IGNORED

Halo Infinite online: gamertags, organisation, clips, war stories etc

Benny

18 minutes ago, Triple A said:

having a new, custom engine does this every time.  they really ought to have learned from all the other industry horror stories by now

So this is in no way just the old bungie engine then? If not it certainly feels the same. Good and bad 

3 minutes ago, Oz said:

So this is in no way just the old bungie engine then? If not it certainly feels the same. Good and bad 

Nah they used a new engine for this, then realised they had no clue how to use it. 

given the extensive knowledge MS would have had from not only its own projects, but all the third party stuff, re new custom engines needing time and projects to prove them out - they really should have put out at least one title using the engine, before putting it to use with Halo - of all the brands in the Xbox portfolio!

piss poor project and portfolio management.

Just now, Triple A said:

given the extensive knowledge MS would have had from not only its own projects, but all the third party stuff, re new custom engines needing time and projects to prove them out - they really should have put out at least one title using the engine, before putting it to use with Halo of all the brands in the Xbox portfolio.

piss poor project and portfolio management.

As has been said before, it's ironic how a studio made to just solely produce Halo games has failed in every effort to do so. 

My understanding from the Bloomberg article (although it is a bit ambiguous) is that it's a 'new' engine in the way that Bethesda PR makes a big deal about every new RPG having a 'new' engine. People have made lists of legacy bugs that have been in there since Halo 3 that are still evident in Infinite.

Video games are built using software tools called gaming engines. The engine used to build Halo was one that 343 had based largely on old code from Bungie. Parts of the engine, a set of tools called Faber, became infamous at the studio for being buggy and difficult to use. Within engineering, there’s a concept known as “tech debt,” which refers to problems one puts up with because the previous programmers of a system chose quick, easy solutions over more sustainable ones. Faber’s code, some of which dated to the early 2000s, had so much debt that some 343 engineers mockingly referred to its “tech bankruptcy.”

1 hour ago, Oz said:

I wonder what it is that makes them inefficient. It is weird that the only other studio to have worked in halo are also bafflingly inefficient. I have always wondered about bungie. in terms of pvp destiny 2 still has mostly the maps it came with with no changes to said maps since 5 years ago. and they seem to spend absolute ages working on content to then release some small bit of DLC with mostly rehashed content from the base game. They are also a huge studio and were getting support from activition with satellite studios. In the meantime insomniac release a game every 2 months. what is the difference?  Any educated insights from people with game developer experience?

In Bungie's case there were lots of reports (when people were puzzled by how scarce content was and slow they were updating it) that the engine was an utter dog to use and it took them a day or something to do the simplest things like move the position of a rock on a map. The Destiny engine was a fork from the Halo engine, 343 used another fork. If the Slipstream Engine is the latest iteration of this fork then you have two massive studios (both have over 700 employees each) both struggling with it.

Reminds me a bit of how whenever there's a post-mortem of whatever the latest EA disaster is, the word Frostbite usually features heavily.

This article is worth a read. It’s feels a bit sanitised and appears to have been written with MS approval, but it does offer some insights on what happened during development.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-08/how-microsoft-s-halo-infinite-went-from-disaster-to-triumph

On 31/12/2021 at 14:35, Varsity said:

That's the kinda stuff I need at the moment haha, if you want some games gimme a shout >.< 

just added you, I'll be around a bit more now party season is over

Another day, another war story video.  This time, getting the Fastball medal!  Sneakily pummelling a Scorpion with a skewer then finishing it off with a frag.  Just like out of Shaving Ryan's Privates.

I had a good comeback on this ranked match. My confidence was really low. I messed up with mouse settings and could not get my aim to work again. I ended up playing too defensively but this team really wanted to win. 

Spoiler

Awesome!  Well played 🙂

Latest tactic I'm having fun with, is spamming the threat sensors in Fiesta.  Makes a marked difference to team effectiveness and makes the opposing team shit themselves!

hey! my aim is back (sort of). the matchmaking gods game me this little new year's present. I should probably go to bed here.

btw: I almost never use the sniper so I assume everyone knows this. but I could see through objects with the scope! is that a bug or feature? 

Ok I don’t really have highlights most of the time as I’m not a particularly skilful player, but I have a nice barrel throw from miles away and also this 30 second stretch never to be repeated. Apologies for literally just filming the screen on my phone.

1 hour ago, sir stiff_one said:

Ok I don’t really have highlights most of the time as I’m not a particularly skilful player, but I have a nice barrel throw from miles away and also this 30 second stretch never to be repeated. Apologies for literally just filming the screen on my phone.

Nicely done!

8 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Crazy game of Oddball - everyone was playing for the objective, I was teamed up with my son and my best mate. Tremendous evening.

I feel one of those should have been a backsmack. The game is kinda weird about deciding to award them. 

8 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Oh god I just ordered a headset.  I’ve resisted for so long!

You're in for a treat. The sounds in this are incredible when you crank it up with a headset on. 

Best sounding guns in gaming? Possibly.

Just now, Boothjan said:

You're in for a treat. The sounds in this are incredible when you crank it up with a headset on. 

Best sounding guns in gaming? Possibly.

There’s a nice little crunch with headshots. The skewer also stands out. 

9 minutes ago, Varsity said:

The level of enjoyment between playing with friends all of whom are on comms and playing in silence with randoms is night and day. 

Yeah, yesterday was first session and I really enjoyed it, makes playing it on my own this morning a pretty dull affair.

One question, do people use the zoom on the battle rifle more than not?

Firing from the hip with the BR almost all the time. Unless it's from long distance, of course. Aiming down the sights wastes precious milliseconds!

And totally agree - playing with friends is so much better than soloing. 

13 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah, yesterday was first session and I really enjoyed it, makes playing it on my own this morning a pretty dull affair.

One question, do people use the zoom on the battle rifle more than not?

Zooming kills your peripheral vision and puts a glint on your scope which makes you easier to spot. Also when they fire at you you will be automatically descoped.

I think scoping should mainly be used for long distance engagements in which you either have a flank or angle or your are pre scoping where you think they will be.

If you stay zoomed for a long time or in the same position you will quickly become a target. If you are out in the open they will team shoot you and if you are in a room they will spam grenades. 

11 hours ago, Varsity said:

The level of enjoyment between playing with friends all of whom are on comms and playing in silence with randoms is night and day. 

BIlly nae mates :(