PlayStation Plus Premium - Out Now

Sarlaccfood

1 minute ago, PaB said:

That’s exactly what it is . Ps plus + psnow + unknown extras. PS3 games will not be playable locally . They will be streaming only , that won’t change. 

I re-read it and you are right it says in the announcement "PS3 games available via cloud streaming"

Oh well :(

4 minutes ago, Clipper said:

I re-read it and you are right it says in the announcement "PS3 games available via cloud streaming"

Oh well :(

I mean it works, there’s no obvious lag. But I’m with you, I hate streaming games even on 1 gig connection . But the nature of ps3 meant it was always going to be a stretch for local play. 

I’ll still get it as I’m a ps plus and a ps now subscriber anyway, but this is nowhere near a gamepass equivalent , it was never going to be. 

Just now, PaB said:

I mean it works . But I’m with you, I hate streaming games even on 1 gig connection . But the nature of ps3 meant it was always going to be a stretch for local play. 

I’ll still get it as I’m a ps plus and a ps now subscriber anyway, but this is nowhere near a gamepass equivalent , it was never going to be. 

I knew it wasnt going to be same as GP as it wouldnt have day 1 1st party etc which I was fine with. I was just hoping they'd put a tiny bit more effort in to pep it up a bit and get me to jump in.

I might just buy Days Gone (the exclusive I have been itching to play) and play it on my ps4 instead.

PSVR2 will probably make me buy a PS5 which will make it an expensive end to the year!

4 minutes ago, Paulando said:

There are a couple of things this really needs:

- Decent indie titles launching on the service from day one.

- First party games staying on the service once they’re on there. I can handle them not being there on release, but chopping and changing all the time means I’ll probably never get into something for fear of it leaving the service.

And yep, it all hinges on the selection of games. If it’s the same stinky selection of PS2 games released as ‘classics’, they can fuck off. The fact that there are PSP games there gives me the slight hope there’ll be more on offer.

The games staying on there is the most important thing. I don’t really care about games being day one on Game Pass, but the best thing about that service is that in practice you do ‘own’ Halo MCC, Gears, Doom etc because they’ll never be removed.

47 minutes ago, Pelekophoros said:

Why? Surely the simple conclusion is that all of those games will feature within the new subscription regardless?

Indeed but at what level? If you are currently a PSN+ member these are bundled with this. However going forward this will become the "Essential" tier meaning they may remove the bundle from this tier and move it to a more expensive one ("Plus Extra" perhaps). I expect this will be the case but we'll see. 

1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

Sony is still very much focused on selling consoles and making big budget, open world story driven games which doesn't fit the GP model offered by MS,

Eh!? What about the GP model doesn't fit selling consoles or big budget, open world story driven games? I mean, one of the big MS tentpoles on the horizon (Starfield) is exactly that....and the Series S is a GP gateway drug.....

My main take from this is that the premium tier, that costs the most has the retro content which they claim is 340* games but won't say a single one of them and it launches in two months.

The fact they can't even name a single game, even from their own back catalogue doesn't inspire hope.

Disappointing that the BC games are locked behind the top tier. And without a list of those games it's pointless right now.

Also, these games are going to have to be licenced if they're running via emulation so that could rule out hundreds of must-have titles never, ever appearing.

Shame there are no tiers with day and date releases with Sony studios content - however I guess that is expecting too much and would seriously cannibalise the release sales of the games. What will be interesting is to see how long it does take these titles to move onto a tier though - if they do at all. I'd probably be happy waiting for most of them for 6m - 1yr TBH. It would also probably kerb the sales of second hand games too if the sweet spot was about right. So people would just rather sub to the service than pick up a second hand copy of a game.

9 minutes ago, f2097 said:

My main take from this is that the premium tier, that costs the most has the retro content which they claim is 340* games but won't say a single one of them and it launches in two months.

The fact they can't even name a single game, even from their own back catalogue doesn't inspire hope.

typical Sony. Even after the announcement, it still invites so much speculation, on account of the half-arsed wishy-washy nature of it all.

It’s one of the downsides to being in first place: it usually ends up tortoise and hare-ing… 

Spoiler

they’ve just woken from their nap and realised the tortoise is in the lead

Any news of an upgrade path from current ps plus? Wondering if it is cheaper to just buy PS now outright

@Ferine I used to have 12 months PS Now but can't see an option to rejoin on the website?

43 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Indeed but at what level? If you are currently a PSN+ member these are bundled with this. However going forward this will become the "Essential" tier meaning they may remove the bundle from this tier and move it to a more expensive one ("Plus Extra" perhaps). I expect this will be the case but we'll see. 

There's absolutely no reason to suspect they would be removed from the basic PS+ subscription any more than any other game you've ever claimed through that same sub.

EDIT: I could see them removing it as an offer for new customers, I guess?

I haven't paid paid for GP yet, still riding out the original $1 for 3 year offer so perhaps MS are also bad for this. This sort of bullshit needs to stop, though:

PlayStation Plus Essential
$9.99/month or $59.99/year

PlayStation Plus Extra
$14.99/month or $99.99/year

PlayStation Plus Premium
$17.99/month or $119.99/year

If you're paying monthly (rounding up pennies), I make that:

Essential: $120/year, twice the cost

Extra: $180/year, twice the cost

Premium: $216/year, not quite twice the cost

What the fuck.

Edited by TehStu
Fixed my dodgy % calculations

3 minutes ago, Uzi said:

@Ferine I used to have 12 months PS Now but can't see an option to rejoin on the website?

I don't think it works via the website or app; only gives me the option to turn off auto-renew.

I re-subscribed via my PS5 itself. Load up the Store, open the '...' menu in the top-right, then select 'Subscriptions'.

1 minute ago, Majora said:

Ultimately what keeps me subscribed to Gamepass isn't the day one first party games, even though it's obviously their number one selling point, it's the constant stream of day one indies. 

This has never been a thing on PS Now and the press release doesn't make it sound like it's going to be a thing for the new service either. If it's just entirely back catalogue stuff I think that's a mistake because it's the constant stream of the new that keeps people talking in the end.

The reason why lots of people talk about Gamepass and hardly anyone talks about Now isn't just the Forzas and Halos launching day one. It's the day one Tunics and the Unpackings that you play in between the tentpoles. Your service stays in the conversation when everyone gets to experience great new games on that service at the same time. 

Yeah, that does seem like a gap for sure. 

5 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I haven't paid paid for GP yet, still riding out the original $1 for 3 year offer so perhaps MS are also bad for this.

Is there no 12 month option for GPU? All I can find is codes for $15/month and $40/3 months, saving you $5.

4 minutes ago, Ferine said:

I don't think it works via the website or app; only gives me the option to turn off auto-renew.

I re-subscribed via my PS5 itself. Load up the Store, open the '...' menu in the top-right, then select 'Subscriptions'.

Thanks will give it a go

42 minutes ago, Ferine said:

Excellent. Shame you can only do it one year via this method but using shopto £50 credit that comes to less than £3.80 a month

Edit - actually you can stack them, you just go through the process again and it adds a year

Sony are just square-pegging this to try and catch up with MS. They'd have to change their entire business model to emulate them, which they just aren't positioned to do. Plus their pockets aren't anywhere near as deep, so can't win the studio acquisition wars. They also don't own vast networking infrastructure, or the talent to run it. 

If I were Sony, I'd look to sweep up a ton of indies and work on beefing them up to top tier studios, whilst positioning themselves as having more exciting and bigger AAA releases. I'd make the subscription service cheaper than MS by a quid, load it with every indie under the sun, and make every major game of theirs over 3 years old playable on the service.

If they could do that and post a net break-even for three years, they could then work on delivering more for more, further down the line. Right now, they're just WARNER Bros. trying to copy the MCU.

2 hours ago, Majora said:

Ultimately what keeps me subscribed to Gamepass isn't the day one first party games, even though it's obviously their number one selling point, it's the constant stream of day one indies. 

This has never been a thing on PS Now and the press release doesn't make it sound like it's going to be a thing for the new service either. If it's just entirely back catalogue stuff I think that's a mistake because it's the constant stream of the new that keeps people talking in the end.

The reason why lots of people talk about Gamepass and hardly anyone talks about Now isn't just the Forzas and Halos launching day one. It's the day one Tunics and the Unpackings that you play in between the tentpoles. Your service stays in the conversation when everyone gets to experience great new games on that service at the same time. 

Adding Uncharted 4 and God of War and The Last of Us 2 to the service down the line is nice but it's not really going to get people talking is it? They're big games but they've been played, discussed and dissected by tens of millions of people at this point.

I hope Sony make at least some moves to make indies more important to this offering going forward.

Totally this.

“First party MS games day one” looks great on paper and the end of last year was brilliant, but in reality they’re pretty few and far between. It’s the day one indie stuff and the curation aspect that’s the meat of it and that’s where Sony need to step up.

Same for the retro stuff: it doesn’t need to be a lot of games but it needs to look like some effort has gone into the choices. Some deep cuts from the older catalogues, added trophies or online multiplayer would go a long way to get the regular good vibes headlines that MS enjoys with gamepass.

1 hour ago, rgraves said:

Eh!? What about the GP model doesn't fit selling consoles or big budget, open world story driven games? I mean, one of the big MS tentpoles on the horizon (Starfield) is exactly that....and the Series S is a GP gateway drug.....

Starfield feels like an outlier, mainly based on it being in development pre MS buyout. I truly suspect the vast majority of future MS titles going forward to be GAAS.

Of course, Sony have announced their intentions of going this route too with some of their games. perhaps they will put all GAAS on PS Plus day one with the traditional linear titles being launched for retail only (and perhaps on Plus months/years later after sales have died).

On the S, true, but it is a means to an end (that being Gamepass). MS want Gamepass numbers more than Console numbers.

So is the medium tier going to have new games added in terms of indie and third party titles, or is it ‘just’ going to be older stuff? Doesn’t seem clear from the press release, but more leaning to the latter I think, which would be unfortunate.

I’ll be happy to try out a year of the top tier (if monthly is much more expensive), mind, if the list of classic games there is good.

Well at the moment you can sign up to the highest tier for £44.85 (shopto) a year currently (via console) as per @Ferine initial post. You can stack up to multiple times but I've decided to stick to one year for now at the risk of the "loophole" closing because I can't want to pay £135ish for 3 years of the top tier sub when I have no clue beyond a few games what it will consist off. Also no idea if there is an upgrade cost for existing plus subs that could work out cheaper nearer to launch but willing to take a punt for a year.

Depending on the PS1/PS2 catalogue I might well give it a go. I didn't really own a Playstation until PS4. Shame the PS3 stuff is streaming only. I can't imagine it being any different from PSNow so action games will be mostly unplayable through the lag.

26 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Well at the moment you can sign up to the highest tier for £44.85 (shopto) a year currently (via console) as per @Ferine initial post. You can stack up to multiple times but I've decided to stick to one year for now at the risk of the "loophole" closing because I can't want to pay £135ish for 3 years of the top tier sub when I have no clue beyond a few games what it will consist off. Also no idea if there is an upgrade cost for existing plus subs that could work out cheaper nearer to launch but willing to take a punt for a year.

I can’t see any of the tier options on Shopto - where are they?

31 minutes ago, Jg15 said:

I truly suspect the vast majority of future MS titles going forward to be GAAS.

Is there any evidence at all to suggest this though - I mean it feels like something that people keep saying, but never actually have anything to back it up.

If anything, I think Sony are making more noise about moving in that direction to be honest...

On 27/03/2022 at 12:32, dug said:

Hey Sony, give me a way of playing Breath of Fire 3 and Suikoden 2 and Vandal Hearts and Legend of Mana and all the other PS1 JRPGs on my PS5 and I'll stump up the subscription fee.

Errrrrr £100 a year? Maybe not then...