IGNORED

Sony new subscription service combining Now and Plus - Launching June

Sarlaccfood

I think Sony would be smart to include first party discounts in the subscription rather than giving the games away day 1. At least this would lower that £70 tag people hate so much. 

I think whilst gamepass is amazing value, I use it mainly for trying new smaller games. Sony's first party offerings are considerably higher in quality than what MS have been producing (bar FH maybe and Flight SIM) that paying for them is not a problem for me personally. 

I just hope we get a decent list of games that are emulated well on the console. Dragon Quest VIII please. 

Haven't read the full thread but I think the ideal for me would be along the lines of:

- Continue with Network Access

- Continue with monthly PS+ Games

- Roll in PS Now catalogue

- Add Sony Back Catalogue (PS1, PS2, PS3)

- Add Sony Handheld Back Catalogue (PSP, Vita)

- At least 1 first part game per year included

- An extra little nugget for subscribers (themes, avatars etc)

Charge £90 a year, jobs a good'un.

11 minutes ago, SuperCapes said:

I think Sony would be smart to include first party discounts in the subscription rather than giving the games away day 1. At least this would lower that £70 tag people hate so much. 

I think whilst gamepass is amazing value, I use it mainly for trying new smaller games. Sony's first party offerings are considerably higher in quality than what MS have been producing (bar FH maybe and Flight SIM) that paying for them is not a problem for me personally. 

I just hope we get a decent list of games that are emulated well on the console. Dragon Quest VIII please. 

I'm sure many feel the same and I personally value Sony's first party more than Microsoft's, but objective quality wise (purely western review scores), Microsoft have been significantly ahead in recent years. The Ps5 exclusives last year made up some ground but they are still some way behind. I can't see that gap closing either due to Microsoft's acquisitions and their supportive approach with those acquisitions. We know Microsoft will misstep at some point but right now they are in the front foot when it comes to first party software.

22 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

I'm sure many feel the same and I personally value Sony's first party more than Microsoft's, but objective quality wise (purely western review scores), Microsoft have been significantly ahead in recent years. The Ps5 exclusives last year made up some ground but they are still some way behind. I can't see that gap closing either due to Microsoft's acquisitions and their supportive approach with those acquisitions. We know Microsoft will misstep at some point but right now they are in the front foot when it comes to first party software.

What MS games over the last few years have put them significantly ahead?

1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

Have I stepped into some parallel universe?

15 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

What MS games over the last few years have put them significantly ahead?

Forza 4 and 5, Halo infinite, ori, psychonauts 2, gears 5 and tactics, flight sim, wasteland 3, outer worlds, quake remaster, doom eternal and many more. This ignores ongoing games that still have loads of players like Minecraft+dungeons, sea of thieves and other Bethesda games that are now under their wing. Microsoft clearly win the 'depth' test, but they even arguably win the objective 'strength' test too with flight sim, Forza 5 and ori.

Sony have amazing quality with their first party but simply haven't produced enough depth to compete. Even this year, the ps5's top scoring console exclusive, deathloop, is a Microsoft owned studio. Sony still hold some great console exclusives that aren't Sony owned like Endwalker and Chicory but they do not help them in a potential subscription service war because they will cost them money to use.

Again, personally, Sony's first party is more interesting to me* but the objective review scores and quantity don't say the same story.

I'd suggest that Sony's biggest problem with competing with Game pass is that they have gone down a business model line of securing exclusives, rather than building a first party base. The former does not lend itself to the game pass model as well as the latter.

16 minutes ago, PaB said:

Have I stepped into some parallel universe?

No, you are in your own universe, as are we all, which is why it is nice to look at information which is objective (to our universe):

Top scoring Sony or Microsoft game in 2021:

Forza Horizon 5

2nd: Psychonauts 2

14 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Forza 4 and 5, Halo infinite, ori, psychonauts 2, gears 5 and tactics, flight sim, wasteland 3, outer worlds, quake remaster, doom eternal and many more. This ignores ongoing games that still have loads of players like Minecraft+dungeons, sea of thieves and other Bethesda games that are now under their wing. Microsoft clearly win the 'depth' test, but they even arguably win the objective 'strength' test too with flight sim, Forza 5 and ori.

Sony have amazing quality with their first party but simply haven't produced enough depth to compete. Even this year, the ps5's top scoring console exclusive, deathloop, is a Microsoft owned studio. Sony still hold some great console exclusives that aren't Sony owned like Endwalker and Chicory but they do not help them in a potential subscription service war because they will cost them money to use.

Again, personally, Sony's first party is more interesting to me* but the objective review scores and quantity don't say the same story.

I'd suggest that Sony's biggest problem with competing with Game pass is that they have gone down a business model line of securing exclusives, rather than building a first party base. The former does not lend itself to the game pass model as well as the latter.

I am confused, your previous statement you referred to PS exclusives making up ground on xbox but then in this post you refer to games that are on both consoles...

This reads as 2 slightly different discussions i.e comparing 1st party games and then comparing 1st party exclusives.... 

If you were to compare 1st party exclusives then Sony is comfortably ahead in terms of quality and it wouldn't be unreasonable to argue that Microsoft has made some ground in recent years with the exclusives you mentioned above.

If you compare 1st party games irrespective of platform then the gap is much closer and depending on you as an individual you could lean either way but I would not say that Microsoft are comfortably ahead in either argument while Sony have spiderman, God of war, the last of us, ghost of tsushima, horizon zero dawn out in just over a month, ratchet and clank, demons souls remake (not my sort of game mind)... Yes Sony have had a quiet year in terms of first party titles but again a number of the games you mentioned with the exception of a couple are games released pre-2021.

Of the microsoft games you mention only forza, halo, gears and flight sim are not on the playstation and the acquisition of Bethesda hasn't actually resulted in exclusive titles yet.

I'm not sure how you can realistically compare the 2 in terms of quality and quantity at present, admittedly the gap will close with Microsoft picking up some strong studios.

Sorry, I realise I got carried away a bit there, I love game pass and think it's fantastic value and in terms of how Microsoft appeal to it's customers at the moment, that is where Microsoft are comfortably ahead and that's where this proposed combination of services by Sony is hoping to claw some of that back. But similar to how Microsoft have been playing catch up on first party content over the last couple of years, Sony now need to do the same in terms of customer service.

2 hours ago, BeeJay said:

I think the analysis was very limited and did not take into consideration the extras that game pass brings, and just treated it as an isolated system, which it isn't. I'd be much more interested to see an analysis that includes DLC sales for first party games and the cut of 3rd party sales due to the installed base. The research that has been thrown around for ages suggests that game pass subscribers still spend a similar amount of money on gaming as they used to. If that is true then Sony can't afford to not have people spending that money on their platform.

So I got Xbox primarily for gamepads, but then there were a few things cheap in the sale, and then if I want to play Eldin Ring Series X was the natural place and oh I got Rock Band for some karaoke and my wife wanted a few more songs...

Overall I'm spending less but the Xbox isn't Xbox only and I've shifted some spending from other platforms. Plus I do the Rewards things, so MS drive more traffic to bing.

56 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

No, you are in your own universe, as are we all, which is why it is nice to look at information which is objective (to our universe):

Top scoring Sony or Microsoft game in 2021:

Forza Horizon 5

2nd: Psychonauts 2

That’s not an objective measure 

1 minute ago, PaB said:

That’s not an objective measure 

Did you see the (to our universe) bit, or shall we have the old debate about objectivity being impossible because all opinion is subjective?

Aggregated review scores are the absolute best we have to objectively assess the quality of a game. The arguement of review scores being collective subjectivity is purely academic without a truly objective measure of a games quality being available.

I raise it because my perception of the general consensus during these discussions is that Sony have a much stronger first party than Microsoft. This simply isn't true and is outdated.

17 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Did you see the (to our universe) bit, or shall we have the old debate about objectivity being impossible because all opinion is subjective?

Aggregated review scores are the absolute best we have to objectively assess the quality of a game. The arguement of review scores being collective subjectivity is purely academic without a truly objective measure of a games quality being available.

I raise it because my perception of the general consensus during these discussions is that Sony have a much stronger first party than Microsoft. This simply isn't true and is outdated.

There is no way to objectively assess art. None. 

I am sorry, but review scores have been questionable at best lately. And if we were to go off that system over the last 10 years, Sony has absolutely obliterated Microsoft. This year with Horizon and God of War alone, they are going to be miles ahead, bar maybe Starfield, but even if Starfield is the same game Bethesda in-house always release, it will likely be praised to the high heaven's regardless, hence my comment on review scores being questionable. 

I miss the days when Microsoft actually got good exclusive deals, the 360 era was sensational, with Dead Rising, Mass Effect 1, Tales of Vesperia and more, not to mention Halo 3, Gears of War, and Forza 2/3. 

Like I say, I love gamepass for trying games I would not usually buy, and the value is downright nuts, but the first party offerings have not hooked me in like the first party offerings from Sony. Returnal and Demon's Souls Remake are just masterclass. You could say that I enjoyed them more out of desperation for paying for them, but I absolutely loathed Deathloop. 

Even a discount, and a few old school classics will make me happy enough with their new service. I am personally happy to keep buying their first party lineup, if the quality continues. 

I think Sony's output is much better than MS and has been for many years. I always find they wring more out of their machines than MS do, too, and just look better in a way I can't describe (and isn't just down to artstyle.)

And I say that despite neither wanting a PS5 nor liking the majority of their stuff (and I despise their pads.) I might try God of War on PC when it is cheap in a sale though.

12 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

I love my Xbox and Gamepass, but what games like Last of Us, Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, etc do MS have? I always feel it’s best to own all consoles, to cover all bases, as there are definite gaps in each console makers libraries.

8 minutes ago, JPL said:

I love my Xbox and Gamepass, but what games like Last of Us, Spider-Man, Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, etc do MS have? I always feel it’s best to own all consoles, to cover all bases, as there are definite gaps in each console makers libraries.

All great games but also all very much cut from the same cloth, and other than nicer visuals I don't expect the next gen sequels to be much different.  Sony need a bit more variety and inovation the same as everyone else and £70 RRP on games does not facilitate this, so hopefully the new service will.

1 minute ago, Waggo said:

All great games but also all very much cut from the same cloth, and other than nicer visuals I don't expect the next gen sequels to be much different.  Sony need a bit more variety and inovation the same as everyone else and £70 RRP on games does not facilitate this, so hopefully the new service will.

Yeah, I totally get they’re all quite samey and Xbox has a wider variety of genres, but these kind of games do seem to be missing from the Xbox library. Hopefully MS’s acquisitions will bring some of this kind of stuff to the platform, so I don’t have to buy a PS5*.

*who am I kidding?

1 hour ago, BeeJay said:

If you want to look at it objectively then you look at sales, there is no other way. 

Also, and I’m a massive Halo fanboy, unless you’re a Halo, Gears or Forza fan, then MS’s output is pretty much the same as it’s been since day one, or at least the 360 era. And yeah that might change with the acquisition of all these studios, but outside of those core titles we’re still waiting. 

Basically, no, MS are not ahead of Sony when it comes to exclusives, they’re nowhere near.

Ironically the “best” MS title to come out last year was a PlayStation 5 exclusive, Death Loop, what with it winning all those GOTY awards and what have you. 

26 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Returnal? 

I think he's taking into account the fact they [MS] just acquired a load of studios and have those titles exclusively from this point on - so not an historic comparison, but a future one i.e. Xbox gained some content and Sony lost some in the process - so their first-party roster now includes Starfield, Doom, Dishonoured, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Wolfenstein, Deathloop.

It's certainly a far closer picture than it was last gen when Sony clearly had it won hands-down. This gen though, MS has literally bought their way into the game with a load more options and for every God of War there could be a Redfall, or Fable, or Avowed etc (yes, they ahve to deliver, but there's no doubting they've given themselves some tickets to the raffle)

13 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Returnal? 

Not on the list of games JPL gave but one which illustrates my point perfectly.  A great game that does something different, but was totally hamstrung by a £70 RRP.  

Hopefully the new service Sony are launching will lead to more like it.

2 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Not on the list of games JPL gave but one which illustrates my point perfectly.  A great game that does something different, but was totally hamstrung by a £70 RRP.  

Not saying one model is better than the other (I think the future should have both) but I actually would have given up on Returnal if it was on gamepass, but I kept at it because I paid money for it and as a result it’s my GOTY by a country mile.

2 minutes ago, Waggo said:

You said Sony need variety and innovation and you don’t expect that from their next gen sequels, that’s why I mentioned it. 

I don’t really think having a subscription service such as Game Pass where all exclusives are added day one would lead to more games like that either. 

@Sarlaccfood But you could say the same about Sony then right - and that's also not looking at original IP like Redfall, or Contraband etc.

I think the days of 'MS is just about brown shooty men' are gone when you actually look at their slate of titles now. It goes from Flight Sim to Fable, and from Minecraft to Outer Worlds.

All academic as Nintendo wins anyway. I mean honestly, who *doesn't* think BOTW2 is going to be the best thing on any platform this year? Horizon will be bloody miles better looking, but I'd bet both my bollocks and the bollocks of any one of you that it'll not be as good as going back to Hyrule....

3 hours ago, BeeJay said:

Agree. Think GamePass is Sony's biggest problem right now. Hopefully whatever they come up with going forward will be a bit more consumer friendly than the £70RRP for a single new release.

Long term I think MS have absolutely gone down the right path with GamePass. Sub services for video, music are the new normal. Games are just the extension of this really. Think the biggest barrier to entry for this is the need of a good network connection which is needed for streaming or downloading... however this  will only improve over time.

Be interesting to see what Sony deliver.... 

• Sarlaccfood changed the title to Sony new subscription service combining Now and Plus - Launching June