IGNORED

Final Fantasy XVII - High Tech or Low Tech?

Sabreman

Would you be satisfied with a lower-tech FF, or do you demand they be graphical showcases?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've been playing through the Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster, with an eye to go through the whole set from I-VI. I know it's still as basic as they come in terms of storytelling and structure, but the immediacy of it is so refreshing despite its heavy reliance on repetition and random encounters. It got me wondering about the tolerance among FF fans for a throwback entry in the main series in the style of Octopath Traveler and the upcoming Triangle Strategy. In much the same way Dragon Quest XI had its 2D option, the scale of the story and characters could be retained, but the game wouldn't take 10 years to make and cost a bazillion dollars. I might be wrong, but I think in general JRPG fans are more interested in characters, story, and digging into game systems than they are in chasing cutting-edge tech?

Another benefit is that it could actually run on the Switch ;)

• Sabreman changed the title to Final Fantasy XVII - High Tech or Low Tech?

If the high tech could deliver some radical new gameplay then maybe, but I’m not too bothered about graphics. I only played through Chrono Trigger for the first time this year and it was awesome, but that game’s fine with the visuals it has.

1 hour ago, Qazimod said:

If the high tech could deliver some radical new gameplay then maybe, but I’m not too bothered about graphics. I only played through Chrono Trigger for the first time this year and it was awesome, but that game’s fine with the visuals it has.

fine? FINE??? !!!

Take that back, NOW! It's a fucking masterpiece 🥰

I think at this stage the main series may as well be a big AAA production. That is, after all, what FFVI, VII etc. were when they came out. It's more in the spirit of the series to keep pushing forward, doing new things with the battle systems and so on (even if it doesn't always work).

It's also fine because other series can fill in the other gaps. Dragon Quest can stay a bit more traditional, and spinoffs or titles like Octopath can take on the 2D style.

I think the main Final Fantasy series should always be striving to be something new and impressive, and not a throwback. When I was growing up, a new Final Fantasy game was always a big event for me, and they always managed to wow me with their stories, graphics and music. The series didn't manage to maintain this record for me after X, but I'd love to play a new Final Fantasy that had the same effect the PS1 games did at the time.

That's not to say SE shouldn't bother making games like Octopath Strategy, but I think people would have been a bit taken aback if that was released as Final Fantasy XVI.

On 16/11/2021 at 22:30, Jamie John said:

I thought this thread would be about whether the next FF should be sci-fi styled, like VII, or Medieval/Renaissance styled, like IX. The correct answer is the latter: it's been too long since a ye olde style FF.

16 is ‘medieval style’ so that should give the desired fix.

To the OP - each new numbered FF has always been created with an intention to push host hardware. I think the question is pretty moot tbh.

The next mainline Final Fantasy should ditch the cast of bland, androgenous, pretty popstar people and go either:

Full Final Fantasy 9 style again with an outlandish cast of varied races in a chibi-ish style.

Or

Emulate the beautiful character art of Amano 1 for 1 and commit to a laborious acrylic/watercolour artstyle.

No chance of either but I'd dearly love to see a talented team do the second one.

While I haven’t actually played IX yet (I’ve had it sitting on my Switch for a couple of years now) I must say the weird chibi character art is not appealing at all. I suppose look to Bravely Default for modern games in a similar (similarly unappealing) style? It’s the proportions in both IX and the BD series that are odd for me. Dwarvish doll things, often with sexy tits. It’s weird and unsettling.

What if they went back to the character art style of XII? I felt that straddled a fine line between representation and stylisation very successfully. While not particularly Amano-looking, XII’s characters really felt evocative of Akihiko Yoshida’s concept art. Great faces in that game that still hold up despite being late PS2 era.

Also, FWIW, although it certainly doesn’t have a watercoloury rendering style, I think XIV is the closest of all the games to resembling Amano’s designs. Particularly the architecture, armour, many of the enemies and all of the mechanical mounts. That whole game seems like a love letter to the entire series, so it feels appropriate that it should wear the Amano designs so prominently on its sleeve, albeit not so much in the character faces at all really. 

Give characters XII-ish Akihiko Yoshida-style faces going forward, and continue to dress, situate and transport them in Amano-looking fare and I’d be chuffed. 

In saying all that, why not just keep things going the way they have been, pushing tech and striving for fantastical realism, as per XV and VII:R, which are both frequently stunning games (VII:R Intergrade especially)?

15 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

While I haven’t actually played IX yet (I’ve had it sitting on my Switch for a couple of years now) I must say the weird chibi character art is not appealing at all. I suppose look to Bravely Default for modern games in a similar (similarly unappealing) style? It’s the proportions in both IX and the BD series that are odd for me. Dwarvish doll things, often with sexy tits. It’s weird and unsettling.

What if they went back to the character art style of XII? I felt that straddled a fine line between representation and stylisation very successfully. While not particularly Amano-looking, XII’s characters really felt evocative of Akihiko Yoshida’s concept art. Great faces in that game that still hold up despite being late PS2 era.

Also, FWIW, although it certainly doesn’t have a watercoloury rendering style, I think XIV is the closest of all the games to resembling Amano’s designs. Particularly the architecture, armour, many of the enemies and all of the mechanical mounts. That whole game seems like a love letter to the entire series, so it feels appropriate that it should wear the Amano designs so prominently on its sleeve, albeit not so much in the character faces at all really. 

Give characters XII-ish Akihiko Yoshida-style faces going forward, and continue to dress, situate and transport them in Amano-looking fare and I’d be chuffed. 

In saying all that, why not just keep things going the way they have been, pushing tech and striving for fantastical realism, as per XV and VII:R, which are both frequently stunning games (VII:R Intergrade especially)?

IX is fantastic, played it at the time and coming from VIII it was a revelation.

The problem I had with Octopath was that it wasn't a vast, grandiose storyline, with mainline FF's of old, there was this massive overarching plot, which just got more intense and ridiculous as the game went on, the graphics of the day were always outstanding and pushing the limits, which brought you to the game, and then you stayed for the story.

With the latest installments post X, the graphics are just OK, but still a draw, the story telling has just been a bit guff though and as such I've no interest in them.

A 2.5D game with the production values and story telling of the older games would be superb, but so would one with newer graphics, just so long as it's actually fun to play and not just a REALLY long and obtuse version of DMC/ Bayonetta, which is kind of how I have seen the series head, more action, less dedication to the feel of the games.

These are just my own ramblings though 😛