can't adjust to the controls in this, feels like I should swap Left and Right around. Weirdly unintuitive.

I felt the same... So I swapped left and right around in the options.

2 minutes ago, Alask said:

Probably a massively dumb question, but how do you strafe? Either it's non-obvious when you're doing it or I'm just terrible.

At very low speed you can do tiny strafe with the speed stick left and right. For more aiming in a different direction than travel style of strafing you'll need to acquire the drift rite which is that and more. It's also the thing that made the whole game click for me as it's basically the cocky pilot button. 

OK, installed and first impressions are ... pretty good. I inverted the Y axis - bloody heathens - and then it fell into place.

Done the first couple of story missions, plus some side missions, so have a few dogfights under my belt now. First pirate dogfight encounter gave me some grief until I got back into the swing of 3D thinking. I like the cluttered environments - plenty of tactical cover, and weaving through asteroids and space stations in dogfights feels good.

The way the missions are doled out via comms chatter seems very familiar; can't put my finger on what it reminds me of. I quite like the protagonist's inner monologue, especially the whispered commentary from her, uh, secret side. Works well with the backstory I've seen so far.

Nice graphics - seem quite shiny and bright; very old-school feel to the game. 

I think it's a keeper! Cheers, rllmuk.

It sounds like you have still to hit the real start of the game @smac but you won’t be far off :) I didn’t go back to it after the ray tracing and dual sense update so really should play through again given the resurgence it’s had over the last week or so. 

Got a refund after 39 mins. The graphics were decent but not exactly spectacular, and while the controls were nicely intuitive, I did not enjoy the dog fights because I've played games like this a zillion times already. But the killer? I really did not like the third person view - I like being in the cockpit. Also, the lead character's constant whispering absolutely did my head in.

Glad I tried it, but it's not for me. 

I don't think a cockpit view would work for this game. As your skills develops you start doing all sorts of fancy manouvers that would be very hard to get your head around in first person.

I don't think it gives the best first impression really. It's solid at the start, but it's not until you start unlocking new skills that it becomes something a bit different from your average space shooter.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Got a refund after 39 mins. The graphics were decent but not exactly spectacular, and while the controls were nicely intuitive, I did not enjoy the dog fights because I've played games like this a zillion times already. But the killer? I really did not like the third person view - I like being in the cockpit. Also, the lead character's constant whispering absolutely did my head in.

Glad I tried it, but it's not for me. 

Sorry you didn't like it - I'm really enjoying it.

I've unlocked the strafe ability, plus the second 'pounce' ability, which seems seriously OP; but dogfights are way more dramatic as a result.

If the lead character's whispering did your head in, you would not have liked it when she, uh, moves to a new ship...

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

I don't think a cockpit view would work for this game. As your skills develops you start doing all sorts of fancy manouvers that would be very hard to get your head around in first person.

Pfffft. I'm a veteran of the old Wing Commander games, you could do all sorts in those and that was cockpit view. :P

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

Pfffft. I'm a veteran of the old Wing Commander games, you could do all sorts in those and that was cockpit view. :P

Me too, and trust me it's quite different. :D

53 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

I'm finding this really tough. The phasee shift never seems to work and I seem to explode if anyone even thinks about a weapon.

I'm guessing the only solution is to buy a HOTAS One?

I have a HOTAS One but never even thought of using it for this. I haven't found it at all hard so far though, which makes me think you've missed something. Are you upgrading your ship components?

What's the phase shift? If you mean the Rite of the Hunt, I think I know what you mean about it being temperamental, but generally when I hit B it usually works. As long as you have enough energy of course.

Otherwise, just keep moving, keep your speed up and make full use of the drift trance. You can lose health quite fast if you get caught out, but don't forget about your repair ability.

Nah (@shirubagan, not Mogster).

Are you landing at stations to buy upgrades to your shields and armour? Are you searching for credit drops to have enough dosh to do so? Hit X as you pass by random looking asteroids and facilities and check out any triangles that appear on your HUD.

You also pick up various gear to put into slots - some of those will increase your energy for rites. You can also get extra boosts for installing 2, 3 or 4 items of related gear (two Guardian items, two Viper items, etc.). So the first two guardian items installed will give you a special effect that recharges one energy slot if you kill your target within 5s of 'jumping" behind them. I think the 'Crystal' items boost your rite skills and energy recovery.

And 4 Viper items gives you permanent Gatling fire - you need the Viper-classed Gatling to get that. Look for the blue icon tagging the item in the ship display.

Always be boosting to avoid fire, use drift to quickly rotate and then boost behind enemies.

1 minute ago, shirubagan said:

I have just found the laser and have upgraded my gatling once I think.

I must just be shit :lol: 

You can upgrade your hull and shields as well, which each require three upgrade units per level. You tend to find these from side missions, but they can also be bought.

3 hours ago, shirubagan said:

I have just found the laser and have upgraded my gatling once I think.

I must just be shit :lol: 

OK, early days, then - you haven't changed your ship yet?

Like Mr Gerbik says, boost when you're under fire (early game I found it better to slack off the boost to stay on their tail in pursuit, but as soon as you get another bad guy on your tail, boost away - don't get fixated on the kill).

Also, timing is important, especially for lasers; give them time to recover from cool down before taking the next shot. You can also try stripping shields with the laser, then switching to the Gat to finish off. Not that important early in the game, two laser hits are enough for most early baddies.

Something that really helped me to never really feel overwhelmed by the enemies and how they attack was to almost think of it as an action game rather than a space shooter. YEARS and repeated play throughs of DMC (3 and 5 exclusively thank you very much) conditioned me to automatically move Forsa not like a ship but like a character. As soon as you stop moving you die. Your best weapon is mobility. Use it :)

That is one (minor) weakness of Chorus for me, that it doesn’t quite work as well as it should when you are closed in. I had moments where I pulled off 360 degree drift turns taking out enemies and targets as I spun while inside but those moments were rare compared to consistent brilliance that happens in open space.

I worked out the routes through the space - the key, as always, was to keep moving - in this case in a circuit - and latch on to targets as you pass. Rite of the Storm plus laser = kill on most; or just hit them with the Rite and watch them spin into the walls and explode.

I was a little taken back that 

Spoiler

you then had to do the same again shortly after, in a different space in a flashback with no Rites other than drift trance. But that was against easier opposition.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to finishing this. That last boss was utter shite that ruined an otherwise enjoyable game. It took me almost an hour of chasing that prick through tunnels with random towers shooting out from walls and an enemy who was very difficult to hit. Then the snake. What the hell. Then having to do it again… I ended up dropping the difficulty on the final phase because it was so frustrating. 

Game 8/10

Boss fights 0/10