IGNORED

Deep Rock Galactic (PC, consoles)

alex3d

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Rock and stone, brothers!

My son and I have just started playing this as a less stressful alternative to Sea of Thieves and it’s great fun with so much personality!

Anyone else still play? Any tips for beginners? He’s playing as Driller I was gunner but want to try engineer instead. 

I had a blast but as per usual gave up when it felt like a daily/weekly/season job and the difficulty reached a point where you kind of needed to know what you were doing. I went for engineer, it feels like a support class with its ability to create platforms to reach resources/safe places. Also, turrets.

39 minutes ago, df0 said:

I had a blast but as per usual gave up when it felt like a daily/weekly/season job and the difficulty reached a point where you kind of needed to know what you were doing. I went for engineer, it feels like a support class with its ability to create platforms to reach resources/safe places. Also, turrets.

Why did it feel like a job?

What I've noticed and really like is that is has a season pass, but it's completely free, and any cosmetics you missed because you weren't playing/didn't rank up enough are cycled back into the game as rare drops, so you never completely miss out on anything. Love that approach.

ALso, some fans made this song:

And the Devs loved it so much (and rightly so because it's fudging amazing) they used it in the Playstation release trailer. 

It's one of those "daily log in bonus" games (or weekly, can't remember. There's some sort of login bonus thingie right). Also Seasons which I do not like, it makes me feel like I need to play to get that "I completed it" rush. Maybe that says more about me than about the game.

For what it is worth, I loved my dozens of hours with it. Cracking game.

8 minutes ago, df0 said:

It's one of those "daily log in bonus" games (or weekly, can't remember. There's some sort of login bonus thingie right). Also Seasons which I do not like, it makes me feel like I need to play to get that "I completed it" rush. Maybe that says more about me than about the game.

For what it is worth, I loved my dozens of hours with it. Cracking game.

Typically I’d agree with you about daily log ins and seasons, but they’ve done it in such a way that takes mostly stuff you can get anyway just by playing, the bonus and the pass just get it a bit quicker. Really like their approach to it. 

Rock and stone! 

11 hours ago, Captain Kelsten said:

Anyone else still play? Any tips for beginners? He’s playing as Driller I was gunner but want to try engineer instead. 

My advice would be give all the classes a shot and then stick with one for a while, as it gets better fun once you get more upgrades. Once you can start to master the skillset for a class its really satisfying as well, and as they all play differently its good to stick with one and get competent with it. I'd recommend going for slightly harder difficulty missions as they're a lot more fun once you have the basics down, you can do that via the server browser that pops up when you're in mission select. Also, use the map. And be sure to rinse every mineral you can find, it all adds up and helps to unlock upgrades more quickly.

I personally enjoyed the Scout a lot, zipping all around with the grappling hook, finding minerals, going for insane revives and lighting up the place with flares. All of the classes are fun though.

once you manage to unlock and spec the shotgun for the engineer its amazing. a 9 shot auto shotgun that fires like a machine gun? all while you have turrets and cheese guns. mix in the electric fence thrower specced for damage and you're pretty invincible. i love it.

Me and @Polmon play this regularly on PS5. Such an awesome little game and I think each class has something to offer. I’m just finishing off the Driller class. Then need to finish each unlock.

We normally leave the game open to ransoms and overall they’re not much trouble, but odd occasion we’ve had to kick. 

such a great game.

Yeah, I still dip into this frequently as it offers such a unique online experience. So much fun and for a game where you can get badly mobbed at times, quite relaxing. Such a nice community of players too.

I have promoted each of the characters once now, but my main is the Driller as I think he's the most versatile and fun to play. Flamethrower/Microwave gun is an amazing combo.

I guess my top tips for online play are

- use the pointer tool a LOT to communicate. It's incredibly useful. Especially for particularly dangerous monsters.

- prioritize getting at least 80 nitra ASAP. You can quickly get into a tight spot and find you both have no ammo or the means to get any more.

- Learn to read the hud and indicators for player tools (like the Drillers C4) as soon as you can. It's very well refined these days and allows you to work better as a team and prevents accidents.

- Never stop Rock and Stoning.

Slap the dice for good luck. Just like you clickity-click the barbecue tongs before using em in real life, you slappity-slap the dice in the transporter before the mission commences.

I adore this game and it's criminal it doesn't have more of an audience here. It's the coop game of the generation. Or last generation. Both generations? Whatever, it's amazing. Left 4 Dead meets Minecraft (only in the sense that you do mining) meets Starship Troopers, with drunken space dwarves.

I've put a scary amount of hours in over the last few days. Currently level 15 engineer, 8 gunner and 6 scout, player level is 8. I've completed the first 10 mission assignment and now opened up the ability to do other assignments, including getting new weapons on my engineer which is cool. I got an SMG which I will never use because the warthog shotgun the engineer starts with is so. so. good.

Engineer is going to be first to 25 so I can open up the endgame stuff.