IGNORED

Games that lose you at "hello"

Unofficial Who

49 minutes ago, kthxbliz said:

i don’t really appreciate the judgemental condescending tone in your reply to be honest. 

And you obviously didn’t read my response to the other reply. 

I don’t want a super realistic racer. PGR4 was a real sweet spot for me. I’d be delighted if someone can point out a racer with a similar balance between arcade and realism, and one which has no open world farting about. If there is one out there, I’d be interested to hear. 

Thanks.

Driveclub.

(If you can find it physically)

2 hours ago, kthxbliz said:

i don’t really appreciate the judgemental condescending tone in your reply to be honest. 

I don’t want a super realistic racer. PGR4 was a real sweet spot for me. I’d be delighted if someone can point out a racer with a similar balance between arcade and realism, and one which has no open world farting about. If there is one out there, I’d be interested to hear. 

Thanks.

If you’ve got an Xbox then Horizon 5 is launching next week and I’d definitely recommend giving it a go. Especially if you’ve got a Series console, as you can fast travel between the races and the hard drive in these new consoles means it only takes a few seconds, rather than minutes on the last gen consoles. It’s easily the best arcade racer around at the moment.

4 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Driveclub.

(If you can find it physically)

And virtually all the games in my post too. A Forza motorsport with assists on is no more "sim" than PG4 was.

2 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Depending on your tolerance for the lifestyle wank and dudebro stuff. It's an amazing racing game but dear lord is FH4 horrifically presented. Even DIRT is better.

Now let's not say things we can't take back.

At least Forza's dudebro stuff is about the events rather than 2 cunts making jokes to each other and forgetting to actually explain the thing.

The usual suspects here: Double Dragon, Street Fighter II, Sonic the Hedgehog, Metal Slug, Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, TLoZ: OOT, F-Zero X, Half-Life2, Resident Evil, RE4, Viewtiful Joe, Dark Souls, Vanquish, OutRun 2, MadWorld, Bloodborne, Death Stranding and lots more. Not Breath of the Wild funnily enough, though it eventually became my best game of all time.

3 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

The usual suspects here: Double Dragon, Street Fighter II, Sonic the Hedgehog, Metal Slug, Super Mario 64, Goldeneye, TLoZ: OOT, F-Zero X, Half-Life2, Resident Evil, RE4, Viewtiful Joe, Dark Souls, Vanquish, OutRun 2, MadWorld, Bloodborne, Death Stranding and lots more. Not Breath of the Wild funnily enough, though it eventually became my best game of all time.

Wrong thread, I hope

Tetris Effect

I've tried multiple times to get into this but it makes my eyes hurt. 

Skyward Sword

The first area is so god damn slow with the excessive tutorials.

Killer 7

That control scheme is a crime.

Dead or Alive 6

If we are being generous we can say that the depiction of women in this series has been questionable. In 6 they've take it to new levels where you have multiple women where the most preposterous thing about them is the idea that they are as old as 18.  

On 31/10/2021 at 20:05, cubik said:

Randomly generated environments put me right off. I'd rather someone designed the actual level, rather than the algorithm.

I was never interested in No Man's Sky for this reason, while i anticipated the release of Metroid Prime like nothing else before or since and loved it like nothing else too because of how sculpted the levels were. I like enclosed tight spaces too where you can't see ahead. Prime is designed so you don't know where you're being led as you explore.

I think randomly generated environments would work best for racing games, as F Zero X did it, especially if you're playing online with others so no one has an advantage. There's something pure about the design it promises, but a track that's so wrongly put together no one can navigate it is appealing to me. Just the racing game as a challenge in terms of trying to survive rather than doing a perfect lap.

9 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Well that's a new angle on the "Where's my easy mode?" debate.

No, a similar thing came up in that thread too. I think it was along the lines of if a difficulty mode was put in, how would people know what level the devs' intended experience of the game was meant to be. 

Yeah.

On 31/10/2021 at 09:37, Jarik said:

Red Dead Redemption.

Everyone was hyping up this game, so i got it cheap preowned.  I loaded it up, it was running on the title screen... & I couldn't even bring myself to press start.  I didn't want to be a cowboy.  The game was just totally uninteresting to me.  Turn off, uninstall & returned it to the store & I didn't even pretend any interest in the sequel.

:lol: Amazing.

A game with never ending tutorials. Bonus "nope" if the game is paused and I have to read a wall of text that explains things poorly.

Fictional example:

Use SQUARE when your AP is filled to perform an INT attack. If AP and MP are filled you deal bonus damage when your AFFINITY is at least 150%. Party members are not affected unless their AP and MP matches yours (90% or more).

On 03/11/2021 at 16:35, kthxbliz said:

Thanks.

I'd second DriveClub. Especially with all the expansion packs (if you can still get them). The expansion packs have a few cities in there too so making ever closer to PGR4's feel. However I just have a 360 and PGR4 hanging around to scratch that itch from time to time... plenty of other arcade racers on that too.

Agree mostly on Forza Horizon. It OK but they are very different games and are aiming for very different markets. 

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a weird one this considering it's a game I've not only completed but 100%ed due to really liking it. Spider-Man: Miles Morales has totally lost me on its second hello. I booted it up yesterday on New Game + after absolutely loving it last year and wanting to get into a bit of a Christmassy mood with some snowy swinging about New York. 

It doesn't let you skip half the cutscenes. On NEW GAME PLUS!!!

The very nature of New Game Plus is that I've played this game before and just fancy having a swing about and maybe smash through the campaign for the Platinum. I'm happy to watch some of the cutscenes but I can't for the life of me work out why you wouldn't let me skip story sections on a game I have played and completed to 100% and am now playing on a mode made for people who have already played it. 

Games that have this idea that “appealing to kids” = dumbing things down to the point of mediocrity. I mentioned this in the Balan Wonderworld thread: broadening appeal doesn’t need to be done by sacrificing an engaging experience. I mean, look at Mario, Kirby, Astro…