IGNORED

Annoying bits in videogames

FishyFish

I'm playing The Touryst at the moment and, while there are a number of challenging bits, so far none has been as annoying as jumping on these stupid orbs. The camera is shit in these areas and your only hope is split second reflexes when you see your shadow appear over where you want to land. You can't use the d-pad, so getting the angle right can be extremely tricky - especially when things are sometimes obscured.

FFFSSSSSKKKKSSSSS!!!!

It actually didn't take me all that long to do in the end, but it was pointlessly difficult with no fun in the process at all. Just difficult for the sake of being difficult it seemed.

Fake-out repetition in games: where you have to progress by doing the "wrong" thing repeatedly before you can get anywhere:

I think there's a bit in Persona 2: Innocent Sin where you loop back to (what seems like) the same area repeatedly, but you only discover that you're making "progress" if you keep talking to everyone - eventually a dialogue scene will automatically play out and advance things. Also, those bits in Ace Attorney where you have to keep pressing all of the statements until there's a scripted moment of Phoenix going "oh noes I've got nothing left" followed by a deus ex machina changing everything.

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

That bit was bloody annoying as was some of the jumping in Lumo, isometric games shouldn’t have precision jumping. 

I packed Lumo in when they added slippy ice levels to the imprecise jumping.

It’s like they want to deliberately ruin their games by adding such bastardry.

"Frank, it's Otis again, why did you hang up on me? That's really rude!"

In fairness, that one is deliberately annoying. :lol:

For not deliberately annoying:

image.png.e573b62f0e0549b9ae0da4ec902114f3.png

Fucking space sudoku can fuck the fuck off!! On PC I installed a little mod to give me infinite overrides. 

9 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

I packed Lumo in when they added slippy ice levels to the imprecise jumping.

It’s like they want to deliberately ruin their games by adding such bastardry.

It was the rope jumps that frustrated me. That death sound over and over. 

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

Fake-out repetition in games: where you have to progress by doing the "wrong" thing repeatedly before you can get anywhere:

I think there's a bit in Persona 2: Innocent Sin where you loop back to (what seems like) the same area repeatedly, but you only discover that you're making "progress" if you keep talking to everyone - eventually a dialogue scene will automatically play out and advance things. Also, those bits in Ace Attorney where you have to keep pressing all of the statements until there's a scripted moment of Phoenix going "oh noes I've got nothing left" followed by a deus ex machina changing everything.

Ron Gilbert admitted this was a problem with the bit in Monkey Island where the way to get the necklace off the Navigator is to repeatedly talk about it:

https://grumpygamer.com/stuff_and_things_and_monkey_island

Begging for the necklace from the head of the navigator is a bad puzzle. It's too easy for players to think they're on the wrong path.

From the below fan transcript, after he first says "no", you have to make a further six dialogue selections. That's plenty of time for you to assume that all further dialogue is just going to be jokes that have nothing to do with solving the puzzle!

Guybrush : May I please have that necklace?

Head : No, but thanks for asking so politely.

Guybrush : Why can't I have it?

Head : I've got a bad feeling about this place. I think I might need it.

Guybrush : Why can't I have it?

Head : Look, don't be a nag, okay?

Guybrush : Maybe I'll just take it...

Head : Maybe you'd better not.

Guybrush : I don't want to have to hurt you...

Head : And I don't want to have to make you regret it.

Guybrush : What're you going to do? Bite me?

Head : Remember, you need me to get out of this place. If I wanted to I could strand you here forever.

Guybrush : If I wanted to I could dropkick you into the lava.

Head : (brief pause) On second thought... Hey, what good's a necklace if you don't have shoulders?

1 hour ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Swampy levels where you are poisoned and need to stand on a dry bit for a while or eat some kind of plant to take the poison effect away. 

Yes, I’m looking at you From Soft. 

But they’re the best levels.

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

I’d actually argue that the final stage is more annoying!

You’re driving some slow assed car while getting constantly rammed by police and FBI. It’s a complete exercise in frustration.

That final stage was as much luck-based as skill. It took me weeks. 

5 minutes ago, Camel said:

9F3432CD-F35C-4202-8B06-615D1E4FF574.png.5d0634efb71538559a05bb7053c34584.png

:D

My approach was always to slow down, fire once and retreat before they got to me. But then the game wants you to do everything at full pelt. The worst moments are when you warp into an area at top speed and bump straight into one before you have a chance to slow down...

11 hours ago, Corrogate said:

My man.

The blood levels in Max Payne. I couldn't get past it and stopped playing; bloody shame. Great game.

same. Shelved it for years until I got a pc, and wasd + mouse meant I could control him accurately enough

10 hours ago, Qazimod said:

this happens in last of us 2 and I hated it

Spoiler

Joel and Ellie flashback where you’re trapped in a room with the boomer (I think) and random runners. I whittled his health down for ages before getting instakilled at full health and quickly reloading the checkpoint, again and again, until finally I “died” and put the controller down and Joel blew its brains out

Any section where most/all of the player's abilities are taken away. It's been a shit feature pretty much since the inception of video games but if anything it's worse in more modern titles where everything's an RPG to some extent and you've been gradually earning them all.

Latest culprit for me is Jedi Fallen Order where

Spoiler

suddenly, as you approach the peak of your powers, all of your offensive options are removed and you get to run away from everything to get back to your ship. For bonus irritation, the levels are generally quite convoluted and when you check your map it's in real-time, so enemies can still attack you, and now you can't eliminate them to give you a safe opportunity. And the few powers you do have left can only be used a couple of times before your force bar is exhausted, and when you're in combat it's mostly recharged through the offensive actions that are now unavailable.

It's relatively brief but just awful design.