IGNORED

Sega & Microsoft - helping hand

djbhammer

So they're using Azure and MS will be supporting them in that is what I get from that press release. But the internet has already picked up the ball and run with it and you've got Reddit convincing itself that it means Jet Set Radio 3, Panzer Dragoon in 4K and Sonic and Master Chief at the Commonwealth Games.

28 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It’s just step 1 in MS buying Sega. 

Step 1 was Sega putting Windows CE on the Dreamcast.

Step 2 was Jet Set Radio Future and Crazy Taxi 3 being Xbox exclusives.

This is just a very, very delayed step 3.

If MS were to buy SEGA, I'd like to just see them actually sort out the direction that the stupid company is going in. 

Maybe actually make more and more Sonic Mania games and not refuse to green-light a sequel would be a good start! 

They're sitting on an absolutely Goldmine of IP that they seem to be doing nothing with. Funding and direction would be good! 

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

They're sitting on an absolutely Goldmine of IP that they seem to be doing nothing with. Funding and direction would be good! 

Yep. That's why I would be happy if they partnered with Microsoft for something like that. Microsoft has massive funds, Sega has loads of Xbox exclusives from years past. They have a history. Thanks to their focus on game pass, Microsoft would be more willing to fund whatever and however many games Sega's dev teams would want to work on - the aim is to fill their library with interesting titles rather than maximize sales figures. I think that with them as a partner, we would have the biggest chance of Sega reviving the titles we all want to see.

I really don't think Sega are sitting on a goldmine of IP.

Even in the most nostalgic-focused era of endless remasters and whatever, they've really struggled to generate any interest in their back catalogue, how many services have they started to re-release titles and then shut down after finding there's barely any demand? Sega Forever, Sega Ages, now the latest Switch Expansion Pak, where apparently the reason it was so expensive was because of Mega Drive games that no one under 45 gives the slightest shit about.

The industry has well and truly moved on.

Their list of game series is a litany of stuff that isn't especially popular in the grand scheme of things, but is hugely popular with (for want of a better phrase) aging nerds. There are exceptions like the Sonic & Yakuza games, but for the most part their franchises ground to a halt because people didn't buy enough games to justify making more of them. Speaking as an aging nerd, I would love to see another Outrun game or another Vanquish, but I don't blame anyone for not stumping up the cash for a new one.

They remind me a bit of those attempts by Universal to revive their various monster series because they're much beloved by people who are into that whole golden age of Hollywood thing, where they occasionally wheel out their hilariously generic characters like a mummy, or a wolf man or a dracula to broad indifference.

I mean, there's a list of their series here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_video_game_franchises

It's mostly eighties coin-ops and doomed Saturn games. Lovely stuff if you grew up reading C&VG, but not exactly anyone's idea of a goldmine.

14 minutes ago, K said:

Their list of game series is a litany of stuff that isn't especially popular in the grand scheme of things, but is hugely popular with (for want of a better phrase) aging nerds. There are exceptions like the Sonic & Yakuza games, but for the most part their franchises ground to a halt because people didn't buy enough games to justify making more of them. Speaking as an aging nerd, I would love to see another Outrun game or another Vanquish, but I don't blame anyone for not stumping up the cash for a new one.

They remind me a bit of those attempts by Universal to revive their various monster series because they're much beloved by people who are into that whole golden age of Hollywood thing, where they occasionally wheel out their hilariously generic characters like a mummy, or a wolf man or a dracula to broad indifference.

I mean, there's a list of their series here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sega_video_game_franchises

It's mostly eighties coin-ops and doomed Saturn games. Lovely stuff if you grew up reading C&VG, but not exactly anyone's idea of a goldmine.

Hence me mentioning Microsoft and game pass just now. I completely understand not taking a gamble on a Binary Domain 2, an Outrun 3, Skies of Arcadia 2, or a new Jet Set if you're looking at the old game sales model - but titles like these would be perfect advertising for game pass. Wishful thinking, I know, but it's the only way I see these titles realistically happen.

Sega have a load of stuff that'd be ideal for filling in the gaps between major releases but theres no obvious blockbusters in there. 

That said, I wonder how value is placed on simply owning a name now. Microsoft are putting hundreds of millions into bringing back Perfect Dark which had one great game twenty odd years ago, a good game boy color game with a vibrating cartridge and a bog average 360 launch game. How much value does that franchise have beyond the name right now? 

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

Hence me mentioning Microsoft and game pass just now. I completely understand not taking a gamble on a Binary Domain 2, an Outrun 3, Skies of Arcadia 2, or a new Jet Set if you're looking at the old game sales model - but titles like these would be perfect advertising for game pass.

Would it? Not sure a sequel to a largely forgotten SF third person shooter that flopped in 2012 is going to be great advertising. Microsoft must be burning quite a lot of cash through Game Pass. Surely the incentive is to make/fund games that are relatively safe bets? Something like Outrun 3 would have to be pretty expensive to live up to the impact of Outrun 1 & 2. 

14 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Hence me mentioning Microsoft and game pass just now. I completely understand not taking a gamble on a Binary Domain 2, an Outrun 3, Skies of Arcadia 2, or a new Jet Set if you're looking at the old game sales model - but titles like these would be perfect advertising for game pass.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I really think in terms of generating hype amongst hobbyist gamers, the Sega titles I named in my previous post would do way more to generate hype and attract attention to GP than Perfect Dark. Imho

I really don't think so, they'd end up with the same sort of wider indifference that K mentioned. No one really cares about the Wasteland titles, for instance, that's an old franchise revived on Game Pass that presumably has fans.

And I mean, some of these are just franchises that never did well - JSRF only got funded by Microsoft in the first place as part of that post-2001 Sega "let's revive all our old franchises and put them everywhere" and none of them made money. And I'm not exactly sure mid-90s "rollerblades are the coolest" stuff that was dated in 2003 really works any better in 2021.

I think between Halo, Perfect Dark, James Bond and Indiana Jones Microsoft's first party is already kinda dangerously boomer-focused, I don't think they need more old shit that only dads care about.