IGNORED

Tim Rogers’ Action Button Video Games Videos

ZOK

It's crazy to watch a review and think afterwards, "I am a fan of this reviewer." That's what happened after watching his Dragon Quest XI review, though (as well as selling me on the game itself in a way that no other review even got close to). 

Since then, a Tim Rogers video will usually get a click from me, even if I have no interest in the game. I thought the Action Button reviews were too long, then I sat and watched him talk about Tokumeki Memorial for 5 hours. Great stuff. Think of it his Action Button videos as a mini-series that you watch in episodes. 

We're all playing checkers and he's playing 3 games of Time Chess simultaneously. Love him.

37 minutes ago, Trumpets said:

He could orate better than Winston Churchill, Martin Luther King and Cicero all rolled into one, but he knowingly uses uncapitalised "i's" on his Twitter so it's a hard pass from me.

That's a weird stance to take, dude. Weird old stance. 

Two minutes of no talking and just some shots of him to eventually spending anoother full minute and still going when I stopped listening telling me exactly who published the game on which platform and which territory?   He can get fucked.   Does the same in the next one I watched.   Yeah I'm good thanks.  I did indeed choose my own review. It lasted less than 2 minutes. So I guess there's that

3 hours ago, R0b said:

Agreed that a better hobby is a pouring of contrarian scorn everywhere, but it's okay to diversify. :lol:

I'm just prodding at your pride at only giving something with depth 2 minutes, obv. 

I did go off and see another video to see if it was a style for that one video but he pretty much did the same ok the next one I saw.  I’ve got an attention span I just don’t want to listen to someone tell me that the game was released on Xbox, ps4 and pc and on pc it was published by country manor productions and on Xbox it was Loud Neighbours Ltd, but only in China, in the EU it was Six Axis Productions and in the US it was Deep Blue Solutions while the ps4 versions were done by Sony themsevles apart from New Zealand where there was a really curious deal to allow Burger King to distribute it and last there’s the Xbox version that in France was published by March Forensics which is not the same March Forensics in Portugal who also published the Xbox version in that territory.  I’d have to ask if anyone in this thread cares who the publishers were for each platform and territory.  Feels very much like a Rainman homage. 

I’ll watch long form stuff but it’s actually got to be something I care about. I don’t care about publishers or what minor alteration was made in each territory. 

33 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

I did go off and see another video to see if it was a style for that one video but he pretty much did the same ok the next one I saw.  I’ve got an attention span I just don’t want to listen to someone tell me that the game was released on Xbox, ps4 and pc and on pc it was published by country manor productions and on Xbox it was Loud Neighbours Ltd, but only in China, in the EU it was Six Axis Productions and in the US it was Deep Blue Solutions while the ps4 versions were done by Sony themsevles apart from New Zealand where there was a really curious deal to allow Burger King to distribute it and last there’s the Xbox version that in France was published by March Forensics which is not the same March Forensics in Portugal who also published the Xbox version in that territory.  I’d have to ask if anyone in this thread cares who the publishers were for each platform and territory.  Feels very much like a Rainman homage. 

I’ll watch long form stuff but it’s actually got to be something I care about. I don’t care about publishers or what minor alteration was made in each territory. 

And that's only two minutes. Can you imagine how much of an impact he would make on you with multiple hours? :P

4 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Two minutes of no talking and just some shots of him to eventually spending anoother full minute and still going when I stopped listening telling me exactly who published the game on which platform and which territory?   He can get fucked.   Does the same in the next one I watched.   Yeah I'm good thanks.  I did indeed choose my own review. It lasted less than 2 minutes. So I guess there's that

…wwwwwwwoooooooooooooSSHH! 

5 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

Fine fine.  I'll try a few more  :)

No. Don't try a few more. Take the time and watch just one of the fucking things all the way through. You'll either get it or you won't. If you don't like one of 'em, then the chances are you're not gonna like any of the other ones because this is his schtick!

I haven't watched the cyberpunk review yet, but I did watch every single one of the FF7 translation videos he did.

It was a subject I was interested in as I'd heard for 2 decades that the English translation wasn't great and missed out quite a bit of detail from the japanese.

For most of the episodes it was exactly what I was looking for, and then by the end of the final episode I was fully invested in his story and somehow left feeling nostalgic for a life and time I never lived. It was a real journey.

1 hour ago, Ste Pickford said:

I can totally see why anyone might not like his videos, and completely bounce off his style.

I like them, and I think you're missing out if you don't get it, but it hardly makes someone an idiot for not liking them.

That’s not entirely true - there are people who don’t like him who are morons, and that’s why they don’t like him. @rafaqat isn’t one of them.

I never liked what I read of his stuff, especially his GamesTM column which I found completely inscruitable. So I just avoided his work over the years.

Then for some reason I watched his Dragon Quest 11 review when it came out and really loved the bit about the towns.

And then the other day, thanks to this thread, I watched most of the Doom review. Got to admit I skipped around until I found something immediately interesting, the E1M1 bit, and then just watched from there to the end.

It's brilliant.

It's genuinely very funny, oozes with affection for the game and all his points are put across with a mix of meticulous detail and meandering silliness. It's the longwinded nature that makes it work, elevates his opinions and points about the game from a collection of personal truisms he reels off for you to either agree or disagree with, to something you can get inside of and see from his perspective.

Ironically, he's determined that going forward his stuff is going to be much more digestible and frequent (the original Patreon pledge was something like a 1-hour video every month). I'll miss the insane depth of these, but I'd rather he didn't make himself seriously ill making them.

2 hours ago, Sabreman said:

Ironically, he's determined that going forward his stuff is going to be much more digestible and frequent (the original Patreon pledge was something like a 1-hour video every month). I'll miss the insane depth of these, but I'd rather he didn't make himself seriously ill making them.

Dan Carlin used to say that about his history podcasts. Never happened.

5 hours ago, Sabreman said:

Dude, he's joking.

I love these videos, I’ve watched all of the hours minus 1 of the C2077 review. 

What precisely does “goblinized” and “goblinization” mean - is he referring to the practice of “hacking” a game’s systems for the path of least resistance, a pathological, mindless loop of thoughtless murder, looting, rinsing and repeating?

shit I’ve started to sound like him