Jump to content
IGNORED

Sony new subscription service combining Now and Plus - Launching June


Sarlaccfood
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, rgraves said:

@Sarlaccfood But you could say the same about Sony then right - and that's also not looking at original IP like Redfall, or Contraband etc.

 

I think the days of 'MS is just about brown shooty men' are gone when you actually look at their slate of titles now. It goes from Flight Sim to Fable, and from Minecraft to Outer Worlds.

I don’t think anyone is really trying to argue that MS aren’t headed in the right direction - but this is just plain wrong imo:-

4 hours ago, BeeJay said:

I'm sure many feel the same and I personally value Sony's first party more than Microsoft's, but objective quality wise (purely western review scores), Microsoft have been significantly ahead in recent years. The Ps5 exclusives last year made up some ground but they are still some way behind. I can't see that gap closing either due to Microsoft's acquisitions and their supportive approach with those acquisitions. We know Microsoft will misstep at some point but right now they are in the front foot when it comes to first party software.

Microsoft have not been significantly ahead in recent years. That’s just nonsense. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

I don’t think anyone is really trying to argue that MS aren’t headed in the right direction - but this is just plain wrong imo:-

Microsoft have not been significantly ahead in recent years. That’s just nonsense. 

 

Yeah, that's madness.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, rgraves said:

@Sarlaccfood But you could say the same about Sony then right - and that's also not looking at original IP like Redfall, or Contraband etc.

 

I think the days of 'MS is just about brown shooty men' are gone when you actually look at their slate of titles now. It goes from Flight Sim to Fable, and from Minecraft to Outer Worlds.


I just think it’s funny that some people hold MS up as some kind of bastion of variety compared to Sony (especially when their recent big hitters were literally Forza and Halo again)

 

They both have their favourite genres and both have gaps in the catalogues. But the “everything is third person open world” line is as disingenuous as “everything is a first person shooter”. 
 

The former ignores all the VR stuff, Dreams, Gran Turismo etc just as much as the latter ignores the games you mentioned. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JPL said:

I love my Xbox and Gamepass, but what games like Last of Us, Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, etc do MS have? I always feel it’s best to own all consoles, to cover all bases, as there are definite gaps in each console makers libraries.

 

JPL! Are you ok bro? Have a glass of water :lol:

 

so-hot-santana.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:


I just think it’s funny that some people hold MS up as some kind of bastion of variety compared to Sony (especially when their recent big hitters were literally Forza and Halo again)

 

They both have their favourite genres and both have gaps in the catalogues. But the “everything is third person open world” line is as disingenuous as “everything is a first person shooter”. 
 

The former ignores all the VR stuff, Dreams, Gran Turismo etc just as much as the latter ignores the games you mentioned. 

 

It's all as much nonsense as when people say they don't like 'Nintendo games' - like that's one homogenous genre than manages to somehow span all the way from Zelda to Mario, from Splatoon to Animal Crossing, from  Smash Bros to Metroid, from Mario Kart to Xenoblade etc etc

 

Everything on the internet has, for some mental reason, to be binary. No nuance (or nuon) allowed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

 

JPL! Are you ok bro? Have a glass of water :lol:

 

so-hot-santana.gif

Course I am! There’s only you who thinks I don’t like Sony!

 

Hope you’re doing well by the way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I stepped away from this thread for a few hours and madness ensues; 'Microsoft significantly ahead', my word.

 

Let's just hope Sony move away from £70 price tags and instead goes for a more palletable premium subscription that amps up their current offering.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Microsoft is significantly ahead with the purchase of Bethesda, at least on paper.

 

They basically have the entire WRPG and console FPS genre (bar CoD - we wont talk about Battlefield) sewn up. If either of those genres are your favourite it would be an odd choice to buy a PS5 as your only console.

 

Sony are definitely in a position of weakness this generation, but again, on paper.

 

Bethesda may not deliver the quality of a Skyrim (although I would argue ID typically deliver quality) but if I was a Sony executive I would be seriously worried about the parity of the two studios going into this generation.

 

Having said that, it is all very much still to play for.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Isaac said:

bar CoD


Does your arm hurt from such a massive hand-wave?

 


 

 

Broadly speaking though I think you’re probably right and I bet the words “Killzone” and “reboot” have come up at Sony HQ a few times recently. (To which I’d personally reply “no” and “thanks” if they asked me but they won’t reply to my emails)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Sony could shock the industry and take the lead if they announce GOW:Ragnarok is going into a subscription service this year for PS4. 


and shoot themselves in the foot by not putting it on the subscription service on the PS5?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Broadly speaking though I think you’re probably right and I bet the words “Killzone” and “reboot” have come up at Sony HQ a few times recently. (To which I’d personally reply “no” and “thanks” if they asked me but they won’t reply to my emails)

It still boggles the mind that Horizon came form the same lot who made that shite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, layten said:

It still boggles the mind that Horizon came form the same lot who made that shite.

 

Steady on now! I mean the game itself might have been on the ropey side, but if you wanted to show off what next gen was at the beginning of the X1/PS4 generation then Killzone 4 blew my eyes off. It's still an extraordinary opening sequence!

 

Just...y'know...ignore the gameplay mostly...and the fact that in all the Killzone games you seemingly play as a dwarf.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JoeK said:

 

Steady on now! I mean the game itself might have been on the ropey side, but if you wanted to show off what next gen was at the beginning of the X1/PS4 generation then Killzone 4 blew my eyes off. It's still an extraordinary opening sequence!

 

Just...y'know...ignore the gameplay mostly...and the fact that in all the Killzone games you seemingly play as a dwarf.

 

 

I never bothered by the time the PS4 game came around. The PS3 games had burnt me enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/01/2022 at 20:21, Isaac said:

I think Microsoft is significantly ahead with the purchase of Bethesda, at least on paper.

 

They basically have the entire WRPG and console FPS genre (bar CoD - we wont talk about Battlefield) sewn up. If either of those genres are your favourite it would be an odd choice to buy a PS5 as your only console.

 

Sony are definitely in a position of weakness this generation, but again, on paper.

 

Bethesda may not deliver the quality of a Skyrim (although I would argue ID typically deliver quality) but if I was a Sony executive I would be seriously worried about the parity of the two studios going into this generation.

 

Having said that, it is all very much still to play for.

How much of that perception of Sony being in a slightly weaker position is based on them having announced less of what they are working on? Microsofts supposed 2023 lineup (Avowed, Perfect Dark, Contraband, Hellblade 2, Fable) looks great compared to Sonys (Spiderman 2) but theres no way that is a complete picture. Studios like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and Suckerpunch are all supposed to be starting up second or thirds teams so its not unreasonable to think we'll see those studios produce more for the PS5 than they did for the PS4. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/01/2022 at 17:59, rgraves said:

 

It's all as much nonsense as when people say they don't like 'Nintendo games' - like that's one homogenous genre than manages to somehow span all the way from Zelda to Mario, from Splatoon to Animal Crossing, from  Smash Bros to Metroid, from Mario Kart to Xenoblade etc etc

 

Everything on the internet has, for some mental reason, to be binary. No nuance (or nuon) allowed.

Indeed... Personally I just like playing games wish there would be a box that plays them all but there isn't unfortunately. Well OK the PC is near as dammit there with emulation, Xbox and now Sony releasing onto the platform. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/01/2022 at 13:43, bear said:

How much of that perception of Sony being in a slightly weaker position is based on them having announced less of what they are working on? Microsofts supposed 2023 lineup (Avowed, Perfect Dark, Contraband, Hellblade 2, Fable) looks great compared to Sonys (Spiderman 2) but theres no way that is a complete picture. Studios like Naughty Dog, Santa Monica and Suckerpunch are all supposed to be starting up second or thirds teams so its not unreasonable to think we'll see those studios produce more for the PS5 than they did for the PS4. 

Is anyone in a "weaker" position? And who cares anyway? You cannot play Gran Turismo 7 on a Xbox or a Forza game on a Playstation. That is all that matters.

 

Will Sony fail? Who knows. I just look at Nintendo and how many times they have been doomed by the general consensus of the internet "experts". :D Nintendo are hardly prolific with their AAA releases but they keep selling - lots - of consoles and games. Think personally Sony should keep aiming for that model rather than chasing Microsoft.

 

Sure have a subscription service perhaps that rolls PS Now and PS+ together and offer a broad range of indie content etc. But keep the AAA games a separate entity. Having GamePass on the PC and a PS5 I've yet to play games of a the calibre of something of say The Last Of Us, Uncharted or God Of War for example. Or seen anything offering the creativity of say Dreams. Of course this is very subjective and depends on what you view of a quality game you want to play looks like. I just think if Sony pushed all its first party content on release to a sub service we would never see the quality of content we will get. Same reason why Hollywood and say Netflix movies differ in quality and budgets. Not to say it won't change or isn't changing but just can't see Sony getting the returns on things like The Last Of Us if it was pushed onto a sub service day one.

 

Just hope Sony continue their inventiveness and risk taking - things like the Dual Sense pad, PSVR2 for example games and software like Dreams, LBP, Buzz, Singstar etc. Think over the years that has been the key difference between MS and Sony - Sony have or had developed content for a broader audience and do try and innovate. In a similar way to Nintendo. MS consoles are essentially stripped down PCs with no unique selling points or experiences other than GamePass.

 

Not biased one way or the other regarding game systems...but just see more potential for the PS5 to deliver an elevated experience over an Xbox - hence why I use a PC for GamePass and the console of choice a PS5. 

 

Anyway this is starting to sound like a "console warz" type post. Waiting with interest to see what Sony come with regarding Project Sparticus... or whatever they are calling it now! :) Hopefully it arrives sooner rather than later. Quite like the sub model and having something similar from Sony with PSN+/PS Now rolled together would be appealing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just looking at the Gamepass numbers released today (25m). Sony look to have around double that for PS+. Even if the Activision news didn’t send tremors through the building, they would be mad to not try and convert a chunk of those numbers to some kind of higher tier that would bring in more revenue. You’ve already got them on the hook, you just need to reel them in with a tempting “upgrade” button. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Something I would really like to see from

this (and which we won’t get) is more focused curation. We have all these subscription services for media and they throw their content out in such a boring, basic way - whether it’s Netflix or Game Pass or Disney Plus it’s all just a bunch of panel titles on a screen that if you’re lucky will be grouped under ridiculously broad categories.

 

For a gaming subscription service I’d love to see something like, say, a Resident Evil Collection. For 6-12 months you have access to every single Resident Evil game ever made, including all the spin-offs, even oddities like the Director’s cut of the first one. Give the collection its own landing page, include interviews with Shinji Mikami and other key figures in the series’ history, concept art etc. Even roll in the movies for completion’s sake. 
 

I’d much rather a subscription service underpinned by a few collections like this combined with first party games and a few good third parties/indies. I don’t need the 500 odd games that Game Pass/PS Now vomit at you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Sarlaccfood changed the title to Sony new subscription service combining Now and Plus - Launching June

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.