IGNORED

Halo Infinite online: gamertags, organisation, clips, war stories etc

Benny

I've not even attempted to get into a BTB match - disappointing that there are still issues.  I tried to play it before Christmas but never managed to load into a game.

Continued delays to fixing broken aspects of the game are very frustrating.

I only play BTB at the moment and I lose count of how many different errors and fuckups there are trying to get into a match. Once you get in, its perfect but it takes almost as long to get in (including multiple game reboots sometimes) than it does to play. Lucky I love it so much or I would've give up!

I had a great match of BTB Control yesterday where we came back to 2-0 down to win. I like to think that this was the turning point:

3 minutes ago, Pob said:

I only play BTB at the moment and I lose count of how many different errors and fuckups there are trying to get into a match. Once you get in, its perfect but it takes almost as long to get in (including multiple game reboots sometimes) than it does to play. Lucky I love it so much or I would've give up!

I had a great match of BTB Control yesterday where we came back to 2-0 down to win. I like to think that this was the turning point:

Absolutely no offence intended, but I find it funny how you miss all your shots constantly at the start and yet pulled off that repulsor jump no sweat whatsoever...that shit is HARD to do consistently, especially with multiple people firing at you. Kudos sir, kudos. 

2 minutes ago, Varsity said:

Absolutely no offence intended, but I find it funny how you miss all your shots constantly at the start and yet pulled off that repulsor jump no sweat whatsoever...that shit is HARD to do consistently, especially with multiple people firing at you. Kudos sir, kudos. 

Yeah, using the BR at close range was a mistake! I'm better at staying alive than killing people.

Just now, Pob said:

Yeah, using the BR at close range was a mistake! I'm better at staying alive than killing people.

Staying alive wins games bro. If you ever feel on the back foot, evading the enemy and stopping them picking up kills is always more beneficial to your team than trying to make a go of it. If I feel I'm getting beat down on slayer, I try and always back off and evade/shoot from range for a bit. 

Cyber Showdown rewards, pass is the same as the xmas one by the looks of it. 10 rewards, one per day for playing a game (probably of whatever the featured one is). Event runs from Jan 18th - Jan 31st. This stuff isn't really for me tbh, although the visor looks kinda cool...too bad I can't customize my HCS skin lololol. 

That neon mohawk looks awful. 

Obviously, the better looking stuff like the neon outlines on the armor is in the store lel. 

cyber.jpg

Apologies if this has already been posted in the thread, but I found this pretty good for explaining some of the skill jumps in the game

Really want to be able to nail the one on Streets, and the one on Live Fire from shit spawn up to C looks useful as well.

The ones to the top of the gates on Bazaar also look really useful but a bit too difficult to pull of consistently for me.

Some unspectacular clips:

A very lucky skewer shot:

A satisfying triple kill:

I hate bastard energy swords, so this was rather satisfying.  And yes, I'm running away from them:

@metallicfrodo

I can't do those jumps man, I can pull some of them off 1 in 10/20 tries maybe but nowhere near consistent enough to do in matches 😕 Shame cos some of them are superb, that bazzarr one would be mental OP if I could pull it off. 

One that's quite easy is grabbing the repulsor on Live Fire and using it to jump up to the bridge by the tower...saves so much time instead of running around the back. But again, it's getting to the repulsor, remembering to do that and doing it well lol. 

The game will be largely dead by May if it doesn't get any significant content by then, even the biggest Halo loving players in my group are feeling that the current small selction of maps is getting really stale. It's currently sitting at 64 in the Steam player charts with around 10,000 players online. About 2000 less than Battlefield V, which came out in 2018, isn't F2P and was considered a massive flop.

11 minutes ago, Harsin said:

The game will be largely dead by May if it doesn't get any significant content by then, even the biggest Halo loving players in my group are feeling that the current small selction of maps is getting really stale. It's currently sitting at 64 in the Steam player charts with around 10,000 players online. About 2000 less than Battlefield V, which came out in 2018, isn't F2P and was considered a massive flop.

I saw an interesting video last night basically saying that AAA fps shooters are dying and I can't really disagree tbh. BF 2042 is a trainwreck, COD is woeful and the majority of players seem to hate the new warzone and while Halo got away with it for a bit with all the praise, everyone is seeing now the state it's really in. Reminds me a lot of the Division 2 when that came out, everyone heaped the praise on, including me only to find out there was no content at the end. 

Think even now that game has only had 2 raids since it came out years ago. 

I have a very love/hate relationship with Infinite, on the one hand I love the gameplay and ranked, on the other, you can't lie, it is a barebones package. Even for me, May is a huge ask with the current maps and issues there is. They need to really amp it up, the main issue being that they have such a list of things to fix, by the time they get through them, it may well be at least May before they even start looking at new stuff. 

It's sad man. 

15 minutes ago, Varsity said:

I have a very love/hate relationship with Infinite, on the one hand I love the gameplay and ranked, on the other, you can't lie, it is a barebones package. Even for me, May is a huge ask with the current maps and issues there is. They need to really amp it up, the main issue being that they have such a list of things to fix, by the time they get through them, it may well be at least May before they even start looking at new stuff. 

You've summed it up perfectly for me.  I'll stick with it because I absolutely love playing it, but a lot of people will start deserting it very soon.

When there are so many other games competing for attention, a barebones experience isn't going to keep people coming back.

Currently, I feel like I could play it forever just because the core game is so fun. I felt the same way about Apex Legends, and had to tear myself away after a few solid months on it so I could get round to playing other games. I don't care about the progression system one bit, and I'm nowhere near bored of the maps and gametypes just yet. Maybe when the core gameplay is so good, that can carry the game? I know, O my sweet summer child etc etc...

@Boothjan Pretty much, I'm not going anywhere atm, still got till May to try and fail to get to Onyx rank lol. 

@Pob Agreed. The people leaving aren't us though. Can't speak for PC but from an Xbox viewpoint, it'll be the people that picked it up for the first time etc on game pass that make up the majority of the numbers over the long time Halo fans I imagine. And there's no guarantee those numbers will come back if they bin it off after a month or two because there's no content. 

It's a weird one as Halo 5 was derided and I'm sure had nowhere near the player base that this did at launch however it managed to sustain itself for 6 years. In that I mean I can't really remember a time when I couldn't get a match of Ranked Team Slayer whenever I was on in a resonably short time with people generally matched around my level (low platinum), I appreciate that the other playlists might have been dead. So I think this will live on for a long time with enough (probably console) players to not be dead. I mean during the H5 time people were also playing MCC MP, people who want to play Halo will just keep playing Halo.

Obviously just being able to sustain enough players to make matchmaking work isn't what MS/343 are hoping for when they've made it F2P.

Having a steady pipeline of potatoes is important. This could have been the benefit of going free to play. To your earlier point @Varsity achieving a 50/50 win ratio target for matchmaking ranked requires that they have enough casual players to feed me. I am just not sure the reason for the player base collapse is the lack of modes. They maybe just needed something novel here to draw people in. Like battle royale lol

6 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

It's a weird one as Halo 5 was derided and I'm sure had nowhere near the player base that this did at launch however it managed to sustain itself for 6 years. In that I mean I can't really remember a time when I couldn't get a match of Ranked Slayer whenever I was on in a resonably short time with people generally matched around my level (low platinum), I appreciate that the other playlists might have been dead. So I think this will live on for a long time with a enough (probably console) players to not be dead.

It's an interesting point and one I've asked people I've played with a fair bit. 

If you were given a choice right now, Infinite as it is or H5 at launch, which would you play? No-one answered Infinite. 

You can still get games on it now, same as MCC but yea the point as you say isn't that it'll be dead, it won't be, it'll survive just off the fans etc but as it stands atm, it won't be the flagship that MS want it to be. Maybe in a year? But then like I said, how many of those original GP players will return. 

@Oz I don't know if that's what HI is trying to achieve tbh, I'm only speaking from Overwatch's CSR system which tried to maintain a 50/50 ratio. Halo's rank system is so vague, I honestly don't know if that's the intention. I will say I haven't played an online competitive shooter in a while that swings from win to loss quite as much as this. It's very rare for me when playing to win 1/2 then lose 1/2, it's almost always get stomped for 5/6 then do the stomping for 5/6. 

We actually had a killer game of CTF the other night that was close the whole way and we won literally in the last 10 seconds with a flag cap. My mate at the time said this is was the best game we've had, and it certainly was one of the few that has truly felt balanced, it's a shame that this is the exception at the moment not the rule. 

EDIT: I actually really liked the search criteria in H5 if anyone remembers that? You can choose to search open, balanced or strict depending on how balanced you wanted it to be and the search time would differ accordingly. A fantastic feature. 

This may be stupid for most people here but just in case we have another idiot: I got myself a long ass Ethernet cable and this fixed my desync issues (at least yesterday). Getting headshots is also more reliable and the game just generally feels a bit better. I used to know to never used wifi for online games but more recently after my divorce with destiny I moved my pc a bit father from the router and I had not bothered to reconnect. 

12 minutes ago, Varsity said:

@Oz I don't know if that's what HI is trying to achieve tbh, I'm only speaking from Overwatch's CSR system which tried to maintain a 50/50 ratio. Halo's rank system is so vague, I honestly don't know if that's the intention. I will say I haven't played an online competitive shooter in a while that swings from win to loss quite as much as this. It's very rare for me when playing to win 1/2 then lose 1/2, it's almost always get stomped for 5/6 then do the stomping for 5/6. 

Same experience. Some games impossible and others just feels like I am playing bots. But I do think it is serving me a few too many impossible match ups one day, then I come back a few days later and it is too easy.

It’s almost like something to do with time of day and day of the week player base. This would be less of an issue  if this was for example the top game on the charts.

You guys have a different view of the gameplay I think because it seems you all have played all the halos.

I quit at 3 then played destiny obsessively for years. So now coming back to this and feeling the gameplay is just unbelievable: I don’t need any unlocks, game modes or other bollocks. I just need more personal time to be able to play some unreasonably long sessions with people on comms 😀 sorry this post got away from me a bit too long

1 minute ago, Oz said:

I quit at 3 then played destiny obsessively for years. So now coming back to this and feeling the gameplay is just unbelievable: I don’t need any unlocks, game modes or other bollocks. I just need more personal time to be able to play some unreasonably long sessions with people on comms 😀 sorry this post got away from me a bit too long

I think if anyone is guilty of long posts today it's me lol, that's what working from home does to you!

On the contrary, I think most people here are in the same camp as you dude, I don't care about progression, I'll happily sit in ranked all day. I've added a load of people from here, to try and fill up our party if we're missing a slot because a group on comms beats randoms every time. It's simply the best experience, banter, callouts and all the rage with friends is better than any cash cow shop or progression systems they can throw at us :)

The whole matchmaking thing is an interesting one, and how you actually balance that when you have teams. I think they try and do this by rating how likely you should be to win, and this affects how much CSR you gain or lose in a match.

Assuming most people with less than 3 are playing in the solo/duos queue the other queue has to try and match up almost entire teams. Now most of the time I play in a group we are actually a wide range, we have an Onyx player, a high platinum, a mid level platinum and a high gold player. Now the chances of us coming up against that exact match up is highly unlikely. For us I can understand why we get swings either way, do 2 diamond on a team make up for the Onyx, and then you have a what in the other two places? Generally our Onyx goes pretty +ve whenever we play as a 4, but dependent on whether the game decides to balance that out with 3 diamonds and a gold, or 4 high level platinums can have a massive effect as 3 diamonds can end up ripping through the other 3 of us. Where as 4 high level platinums becomes potentially easy with our Onyx often ripping them to shreds and being the big difference maker, while the rest of us pick up the others coming off split spawns etc. I'm not really sure how it could ever balance it for us.

Yea, I think we're in a similar situation but maybe just a tiny bit higher which has an even worse effect. If we're in a 3, we're normally mid diamonds and a high Onyx so we either get balanced matches or rather matches that feel "fair" in that they have 3xdiamonds and an Onyx OR we get, and often have, 2-3, sometimes even a full Onyx stack to play against and we just get shredded. 

There isn't too much of a skill gap between a mid diamond player and a "new" onyx player, say 1500-1550 ish but if we're playing against a team of Onyx 1600-1700, it's just too much for me and our other Diamond player most of the time. 

Leaked game modes for upcoming events. The internet seems to think everything in the image will be for cyber showdown, personally I think all the tactical slayer stuff will be for the tactical ops event. 

Either way, some new game modes at least ^^ 

events2.jpg

you know @Kryptonian only just now while working from home did I realise you meant you had 'liked' my youtube video. I thought you meant here in RLL

you are my first ever liked or disliked video. I have 100% likes at the moment. my channel is taking off

Just now, Oz said:

you know @Kryptonian only just now while working from home did I realise you meant you had 'liked' my youtube video. I thought you meant here in RLL

you are my first ever liked or disliked video. I have 100% likes at the moment. my channel is taking off

I did mean on here but will make sure I like on YouTube too! Don’t forget us when you’re a millionaire pls

Just now, Kryptonian said:

I did mean on here but will make sure I like on YouTube too! Don’t forget us when you’re a millionaire pls

oh shit I have another like from someone else on youtube! it's finally happening!

Just now, Oz said:

oh shit I have another like from someone else on youtube! it's finally happening!

Quick get on Twitch now....#IWasThere. 

On a different note, just had my mind blow on reddit. Apparently the AI that appears in the zones in strongholds looks in the direction of the player in the zone. 

I.E On certain maps, you can tell where to look for someone hiding. 

Absolute madness.