Mobygames may be acquired by Atari

Wiper

Well, it had a good innings at least, I guess. Assuming this doesn't fall through, Mobygames being harvested by zombie-Atari can surely only be the beginning of the end for the venerable online database of games.

Mobygames was a key part of my formative internet years, my main source for information about older video games, along with Home of the Underdogs and GameFAQs. I'll be very, very sad to see it die a weird, corporate death.

Ugh. Don't Gamefly up the design and keep it so I can easily access a huge amount of gaming information and it'll be fine, I guess. I use Mobygames a hell of a lot for research (and box art) so it's a resource I rely on massively, and I don't want that turned into some marketing frontend for streaming retro games and selling NTFs NFTs or whatever Atari wants to be into this week.

1 hour ago, ianinthefuture said:

Ugh. Don't Gamefly up the design and keep it so I can easily access a huge amount of gaming information and it'll be fine, I guess. I use Mobygames a hell of a lot for research (and box art) so it's a resource I rely on massively, and I don't want that turned into some marketing frontend for streaming retro games and selling NTFs or whatever Atari wants to be into this week.

Yeah, I suspect a load of the screenshot links I've been using for the Zapped to the Past thread are about to break sooner than I'd planned.

If there was some value to it - “Atari” doing it as a serious investment in preservation and game history - then it would be welcome.

But it seems more like that recent online forum purchase, just a way to grab a pool of user data/traffic. And then annoy it with advertising.