IGNORED

Mass Effect Returns!

Captain Kelsten

20 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

Interested to see how they handle the events of the first 3 games, will there just be one canon story?

The bit after the credit rolled where Shepard does a Carrie.

The man will never die in my heart.

Love some publications comparing the vehicle in this too the Normandy and whatever the shite that one was called in Andromeda. 

Come on people, this is clearly a lander. Looks barely big enough to have a bog. 

We all know the ship is where most the games goodness happens, so it will be sized appropriately. Maybe I am just jaded by games journalism.  

11 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

Well clearly can’t be a Geth as my undoubtedly canon ending had them

Hide contents

being wiped out along with all synthetic life forms (after I sided with them and let the Quarians die, oops).

Wtf! You monster!

Highlights what I was getting at earlier. Everyone had such different events in their playthrough they can't possibly accommodate them all. 

If they fudged it a bit, I think they could do a Deus Ex 2 and have all three endings as the lead into the new Mass Effect game. Like, if the destruction of machine life and the synthesis of human and machine life were localised pockets of annihilation and strange new forms, rather than something that happens in a uniform way across the entire galaxy. The Milky Way would still be devastated and fundamentally changed, but you’d get areas where some remnant of the Geth survived, you’d get areas of weird human/machine hybrids, there’d be a region where Shepherd went with the reapers he now controls, and which has gone a bit Apocalypse Now.

2 hours ago, p1nseeker said:

Wtf! You monster!

Highlights what I was getting at earlier. Everyone had such different events in their playthrough they can't possibly accommodate them all. 

Well it was a bit of an accident as I was aiming to save both but I was forced to choose and let’s face it Tali aside, the Quarians are more the party in the wrong so I had no qualms in going with the Geth.

Unfortunately when it got to the ending (and I did the original version), Destroy was the only option I thought made sense…sorry Geth (and EDI)… 

I think the writing is going to be key, Biowares writing was already declining throughout the original series, and then Andromeda was the worst it's ever been. The less said about Anthem the better.

3 hours ago, K said:

If they fudged it a bit, I think they could do a Deus Ex 2 and have all three endings as the lead into the new Mass Effect game. Like, if the destruction of machine life and the synthesis of human and machine life were localised pockets of annihilation and strange new forms, rather than something that happens in a uniform way across the entire galaxy. The Milky Way would still be devastated and fundamentally changed, but you’d get areas where some remnant of the Geth survived, you’d get areas of weird human/machine hybrids, there’d be a region where Shepherd went with the reapers he now controls, and which has gone a bit Apocalypse Now.

None of that sounds particularly attractive tbh.

1 hour ago, K said:

5 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

None of that sounds particularly attractive tbh.

Well how's about that for a 'fuck your shit idea m8' :lol:

Or this is a prequel maybe? The teaser trailer seemed to reference the first contact war, when humans first encountered Aliens. Which in Massive Effect cannon is when they were attempting to start up a Mass Effect relay and the Turans showed up and blew them all up (but then the Humans came back a few days later and kicked the shit out of the Turians).

https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/First_Contact_War 

1 hour ago, Doctor Shark said:

Well how's about that for a 'fuck your shit idea m8' :lol:

I just said it didn't sound attractive! The ME3 ending is a total shitshow, making it the foundational thing for your whole setting seems an incredibly poor idea. I think they'll generally try and steer as far away from that as possible, both for "nobody wants it" reasons as well as onboarding reasons that requiring new buyers to be au fait with three several-generation-old games is probably not a good idea.

Prediction: It'll be the same races and same setting, they'll have one big change that wasn't one of the endings like Mass Relays no longer work or the Council has collapsed or disbanded to create a break with the past and justify things being different. There will be Force Awakens style visuals like lots of Reaper wreckage everywhere and some new threat which is just the Reapers tech becoming undead and reviving or something.

12 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Or this is a prequel maybe? The teaser trailer seemed to reference the first contact war, when humans first encountered Aliens. Which in Massive Effect cannon is when they were attempting to start up a Mass Effect relay and the Turans showed up and blew them all up (but then the Humans came back a few days later and kicked the shit out of the Turians).

https://masseffect.fandom.com/wiki/First_Contact_War 

In the teaser trailer you see a reaper and what looks like the destroyed Citadel I think.

7 minutes ago, p1nseeker said:

In the teaser trailer you see a reaper and what looks like the destroyed Citadel I think.

Ah yes, you're quite right. After watching it again it appears to start from the First Contact War then go through the events and ending of the trilogy and then end up at what looks to be a very long time in the future (I mean, you know, more so). 

1 hour ago, K said:

Some of that is similar to my ideas. Only in mine it's somewhat less bleak. If people chose destroy (which while not my choice, is statistically the most chosen, because humans are an anthropocentric bag of dicks) then Shepard lives on, and has helped rebuild and, given the option of synthesis was pointed out by the catalyst, helps the galaxy achieve that whereby individuals, organic and synthetic alike, have a choice to undergo synthesis, with Shepard being the first to undergo this (this is most contentious element for those who like destroy). And like you said, there are pockets of the galaxy that weren't affected for whatever reason, so there will still be some Geth out there, but by the time of this game Shepard has long since passed ... kinda.

If Synthesis (not my choice either) was chosen then again, it didn't affect all the galaxy, and with the advancements on technology available through synthesis, both organic and synthetic lifeforms can choose to revert back to their past selves. Meanwhile, having synthesis along with Shepard's augments from the Lazarus project, Shepard lives longer, but he is still dead by the time of this game, as for the reapers, well this leads on to...

If Control was (correctly) chosen, then there can still be those who choose synthesis, but it's an option Shepard, as controller of the Reapers, offers as a choice to the galaxy. However, once this balance of organic, synthetic, and synthesistic (new word!) life is achieved, Shepard feels the reapers themselves are too much of a danger, with too much power, and shuts them all down. 

So once that all happens, you have organic life, synthetic life, and those who have chosen synthesis. Shepard is gone. All three endings covered. But what of Shepard? Well, at the point of shutting down the Reapers, he's more of a collective AI. Think the Novacorp Worldmind from Guardians of Galaxy - which I only know about thanks to the excellent game which everyone should play!

So what does this lead to in the new game? A new threat to the galaxy, obviously. I mean, what else is there? And with this new threat the galaxy, even with all its technological advancements, is in grave danger. So they seek a legend. In the years since the events of London on Earth, the tale of "the Shepherd" is told all through the galaxies, in many forms. To the point where the former Council Spectre, N7 operative, and Alliance Commander, is more myth then legend. But there's at least one person still alive who knows the real story, and embarks on a quest to awaken the legend. 

I can't help feel you guys have far more care and interest in the integrity of the lore than any of the writers are going to, you're setting yourselves up for disappointment if you expect the ME3 ending to be anything other than an event referred to obliquely with a Proper Noun, like the Burn(ham).

And we really don't need another "map to Skywalker" plot.